The Maharani has arrived! (a.k.a. sleeved)

Somayeh
on 5/10/12 4:43 am - Fountian Valley, CA
VSG on 05/09/12
 Hey gang,

So I was successfully sleeved yesterday. I am in a B&B near the hospital now getting settled in. The doc will be making a house call tomorrow to check in on me. I've been keeping a video log that I will compile into a thread of my impressions & experiences later in the week for other newbies/pre-ops.

It was pretty smooth sailing for me. About 8 hours after the surgery, they switched me off prescription pain killers over to liquid tylenol IV. The pain was pretty manageable that way. At the moment, I haven't taken anything for pain for the last 8+ hours. I feel fine. My incision sites sometimes poke me to remind me that they're still here, and I walk like my grandmother, but I'm doing pretty well. 

Water has been difficult to get down. It feels funny and gurgle-y going down (duh! =D What else did I expect?). It's much easier to get down today than it was yesterday though. My doc has already cleared me for mushy foods (at 2 days post-op...he doesn't do the liquid phase at all), but I haven't tried anything yet. Proteinpowder + water makes the Maharani (my sleeve's name) growl. She doesn't seem to like it just yet. Go figure =D. I will try yogurt tomorrow, as it is what the doc recommended I try as my first forray into "food."

I experience a hunger-like sensation,  but I think it is most likely acid. Sucking on a chewable antacid makes it sort of go away for a while. The most uncomfortable part is the gas, really. I feel like I need to burp constantly, and only experience hiccups instead, which can be a bit jarring. Still, nothing severe. Also, so far, I haven't experienced any issues with farting. I read a few posts of people saying not to trust farts early out - I'm not sure how early out they meant, but so far, so good.

I hope this helps some of my about-to-be-surgically-altered pre-ops out there! I will try to post a more comprehensive (and well-thought-out) description next week.

Happy sleevin!
Somayeh
Defining success by behaviors, feelings and NSVs!        
Phatchick
on 5/10/12 5:01 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
Hi Someyeh,

I am so happy the process has been good for you thus far. You sound like you are doing great. You are going to rock that sleeve. Welcome to the losers bench! Best, Sharon

Somayeh
on 5/10/12 2:46 pm - Fountian Valley, CA
VSG on 05/09/12
 Thanks Sharon!

Also, the picture of your cat in your av makes me smile everytime I see it. Every time. She (he?) is so cute, all grumpy and regal and cat-like in her (his?) fluffy enormity. 

=D
Defining success by behaviors, feelings and NSVs!        
Barbara W.
on 5/10/12 6:21 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
I am glad you are doing so well.  Can't wait until I can join you on the
losers bench.  Rest, walk and sip, sip, sip and get well.  Thank you
for filling us pre op's in on your experience.  I appreciate the info.

INgirl
on 5/10/12 8:27 am
Glad to hear you are doing well! Take it as slow as your stomach demands, she knows best right now!
Nevada-Fluffy
on 5/10/12 9:42 am - Henderson, NV
Congrats to you and glad you are doing well! Listen to the Maharni and treat her well! She will reward you.

Cortnee Z.
on 5/10/12 10:28 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
This is SO wonderful to hear! I am so glad you are doing so well!! Take care and keep walking and drinking!!
Cortnee 

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn" Harriet Beecher Stowe

Blog: 
http://mysleeveandme.blogspot.com     MFP: CortneeZ
(deactivated member)
on 5/10/12 8:55 pm
VSG on 10/17/12
Yippee! I'm so glad you're well. Some of us on OH were thinking about you yesterday!
I really appreciate your detailed descriptions of what you're going through. So helpful!
Happy sleevin indeed!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 259 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views