Finally have my appt with the surgeon!(Long)

northernlight
on 1/14/12 1:16 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Well, I've been trying to get my surgeon's appt since Late Oct - early Nov after hearing nothing from TWH after my file was sent. I left countless messages for Sharon @ TWH & no response. I finally had to go to a supervisor who advised my file had been "misplaced"! Mind you, no explanation as to why none of my calls were returned! Once my file was finally located, it was given to a doctor to review & he has concerns about whether I can have the surgery due to my untreated sleep apnea. I contacted my sleep doctor who sent another letter to TWH advising that I was in the 5% of people who were unable to be fitted with a mask (mine all had major air leaks at the eye & mouth areas - I require a full-face mask) & that he recommends that I have WLS in hopes that my apnea will be eliminated or that losing weight in my face may make it possible to find a mask that will fit the new contours of my face shape. I even checked online to see if there were any new designs in CPAP masks since my last experience, but the ones they have are ones that I have already tried without success. I received a call yesterday to say that they have decided to move me forward to a meeting with one of the surgeons to discuss it in more detail. I finally have an appointment to meet with Dr Jackson at TWH on Feb 17 @ 10:30 am. I will have to do all that I can to present valid reasons as to why I feel that I should be allowed to proceed with surgery & hope that he's willing to listen to my reasons & not just say no automatically.

Now, don't get me wrong - I totally understand where their concerns are coming from - they mentioned being worried about my increased heart rhythms & low oxygen levels when I'm asleep. But, I hope to convince Dr Jackson that, by allowing me to have this surgery, it may have a positive effect on my apnea. I mean, knowing my situation, maybe they could just monitor me after surgery to ensure that my oxygen levels, etc remain where they should be?  Maybe Dr Jackson will agree to do a different procedure - one that doesn't have me sedated for as long as I would be with the RNY. All I know is that I will be devastated if I'm denied my surgery. If that does happen, then I will have to explore what my alternatives are. Maybe I can go on my own OptiFast diet for 3 weeks (I was given a lot of Opti by by daughter's neighbour who had WLS in July & didn't use his Optifast), and then switch over to something like Boost to help get some of the weight off.

Anyway, just wanted to share where I'm at these days with my quest for my surgery. I really hesitated about posting anything because of the fact that I know that some people will likely have some very negative comments to make but then I thought of the many terrific people who have sent me PMs wanting to know what's going on & why I haven't had my surgery yet & it's for them that I decided to post this, so they know what's going on with me. I realize that some of you may feel a need to criticize me with harsh words for wanting to proceed after knowing the doctors have concerns, but please understand that I feel that this is my one real chance for a normal life. Without this surgery, I truly feel that I will die from one of my many co-morbidities, which are becoming worse as time passes. I totally "get" where the doctors are coming from, but I have to do all that I can to advocate for my surgery. Thanks for listening.

Deb

lexxiblue
on 1/14/12 1:27 am
RNY on 01/11/12
WOOHOOO TO YOU!!! 
WAY TO GO DEB!!!!!  

it won't be long now!  i don't know what all the fuss is about bringing the cpap machine to the hospital.. mine sat there in the case for 2 days!! unbelievable!! and me not being too overly fond of the thing didn't say a word... you and i are of the same mindset... thinking of being denied... but hey g/f.... had it done wednesday.... a tad sore still and still tired BUT... with time this too will pass!! good luck to you and glad things are moving forward for you!!!
northernlight
on 1/14/12 2:22 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Ah, thanks for those sweet words of support, my friend!  Look at you - you must be so happy to finally have had your surgery! Now your new life can begin!

Deb

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/14/12 1:36 am - Windsor, Canada
Good luck Deb!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

northernlight
on 1/14/12 2:22 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks for your well wishes, Dawn!

Deb

birdiegirl
on 1/14/12 1:40 am

Good Luck Deb.....I dont understand why anyone would be negative? Good for you for pursuing this and being prepared to state your case....

northernlight
on 1/14/12 2:25 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12

Thanks Barb for your support & understanding. I just felt that some people would be critical of me for going against the recommendations of the doc *****viewed my file, although he is not a surgeon at TWH - he is a psychiatrist & sleep doctor. But, I have to do what I have to do.

Deb

pinkjellybean
on 1/14/12 1:48 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
Oh gosh Deb!  This has been such an ordeal for you girl!  I really hope things get sorted out for you.  The bonus is that Dr. Jackson is really nice and kind and not arrogant at all so he will definitely listen and hear you out. 

Good luck lady!

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

northernlight
on 1/14/12 2:27 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks Melissa - I appreciate your positive thoughts! Nice to hear that Dr Jackson is one of the good guys up there & may be willing to listen to me.  Good luck to you, too!

Deb

Dianadcr
on 1/14/12 2:25 am - Canada
Hang strong Deb. You're worth a better quality of life. I know things will start to come your way. Prayers and best wishes!
  Diana

Most Active
Recent Topics