I KNOW I'm not supposed to compare my weightloss to others buuuut....

Sunny702
on 8/31/11 5:48 am - Las Vegas, NV
I had surgery 8/17 and the scale jumps between 9-11 lbs lost NEVER more. As I read, read and read others posts I see stats that look a hell of a lot better than mine in the same amount of time. People are really LOSING some weight and I don't understand why I'm not. It's super discouraging at this point especially when I'm hungry all the time. I can totally relate to the "will this surgery work for me fear".

I will admit that I haven't been able to keep my protein shake down so I stopped trying to drink them. I was allowed to drink protein Day 10 from surgery date. I get really nauseated on my milk based Whey protein and end up throwing it up. The ISOPUKE is disgusting and I can barely take a few sips. According to my diet plan I'm on liquids until Day 22 which is next week. At that point I hope to get in my protein from foods. I'm also going to GNC or the Vitamin Store to try to find some unflavored protein. I've been really trying to get enough water down, I'd say I'm probably drinking 40oz of water and maybe 20 oz of Cranberry or Ruby Red Grapefruit juce. I made the Ricotta back last night and did take a few small bites (had no stomach issues) of that because I"m HUNGRY 99.9% of the time. I also blended a bowl of Progresso soup and had 1/2 cup servings for about a day last week (only did this for one day though). Other than that ... all I have is water and juice.

Maybe my body is in starvation mode and holding on to all the weight? I don't know what to do. I'm very discouraged at this point and really trying to keep hope alive. I feel like ... damn I did all this and I'm HUNGRY plus STILL not losing weight. The story of my life. :( When exactly is the "best losing period" that everyone speaks of? I'm scared that I'm already off to a slow start.

Just needed to vent ... break out the violins ...
Jan G.
on 8/31/11 5:59 am - WI
I struggled for the first 2 weeks until I felt my tummy opening up a bit more. (episodes of vomiting..swollen tummy).

But I use EAS from Walmart..cheap..does not taste bad. I mix it with Lactose free skim milk. I don't like the chocolate as much so I miss a little with the vanilla.

Hope you improve soon.. it will make a difference in wt loss

Hugs my OH friend, Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

acbbrown
on 8/31/11 6:08 am - Granada Hills, CA

I know it's hard and you are struggling, but you need to keep searching for protein supplements you can drink. Transitioning to solids will not solve your problems. I am almost 3 mo out and I still would not be able to get all my protein (even the bare minimum in) without protein liquid supplements.

If you really think it's the whey - try soy or egg protein sources. They make powders i believe. Try even drinking milk instead of the juice - juice isnt really a healthy alternatve with the sugar content. Try greek yogurt - cottage cheese, anything to get some protein in. It might not kill you now to have low protein intake, but in the long term can do some damage.

Are you on a PPI? If not, start ASAP. My hunger is caused by my acid in my stomach.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jasonm11
on 8/31/11 6:18 am
Ditto what they said....it is as near to imnpossible to get your protein from food sources for months....and in those months you could develop major issues....so you must find something you can stomach...one thing i did was drink a good bit of DECAF coffee(was served it in the hospital by the nurses so to say it was allowed is an understatement) and I add about 2 ounces of skim milk to each glass....I drink probably 6 glasses a day and knock out a good bit of my water needs and as much as 12 grams of protein from that. Find ways to get protein. You must have it to heal properly and survive.

For weight loss, stop worrying about it. If you FOLLOW YOUR PLAN(assuming your plan is a valid one) you will lose weight. Going off plan by dropping protein supplements will cause many problems.

Please consider what we're telling you....it is very important to your sucess and your health....

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Sunny702
on 8/31/11 6:20 am - Las Vegas, NV
What is this PPI that everyone speaks of? I will look into it.

I'm really looking forward to losing this weight ... by any means necessary.
Jasonm11
on 8/31/11 6:25 am
Proton Pump Inhibitor.....

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are a group of drugs whose main action is a pronounced and long-lasting reduction of gastric acid production. They are the most potent inhibitors of acid secretion available today. The group followed and has largely superseded another group of pharmaceuticals with similar effects, but different mode-of-action, called H2-receptor antagonists. These drugs are among the most widely-selling drugs in the world and are generally considered effective.[1] The vast majority of these drugs are benzimidazole derivatives; however, promising new research indicates that imidazopyridine derivatives may be a more effective means of treatment.[2] High dose or long-term use of PPIs carry a possible increased risk of bone fractures.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-pump_inhibitor

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 6:21 am - VA
Dont feel bad because i had my surgery on 8/8 and i am only down 15lbs!  But my dr has assured me that Im doing great and when my body figures out whats going on, the pounds will fall off! hang in there we can do it. I no alot of people dont like the protein shots but they work for me and my protein levels are great. (got them checked yesterday) new whey protein shots. 42g per shot. i mix with crystal light. hope this helps and we will be losing before you can say "I LOVE MY SLEEVE!"
teetee126
on 8/31/11 8:57 am
where do you get the wehy protein shots?
Sunny702
on 8/31/11 6:25 am - Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify I am not opposed to getting in protein and I'm not just "not doing it" just because. Every time I try to drink my Chocolate/Protein shake with skim milk (I used to LOVE it preop) its super sweet and I immediately feel sick. I then throw up. I'm going to GNC or Vitamin Shop to find something I can stomach.
Jasonm11
on 8/31/11 6:26 am
I know what you mean....not trying to be harsh and I hope I didn't come off that way...its just a slippery slope that can be dangerous for you  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views