Sooo frustrated, 8 days Post-op... HELP!!!!

tiamarie75
on 5/23/12 2:17 pm - NV
I don't know how I am going to get all my protein in... It was drilled into my head that before I can go to solid foods (which trust me I know isn't for a while) but before I get  there I need to be able to get in my 90g a day... right now some days I get 50g at best.... I'm worried that I'm never going to be able to get enough. The protein I have is completely unflavored, and yet I can't seem to stomach putting it into everything.  It changes the consistency and flavor of everything, and if I can't stomach it, then it comes back up. So frustrating!!! I'm doing really well with my liquids though.

Any protein ideas? How did everyone else do it???  Did anyone else have these issues??

Any advice would do!!!

BeatrizS1974
on 5/23/12 2:28 pm
Have you tried the Unjury Protien shakes?  They are delicious.  They also have a chicken broth.  I haven't tried it so i can't tell you how it tastes.  Good luck!
Amibennett
on 5/23/12 2:39 pm - Washougal, WA
VSG on 06/28/12
I am curious too!

elaine-is-ready
on 5/23/12 2:45 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
  Hydration was more important to me than all my protein for the first few weeks.  Getting in all my protein regularly took 3-4 weeks for me. If you are getting 50 grams in, you are doing a lot better than I did at 8 days. (I'm currently a bit over 2 months out)
Have you tried the flavored proteins?  Unjury chicken soup is the only other non-sweet I know of, but there are lots of sweet protein drinks.  My favorite is Nectar Chocolate Truffle.  I add to water, and it still tastes good.  Strawberry flavored Chike!, and some type of chocolate Unjury are also good.
What are you adding your protein to?  From personal experience, you need to add unflavored protein to something with a strong flavor of its own, like a good cream soup, if you are at that stage. 
Can you eat Greek yogurt yet?  Or add it to a protein shake for additional protein (one with a flavor you like.)

Have you been to mybariatricpantry.com?  They have several different choices for shakes as well as other foods like protein gelatin (which I'm not getting again, although it wasn't all THAT bad.)

It gets easier.  I actually surprised myself a few days ago that I got 111g of protein in without really trying, but I'm on solids, eating mostly dense protein.

Some people add vanilla or other flavored protein powder to their coffee. . . browse through the forum a while, there are lots of choices and reciepes out there.

Good luck finding something you can tolerate soon.

HW= 305        pre-op wt loss= 35 lbs
VSG date: 3/19/12
jacreasy
on 5/23/12 9:21 pm
VSG on 04/23/12
 I have Unjury Unflavored as well and it tastes awful... Ive tried a couple others they have and didn't like those either, maybe its just me and my taste buds lol lots of people say they are good.  My Doc said get in 50-60 grams of protein who told you 90 that seems a little high if your just starting out.  It was hard for me at first and still is I'm a little over 4 weeks post-op.  They say it gets easier each week so hang in there!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

JenSchroed
on 5/23/12 10:10 pm
90 gram of protein is alot . . .my surgeon requires 60-70 grams a day . . . .
On the journey to something new . . .     

dgalan
on 5/23/12 11:50 pm - henderson , NV
protein shots in my water new whey) helped me get protein in in the begining,
sutherngrl94
on 5/24/12 12:24 am - Raleigh, NC
Tia,

You are doing much better than I did with protein at 8 days out!  I think you're doing great if you are averaging 50 grams a day.  I focused on hydration and am just now getting all of my protein in at 1 month.  Don't worry, you'll get there.  You're only 8 days out!  I'd focus on hydration more than protein right now but definitely keep trying on the protein!!

Great job!!!

Cortnee Z.
on 5/24/12 12:30 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
My protein shakes are about 34 grams of protein alone. I also eat an egg for breakfast, 8 grams, and 2 oz. of chicken breasts at lunch, 11 grams. Then if I do a dense protein for dinner, it ups it even more. You may need to add a protein shake to your day. I didn't like the powder I bought so I just dr. it up. But it packs a lot of punch. I only use 1 cup of almond milk to go along with it, so that's a lot of protein for a small amount of liquid. 

Also, cottage cheese and greek yogurt are good high protein meals. That will add 8-15 grams there too. 

Hope that helps!!
Cortnee 

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn" Harriet Beecher Stowe

Blog: 
http://mysleeveandme.blogspot.com     MFP: CortneeZ
ERnurseMN
on 5/24/12 1:09 am - MN
I am 8 days out and I am not getting nearly enough protein in either. I ordered Unjury before my surgery and have found it is the only powder I can tolerate. I bought the chicken soup flavor, vanilla and chocolate splendor. I also can put 1 Tbsp of PB2 in the shake and that tastes pretty good. I also went to theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and looked her shake recipes and am trying those. I just went to full liquids on Tuesday. Adding 1 Tbsp of SF pudding is good too.

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views