2 months out. protein bars?

clariposita
on 4/5/12 12:44 pm - NY
hi
are protein bars a good idea?

acbbrown
on 4/5/12 12:46 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Not at 2 months out. Too high in calories, and carbs, and not enough protein. I wouldnt try adding them to your diet for quite a while - I wish I would have never started because now it's my favorite snack!! (and even on the low end, 180-200 cal and 20 g of protein isn't the greatest snack)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Cindy22706
on 4/6/12 1:40 am, edited 4/6/12 1:41 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
Ummm, ok so I have a question then. I eat an Atkins everyday. It has 200 cals, 18 carbs (not counting net), 17 protein. My NUT said not to worry about calories or carbs, that we dont count those, just make healthy choices... do you think this is why my weight loss (in my opinion) has slowed? What could I eat instead that is high in protein? Oh and I am 2 months out as well.

Kevin H.
on 4/5/12 1:19 pm, edited 4/5/12 1:19 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I'm 2 months out and have them when I'm on the go and need something quick.  My NUT cleared us to have them same time as regular diet, 4 weeks post op.  To me it seems to be a much healthier choice then a lot of things I could grab to eat in a hurry.  /shrug

Some protein bars are not good though.  Full of carbs and calories.  It depends on which one your talking about.

Quest bars are low fat / low carb and I've heard Atkins bars are good too, though I've not looked at the nutrition label myself.

SaraH128
on 4/5/12 1:47 pm - NC
VSG on 03/01/12
I'm 5 weeks out and eat Atkins bars from time to time. It takes me two sittings to eat the whole thing so I don't tend to feel bad about eating the carbs. They fill me up and are good for on the go! :)

SassyItalian
on 4/5/12 2:09 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
there are better ideas. mini babybels in the wax, beef jerkey to name a few..

its hard on the go..but as mentioned they have high carbs and alot of sugar for the most part.

i would probably wait until you are further out on your journey to add in things like that.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

kam0520
on 4/5/12 2:59 pm - AL
We were told we could to 1/2 in the morning for a snack and 1/2 in the evening for a snack.  We were told to never use them as a meal replacement.  Hubby and I have been looking for some to try, but they're all carb filled.  The only thing we have come across that isn't just horrible carb/calorie wise are they South Beach diet 100 calorie "whipped" snack bars.  They still have more carbs than I really want, but I can budget for them for a 'treat'.  The PB one is fabulous!
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Rosemary1031
on 4/6/12 12:29 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12
They are not the worst idea but good luck finding one that is low cal, low carb, high protein. You usually  have to sacrifice one of those with what they sell over the counter. If you care enough, look at my older posts for a recipe to a very good protein bar. The only way to know what's going in them and make them low cal is to make them yourself pretty much. The ones I make are 54 cals and 8 grams of protein, very low carb.

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/12 12:31 am - Mexico
On April 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM Pacific Time, clariposita wrote:
hi
are protein bars a good idea?

They stalled my WL every single time.  I found out a couple of years ago that at least with Atkins, a net carb is not a net carb.  They lie.

Protein bars also have a chemical that makes the texture better, I still can't remember the name of it but that is apparently what was making my WL come to a big 'ol thud.

INgirl
on 4/6/12 1:47 am
Agreeing with BoldNB.. I count all carbs, especially net carbs.. just because they cause a slower insulin response, doesn't make them any less of a carb :)

To me: protein bars=candybar

I use it the same way. As a very occasional rare treat when I have a chocolate desire. I use the Oh Yeah protein wafer bars.. and eat 1 wafer. That's 105cals/4carb/7protein. I get my taste, and the other half goes away for another time. I do not eat these daily or even weekly. Some may get a taste and have a hard time walking away, in that case- avoid them period. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 114 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 338 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 387 views