Too Few Calories???

Stephanie M.
on 6/23/10 12:10 am
I seem to be at a losing stand-still.  I am currently eating about 800 calories per day and it is pretty 38% protein, 30% carb, 32% fat (might be too high %).  I haven't been able to exercise due to the massive allergic reaction I have had on my belly...cannot even stand soft cotton moving across it when I move, but will be increasing activity now that it is starting to calm down.  Any and all ideas are welcome!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

coachgrrl
on 6/23/10 12:23 am, edited 6/23/10 12:23 am
 This happened to me a few weeks ago when i was a little too tight.  I was lucky to get in 800 cals a day, and my wt loss stalled.  I had a slight unfill .25cc , was able to eat my usual 1000-1200cal and saw a couple pounds drop off pretty quickly.  Most of my 800 cals was protein, when I went up to 1000 I added a few more carbs.  I try to walk every day...but no strenuous work-outs.  I lod my food on the daily plate and set my calorie goal as 1000...I try to at least get there and a bit more.  It also figues out your protein intake..I aim for 80gms a day

I think if you add in a good quality protein bar or shake you'd be up to 1000 and lose more easily

soon2Bfine
on 6/23/10 12:32 am

My weight loss always stalls if my calories drop under 1000/day.   So sorry to hear about the allergy -- that doesn't sound too pleasant at all.

"Without change, there'd be no butterflies."

Starting Weight:   308      Surgery Day:  295      Current Weight:  248
NY2ATL *
on 6/23/10 12:39 am
I've stayed between 750-900 calories since being banded..My Dr. (and myself) don't buy the "starvation mode" theory..if starvation mode was real...RNY patients wouldn't lose any weight because they absorb significantly fewer of their calories than we do..the fact is they absorb less calories, and they lose weight faster than we do.
Some people (including Dr.s and nutritionists) believe in the stavation mode thing.. but just as many do not.
I continue to lose on less than 900 calories a day because of my ratio of protein to carbs..(high protein- low carb)
I know for a fact that when I was on no/low fat - high carb diets I never lost any significant weight and actually gained!
You're gonna get differing opinions on calories, but I know there are quite a few experienced banders that have kept their calories around 800 a day and have lost a lot of weight and kept it off.

Good luck on your journey!

For Low Carb Recipes:
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LCRECIPES/discussion/  

AlittleFaith
on 6/23/10 11:30 am - Pasadena, CA
The starvation "myth" is indeed that. However, when you reduce calores you slow your body's metabolic rate which is why when you don't eat enough (regular carb, low carb, high carb, whatever) your weight loss can slow to a crawl. It's simple biology. Of course there are things that offset this, like exercise. Regardless of carb sensitivity, which is also a proven scientific fact for some people, calories are calories and if you're not getting enough your body simply slows down, sometimes even to a crawl. That part isn't a myth, unfortunately.

Am I a doctor? Nope. But this was a very important part of my undergraduate degree.
Information stage: 281 pounds
One week pre-op: 268
Two weeks post-op: 253
Current: 218 (I only weigh when I go to the doctor!)
Goal: somewhere in the "normal" range of 139 to 174. We'll see when I get there!
First fill: 2.5 ccs (5/26/10); Second fill: 1 cc (6/28/10); Third fill: 1cc (8/4/10); 4th fill: .5ccs ; slight unfill: .25ccs (11/3/10) = (4.75ccs total)
"I only live for today, but I'm one day behind..."
NY2ATL *
on 6/23/10 12:55 pm
What has worked for me is changing up my calories from time to time..it seems to have kept me from plateauing..I always stay under 900 however, and my Dr. advised not to go over 1000 if I want to continue to lose weight.
He says 1200-1500 calories are weight maintenance calorie levels for me.
This seems to have worked so far, I've lost 80 pounds in 8 months and I only have 14 pounds to go to make goal...I'm very happy with my weight loss since surgery.

For Low Carb Recipes:
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LCRECIPES/discussion/  

jenjengrins
on 6/23/10 12:53 am - Olathe, KS
I would recommend changing things up.  Your body gets used to 800 calories.  Eat a few more one day vs the next and you might get your metabolism charged.

7.8 cc in a 10 cc band, Started at 378 lbs
Goodbye 300 forever and ever! 07/18/2009

Tummy Tuck August 13, 2010

Hermosa L
on 6/23/10 1:34 am

I agree with the poster above I try to mix it up.. some days its 1000 - 1200 (usually not working out days) and 1200 - 1400 days that I do work out...

Everyone is different so something its just about finding your balance...

Maybe add one additional veggie or fruit to the mix.. or sometimes I drink a EAS shake for 100 calories... carb control EAS Shake... and added protein it's like 12 grams.

Good Luck.

Lisa O.
on 6/23/10 2:57 am - Snoqualmie, WA
It's really too soon to be at a plateau.  Weight doesn't always come off consistently but often in chunks.  You could be retaining water due to TOM or too much sodium.  I ate 800 calories a day for 9 months and lost 104 lbs.  I use grams not % to track my food quality.  60-80 g of lean protein, less than 50 g of carbs, (complex carbs only).  I never tracked fat, but ate a low fat diet anyway becuase of my protein and carb choices were healthy and cooked w/o fat.

Watch sodium if you are eating processed foods like canned soups or frozen meals.  Try to keep your daily sodium under 2000 mgs.

Don't stress.  800 calories worked for me and is still what my doc prescribes.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

gaylancsu
on 6/23/10 3:30 am - Clayton, NC
I'm another person that has to keep my body surprised.  if I stick to anything consistently I just stall out.  Some days I'm at 800... somedays 1500... avg out about 1000-1200. 

Lap-Band Surgery 10/8/2009  (all weight loss Post-Op)     

Most Active