What to pack?

mmplumme
on 6/4/12 1:15 am - TX
VSG on 06/11/12
Getting my bag ready for surgery on Monday. Anything I need to be sure to pack. Anything you wish someone had told you to bring?

Christine_TX
on 6/4/12 1:28 am - TX
VSG on 05/23/12
I over packed for sure, 95% of the things I needed the hospital provided for me. The only things I used where my chapstick (The dry mouth after surgery is NO JOKE, and the chapstick helped a lot!) and my cell phone and charger, cpap machine and a blanket and pillow (that was more for comfort) and everything else in my bag just stayed in the bag. I also had a change of clother for the ride home, but while in the hospital I stayed in the gowns.
Good Luck with your surgery.
♥ Christine
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
PoohHag
on 6/4/12 2:17 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 I too am having surgery on Monday.  I'm both excited and terrified!

I saw a thread on here once about this and jotted down a few things:

slippers/robe for the walking the halls part
underwear
toothbrush/paste to get nasty tastes out of your mouth
feminine hygiene products (we're likely to start our periods)
chapstick
your own pillow
your glasses if you normally wear contacts
cell phone/charger

I bring my own meds and vitamins.  I know that when I had my baby 9 years ago it was just easier to take my own rather than to try to get them through the pharmacy.  Probably won't be able to take them, but good to have just in case.

Knit1
on 6/4/12 2:31 am - WA
Congrats to both of you! I had surg on 5/10. Pooh, you won't be able to take your meds & vitamins, you'll be on clear liquids at that point. Your lists are great. I didn't need my own pillow in the hospital, but it was nice to have a pillow on the ride home to hold over my tummy. A little pressure felt good on the bumpy parts.
Welcome to the world of VSG!
Janet
In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet. Erma Bombeck  

Surgery Date: 5/10/12       Ht: 5'2"       Age: 55
Barbara W.
on 6/4/12 2:41 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
I packed too much.  The only thing I used was my toothbrush and
toothpaste.  I didn't even use the cellphone I took, but some people
are attached to their cellphones like another appendage.  I know
the chapstick is helpful because you are so dry.  I used the hospital
gowns provided.  They even gave me a small pillow to place across
my stomach for the ride home.  The pillow is also helpful when you
cough or sneeze.  The pillow came with an autograph marker for
friends to sign the pillow.  It has the different gastric procedures
printed on one side of the pillow. Good luck to you.

seeingmyselfthere
on 6/4/12 2:45 am
VSG on 03/07/12
hi mmplumme,

i know most of us over packed for our stay, but if you're like me you'd rather be prepared than need something and not have it. if you pack travel sized accessories, you should be able to take anything you think you might need to feel comfy away from home and still fit it all in a carry on bag.  it will really depend on how long you're in the hospital - i had a longer stay than many - 4 days (2 in ICU and 2 in regular room).  Short stays may not require as much - but it will never hurt to be prepared.  below are items i would consider:

i did take pajama's and used them when i was finally moved from ICU to a regular room.  Of course shower shoes, slippers, your favorite moisturizing soap (something about hospitals make my skin super dry and sensative), chapstick, lotion, socks/footies (it also can get pretty cold in the rooms and even more so in the hallways when you're out for your walk), cell phone, charger, towel/washcloth (most hospital supplies are not designed for comfort), if not a blanket/pillow maybe a jacket or sweater that you find comfortable, all your meds - most docs want to see what you've been taking (even OTC stuff), something comfy to wear on the trip home, a list of people you'd like to be contacted once you've come through your surgery and note pad with any last minute questions you may have before you go under.  if you're traveling with a spouse or friend ask them to add information the doctor may give you verbally after surgery (you'll be too loopy to keep track).

hope that helps.

pcannedy
on 6/4/12 5:09 am - Sacramento, CA
 Make sure you have a top or dress that is big - they fill you up with air to do the surgery.

Also, take chap stick, slippers, robe, hand cream, and nose spray.  Cell phone charger if you tske your cell.

Good luck and great that you have made this decision.

Lorelei52462
on 6/4/12 6:01 am - Port Arthur, TX
VSG on 04/24/12
I took a breath spray and some jolly ranchers and they SAVED ME! 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views