Let's prepare an ER info package that slam dunks the idiots we might encounter

beemerbeeper
on 12/18/10 10:26 am - AL
I'm feeling pretty special because I've only ever had one surgery in my life. And the only 4 times I've ever been in the hospital: age 10: pneumonia, child birth x2, DS.

So my surgical list is pretty short!! Yay me!!

adkmtngirl
on 12/18/10 10:24 pm - Brant Lake, NY
 Thats how I do mine too. 
Kristina

lisarn
on 12/18/10 11:08 am - Omaha, NE
As a nurse taking patient histories prior to surgeries and more recently GI procedures, we always take down the list of surgeries that pt's have. It's always relevant - knowing if the pt. could have adhesions, anatomy different (hello DS pt's!!), for example.

As far as the jump drive...I was thinking that they need to come up with one that is labeled as emergency medical information. Kind of like the bracelet thing, but on the jump drive, so that it is obvious that it has medical information on it so it would stand out. But I could see some hospitals not wanting staff to open up jump drives because of the threat of computer viruses.

The idea of an electronic medical record that is supposed to be mandatory would solve this issue for us. But every hospital system has it's own record - there is nothing that is standard between systems, so it's hard to share info from one hospital to the next.

HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

beemerbeeper
on 12/18/10 11:12 am - AL
Don't they have medical bracelets that have a website link to the person's medical info?

I hadn't thought of fear of viruses.

Is Paper the best thing then?

Elizabeth N.
on 12/18/10 11:38 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yeah, the labeling thing is a problem. I have tried to move around this issue with lots of info in my phone and on my drivers license, but that's probably not good enough. I have my dedicated jump drive labeled in big .letters in big tape on my key chain, but realize that it might not be enough.

The more I talk to med folks, the more it seems like it mostly depends on the patient being conscious and able to talk medicalese about their guts. For ME that's okay. I have a strong enough command of the language and a mega motivating light flashing in my brain that I know I'll scream and holler and rant about my gut IF I AM CONSCIOUS.

So, it seems to me that there are two scenarios: Conscious DS;er and unconscious DS'er.

Yeah, we know there are clueless DSers, but I'm not going to waste oxygen on those people They can figure out how to run to the Interwebz and get sunshine, rainbows and unicorns blown up their asses when they are ER-ripe.

Let's go to unconxcious informed vs. unconscious informed scenario. It seems that we all as DSers need to learn what info the EMTS/paramedics need vs. what the real ER people need vs. the info the further docs need. How can we sort out and catalog this info?

Here's my personal thoughts about how to sort the info:

EMT's/paramendics: Need know nothing about my gut. They MIGHT need to know of my hx of asthma or pulmonary htn, and so that's in my basic info. I take NO medications for this stuff and am basically fine, but have that history.

ER upon arrival : Hx of asthma and pulmonary hypertension. Current meds. End.

ER medical people: Hx of my altered gut and medical hx presented forcefully and with insistence that they call the surgeon. My experience thus far has been that I could do this personally and in good strong English, but I had a very strong, forceful document for the event that I couldn't talk.

Expectation at the ER level": They will know NOTHING about the DS but will also be unwilling to freak out at changes they don't recognize on scans and scopes. Unfortunately, at this point many people will experience how the docs go blank when we talk about blind limbs and CT with contrast.

I was fortunate in this regard. What I said was, "My intestine has been divided in about half, so only part of my small intestine is visible via usual methods. You MUST do CT with contrast or else, cuz it's a big Y and you will miss most of it." The ER guy listened and did contrast, cussing about it the whole time. I was right, he saw stuff he'd never seen before and told me as much.

Okay. How might we replicate my forcefulness and ER child's willingness to listen, look and apologize?
pycca
on 12/18/10 12:03 pm - Haslet, TX
Many hospitals are "scanning"  ( think walmart here) all meds and info and forms with barcodes on them that are patient specific.

It is  a shame they can't utilize something that could scan, from a bracelet or jump drive  as an assigned barcode,

if apple I phone has a bar scanner for grocery store,,technology is out there for a company to do it for med alerts,,,,,

Mine is a RED jump drive,  with med sign on it.. I drew it there,,,

Now it is up to a smart medical person to put it in a computer to upload,,,,,
Elizabeth N.
on 12/18/10 12:30 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Hrumph. How might we get a way to gather DS infor into a bar code
trxxyy
on 12/18/10 1:05 pm - Orange County, CA
There are free generators online but a traditional barcode probably has a very limited capacity to store data.  I think a 2D barcode might be more inline for what you want.  The QR 2D barcode is pretty cool since it can be read with cellphone running an Android OS.
pycca
on 12/19/10 1:04 am - Haslet, TX
That  is kind of the line I was thinking,,, it seems if you can point at things now with all my info with a barcode on it,, it could be scanned,,,

the iphone scanner actually scanned a barcode of me on admission for a test,,,did it as a fluk,,but it registered!

Have to look and see.. there has to be someone who is thinking outside the box....
beemerbeeper
on 12/19/10 2:33 am - AL
Somebody posted a link to one that is obviously a medical drive. It could be clipped to a key-chain or purse or belt loop.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 674 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1001 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 337 views