So what if I ain't gettin no protein?

soulfull_ladee
on 7/2/11 5:13 am
So, I am looking at the posts all the good and perhaps not always so good stuff that everyone has been eating and seems like I so dropped the ball as far as getting my amounts of anything, water protein, like back when maybe I went hours without eating anything and then go "Oh, I should be having something ....I noticed a comment that said something like weight loss depends on protein intake, does that mean if I am not getting in my protein it can slow my weight loss?  I don't want to be walking around with a protein shake or bottle of water attached to my hip but I want to do better, not to mention the ADD need help to focus
acbbrown
on 7/2/11 5:22 am - Granada Hills, CA
How far out are you? I don't walk around with a protein shake, but I eat/drink at fairly regularly intervals to make sure I get the protein in.

If you need help, try a high protein shake in the morning so you are ahead of the game. I drink a Premier shake in the morning, and by the time I walk out the door, I have 30 g of protein in.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

soulfull_ladee
on 7/2/11 5:52 am
A Premier shake? is that the brand name? 30 to start is awesome.
soulfull_ladee
on 7/2/11 5:56 am
Mu surgery was 5/27 so just 1 month out, I WANT to do the right thing, some things my body won't let me do, but when I look up and it is the end of the day I had 16oz of protein shake, i egg and 1tablespoon of beans I think I am well behind.....it is alomost like I have to always think about eating....
acbbrown
on 7/2/11 7:26 am - Granada Hills, CA
Make a schedule - for protein, fluids, and vitamins. Just like you have to have kids off to school and be at work on time, make sure you set aside time for your health. Eating/drinking is definitely a chore, but it's something you have to do. My surgeon recommends food at "meal times" and protein shakes for "snacks". Maybe it's something you can try - mid morning/mid afternoon have an 8 oz shake or something and choose high protein shakes to help you. That way if you're not getting enough protein from your food, you're still getting the protein you need.

I find that greek yogurt and cottage cheese go down well, and I can eat a 1/2 cup which has a good amount of protein (and they don't taste bad!) Maybe try those. Also tuna - 2 oz and 16 g protein! (and any other meats you can tolerate)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

SuperRN597
on 7/2/11 5:24 am
The guidelines are to keep you healthy while your body goes through drastic changes.  There are people that will say you will lose slower if you do not eat enough and others will say the opposite.  I would not be focusing on the numbers on the scale as much as I would be the numbers that are important and those are the protein grams and ounces of fluids that you take in.  They are essential to maintain your health.  If you do not take in enough, your body will take it from itself...protein is muscle...not enough protein means muscle break down.  Not a good thing when you think about what the muscles mean for your overall body functioning...your heart is a muscle, and you need the muscles in your legs and arms so that you can walk and feed yourself.  It will take time for these things to really start being problematic, but why put yourself in that position. 

I hope that you are able to tune in and get on track for your health.  Best of luck to you.
 Sharon 
Consult date 1/11/10   Weight 398.5     Surgery date 3/1/10  Weight 374
HW 400+     CW 196.6    Dr. GW <200   My GW 150

loolootoo
on 7/2/11 5:50 am
it's a free country.   you can do what you want.... so what if you're not getting enough protein or fluids.

so what if your hair falls out, your nails become brittle and your muscles weaken.

so what if you're malnourished and prone to illness.  

weightloss is simple.   burn more calories than you take in....and you will lose weight.  every pound  of fat is 3500 extra calories you ate in the past that you didn't need. 

health is not simple and getting skinny does not make you healthy.     being healthy takes work and personal responsibility.

the eating guidelines with the vsg are designed to let you get skinny and get healthy.

it's totally up to you.

MistyM
on 7/2/11 6:03 am - Eufaula, OK
VSG on 06/26/12

No offense, but when I read posts like this, I am so thankful to be in a program where my surgeon and nutritionist tell me everything I need to do, as far as diet goes, pre and post op. Did your surgeon not give you any guidelines??? You should really contact someone where you had your surgery. Some programs have different guidelines, I guess,but I would definitely be calling and asking someone for guidance on this. I am pre-op but, whatI have been told is that protein is imperative for you to be successful and healthy following VSG... Good luck !

Month 1= 19#     Month 2=11#    Month3=8#  Month 4 =10#

soulfull_ladee
on 7/2/11 6:39 am
No offense taken,   I don't want to make the staff look bad I ...am supposed to have 60grams of protein a day, .....64oz of water, or I get dehydrated no eating 30minutes b4 or after or I will wash my food away no carbonated beverages it will make me feel bloated or streach my stomache chew to apple sauce or things may feel "stuck" don't graze or I will eat more than I realize and it will slow my loss alchohol is just empty calories which can also cause hunger....as I am typing this I guess I know quite a bit but I guess I did not focus on the "get your 60grams of protein or else...." it seems I know more of the don't consequences than the do ones....
onehappygirl
on 7/2/11 6:09 am
There is a funny fact about protein--you must eat daily what you need that day.  In other words, your body does not store it up like it does fat.  If your body does not get what it needs that day, it starts consuming your muscle stores.  There was a gal on here several  months ago that told how she ignored the protein requirements and was now bedbound and had lost the use of her legs.  I kid you not---she was young too.  That scared the rest of us pretty bad.  Eat your protein!  It makes us feel good, makes us feel strong, and we get that wonderful blush-glow of good health when we eat it.  The other gals are right--getting healthy is a full-time job.  After years of unhealthy living, each of us should now be obsessed with maximizing our new sleeve and our new glowing bodies.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 89 views