Pigging Out

pedrn34
on 9/24/11 5:08 am - Glen Burnie, MD
I have not had the VSG process yet. I'm in the beginning stages of the classes and all the things you need to do for the surgery. Anyway, I work in a level one trauma center. Very stressful. Yesterday was a very very very stressful day and I was upset at one of my coworkers. As I was driving home from work, I felt so beat and frustrated, I wanted to pig out. Then I started to think that when I have the surgery, I will not be able to pig out. I got nervous. How am I going to cope with my frustrations now. I love pigging out, although I feel guilty afterward. What are some of your ways to get rid of your frustrations, non food related. Help!
PedRN34

Christine928
on 9/24/11 5:16 am
I love to eat. The taste, smell and even the look of it made me happy.. I too was a stress eater. You will find that after the surgery you can't do this. It will not be beneficial to your weight loss goals or you. My method to beat the stress is come home straight from work change my clothes and hit the treadmill. Run as fast as I can for as long as my legs will hold me for. After that take it out on some Zumba. There is nothing like 40 minutes of high energy dance to get your mind off of what ever was bothering you.

If you can't do that find a buddy, go to the park and again run as fast as you can. What helps me when I run is my music. Its like a drug to me and calms me down no matter what. Start now before your surgery, get your mind prepared.

MyOwnSunshine
on 9/24/11 5:19 am
Exercise helps, talking to others helps, building pleasant and consistent routines into your day helps but sometimes just learning to "be" with your feelings, good or bad, is the best thing.  When we "numb" ourselves with food (or other substances) you only postpone feeling your feelings.  In order to move past them, you need to feel them and process them and then move on.

Pigging out doesn't change the fact that you had a bad day.  It just adds some calories and pounds to an already bad day, which doesn't make your life better, it makes it worse.

" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
KIMMIKAK1119
on 9/24/11 5:20 am
Hi.  I would suggest medittion....it does wonders for me in all aspects of my life.  And don't worry about after the surgery....I have yet to meet anyone that really cares about food after surgery.  You just eat to survive, the way it is supposed to be, instead of surviving to eat.
Hang in there and try doing things you love to do to ward off the frustrations.
  KIMMIKAK                                                 
kimbethin
on 9/24/11 5:21 am - CA
Just like addicts of any kind, we need to find a new way to cope.  Really loud music and singing all the way home or your workout may need to replace pigging out.  You'll find your way, and anything else you do will feel better than pigging out.  good luck and I love your avatar pic.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
soon2b20
on 9/24/11 5:55 am - NJ
I too am / was a stress eater.  I have not yet had my VSG also but hope to soon.  Right now working on losing pre-surgery weight and also see a therapist which for me is working wonderfully.  I am also stressed at work and would always turn to food for relief which I am fast learning is not the answer.

For new release I now curse like a trucker.  Yup that's right on the ride home I let it out by cursing at everything and everybody.    I also do the loud music thing and sing at the top of my lungs.  If still stressed when I come home and rock it out with my daughter.  Dancing and singing around the living room until we are both exhausted. 
Mrsdean4
on 9/24/11 6:13 am - VA
Hi PedRN, I'm a nurse too, and I work in a level 2 trauma center.  I'm just the trauma registrar, though.  I can only imagine your stress level!!  

I too am in the process of getting approval for VSG and I have thought of these same issues.  I often use food to celebrate successes AND failures.  I've been in therapy for awhile and that has helped me a great deal.  I feel strongly that everyone could benefit from good talk therapy.  

Good luck to you!

Kacey
Mutha24Boyz
on 9/24/11 6:51 am - NY
I am a RN in a busy Level III Nicu and have many many stressful nights. Lately I've been working out after work. It sounds crazy but a swim and sauna after working a 12 hour night helps me relax and sleep when I get home. Other ways to treat yourself without food are scheduling a massage, does your hospital have a massage therapy dept? Ours offers discounted rates for employees. Take a walk outside, breathe deeply, remember why you want to lose weight and pigging out won't help anything, it will just make you feel guilty and regretful after its over. Also, is there anyone at work you can just "vent" to periodically. I will friend you because I know your struggle so we can keep in touch. Good Luck with everything!

I am 29 years old. 5' tall HW 247 SW 241 Pre-Op 226 Tentative Goal 130
www.theinkdiva.blogspot.com
roundater
on 9/24/11 7:43 am - Lincoln, NE
I have found that starting my day with a good physical workout not only helps with the weight loss it helps clear my head and better deal with any stresses during the day. Definitely deters pigging out and cuts my appetitie significantly. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

fayhog2001
on 9/24/11 10:53 am - TX
VSG on 03/21/12 with
Thanks for posting this!  I am in the research/get my head right phase of thinking about surgery.  I already have been asking myself "as much as I eat now, will i just stretch my stomach again and it be pointless?"  However, it helps being on this site and reading how others have been successful.  Also good to know my thoughts aren't solo...lol
Most Active