Passport question

msheavyhearted
on 12/21/11 7:53 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
So, here's the connundrum:

I need a new passport. Although my surgery hasn't been scheduled yet, it is likely to be in February. I don't have plans to travel out of the country until summer.

Would it be best to renew my passport now with my "before" pics (just in case my travel plans change) or wait until closer to my travel date? Has anyone ever had difficulties with travelling with a passport after losing lots of weight? Will passport Canada allow you to renew your passport early if you have drastically changed physically? Anyone ever have issues with looking so different from one passport to another?

Thanks.

Thea
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/11 8:15 pm
I just renewed my passport and so I had been traveling with my picture of being 250 pounds when I'm 150 pounds. There were no problems with the old picture. When I got my new passport the woman at the passport office commented on my weight loss, but didn't say anything about it's a good thing to have it renewed.
Rules for passport renewal is it has to be within a year of it expiring.
I'd wait until just before you need it renewed, if you go directly to a passport office you can get in within a week usually, though they told me two weeks, I got it in one.
(deactivated member)
on 12/21/11 8:33 pm, edited 12/21/11 8:37 pm - Guelph, Canada
i have heard some one say they look mainly at the eyes.. they dont change.. everything else is subject to change... it has also been suggested to have a letter from the doc saying you had WLS incase there is ever a question

but its funny you ask this.. my kids passports were done in 2009 we travelled in 2010 to cuba there was no issues..

we went to the states a few weeks ago and the border patrol stopped my son and asked him to step out of the truck because he looks so different then his passport... he was 12 when we got them and he is now 14 a lot can happen to kids in 2 years... he suggested we get it updated... that was going into the states not coming home.

I dont know if he was joking but when i look at my kids passports they look so small and now my daughter looks like a young lady not the baby in her pic.. she is now 9 and the pic was taken when she was 7
HRBypass
on 12/21/11 8:48 pm
I just went through this issue myself. I've lost almost 190 pounds since surgery in September 2010, and my passport picture now looks nothing like me. I spoke to a Passport Canada agent about this, to see what they recommended, as my passport did not expire until 2013 but I was going to be travelling this January. They said it would be in my best interest to renew with a new, current picture, just to avoid any issues, so that's what I did. I was just instructed to include a letter with my renewal application and pictures, explaining that I'd had weight loss surgery and thus was in this sitatuation. They renewed it early with no problems. If you have no intention of travelling pre-op, I would definitely suggest waiting until after surgery to renew it. Worst case scenario if you end up needing to travel before surgery, you can get a rushed/express renewal. Hope this helped!
Amanda     I 1.5 Years Out     180+lbs Lost     Goal Reached +!  I
Karen M #2
on 12/21/11 9:47 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
Was this letter you included with your application from you or your doctor/surgeon?

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

HRBypass
on 12/22/11 1:23 am
Not at all. It was just a handwritten letter from me explaining that I had the surgery (including the date of surgery, location, and surgeon), how much weight I've lost since the date, and that it was recommended by a Passport Canade agent that I do this. I included my surgeon's name and number incase they wanted to call and verify that it was in fact true. They never called him and I had no problems. (:
Amanda     I 1.5 Years Out     180+lbs Lost     Goal Reached +!  I
msheavyhearted
on 12/21/11 9:02 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Thanks for all the help, ladies.

I shall wait a few months to renew and perhaps renew again in a year or so if I change drastically. :-)

Thea
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Monica M.
on 12/21/11 9:29 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
I'm sure your gorgeous smile won't change that much! (although you're not supposed to smile in your photo...)

msheavyhearted
on 12/21/11 9:56 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
You are too sweet!

Monica M.
on 12/21/11 10:06 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
its true! gorgeous smile that goes right into your eyes!!! Imagine how much more you'll be smiling after!

Most Active
Recent Topics