Is my sleeve too big? Fear it won't work for me

SandyRi
on 3/12/13 5:19 pm - WA
VSG on 03/04/13
I read all the great stories out here of everyone's weight loss....its amazing! I am 8 days post op.....have had no problems what so ever, no pain, feel great. Is it too good to be true for some people? I am just getting ready to start puree...but i have had no problems with my protein shakes..11 ounces in less than an hour. I thought my sleeve was only supposed to hold 2-4 ounces? Is mine too big?

When does the major weight loss start? I only lost 4 lbs since surgery. I know that there was fluid weight after surgery....but I guess I am afraid that this is my last hope to possibly not be fat the rest of my life......and it wont work. Are there people who this does not work for even though they follow the plan? (Which i am following).

Is this a normal phase of doubt to go through? If so....when did you finally 'believe'????

Surgery date:  03/04/2013

horrible_monster
on 3/12/13 5:23 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

My understanding is that a lot of people don't really feel their restriction till their stomachs have healed more. I think if you're on plan, in touch with your surgeon, and measuring whatever you take in you'll likely be fine. But I'll wait for the real veterans to chime in, since I'm barely further out than you. :) Good luck.

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

frisco
on 3/12/13 5:31 pm

Your freakin out..... a little.... it's normal.....

The "Oh great, I'm gonna be the only one that can't lose weight after WLS", that is just a result of many failed diet attempts that probably all of us has experienced.

Restriction won't happen till you get onto more solid foods...... It's all about the function of the Pyloric Valve.......

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4508494/Frisco-Pyloric -Valve-Basics-101-re-post/ 

I started believing when I could tie my shoes and breath at the same time.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

MuttLover
on 3/12/13 9:16 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Don't fret!  Some people have horrible post-op experiences, and some do not. I had the same experience as you -- no post-op problems at all.

As long as you are eating liquids, purees and other soft stuff, you will not feel your restriction much. 

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

claimmaster
on 3/12/13 9:17 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

The shake is liquid and will move through your sleeve pretty quickly.  Drinking 11 oz. in an hour seems very doable to me.  I'm pre-op, but this makes sense to me.  And I totally understand your fears.  I have them myself.  Like I'm going to be the one it doesn't work for.  It will work.  It's pretty much basic math.  Hang in there.  Get your fluids.  We all lose at different rates.

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

hollirrose
on 3/12/13 9:20 pm
VSG on 04/21/12
This is a normal fear. I thought my sleeve (or me) was broken too... Easy recovery, no problem with liquids from day 1, hunger until I got to "real" food. We are not broken...just lucky. I'm a little over 10 months out and have followed my low carb, low calorie plan 99% of the time. I'm down 192 pounds. From a size 24 to a 4. I didn't do anything special...just followed the "rules" (and logged and tracked every bite on my fitness pal.com). If I can do this...anyone can. You will do great! Seeing is believing! Just keep doing what you are doing, even when you dont want to, and you will be reassuring someone else with these same concerns in no time at all.
RedStar98
on 3/13/13 12:11 am - Johnston, RI
VSG on 10/02/12

I had the same, no issues at all, and drank fluid pretty easily, and still do.  I'm moving along, seemed stuck last week and this week I seem to be dropping, I just have to go with the flow and keep doing what I'm doing.

All normal stuff from what I've learned on OH

fun2bKel
on 3/13/13 12:52 am, edited 3/13/13 12:53 am
VSG on 02/27/13

I can really relate to your fear that your sleeve is too big and that the surgery will not work for you.  I am 2 weeks post-op today, and I have not had any problems since day 1 getting liquids down.  I also have done really well with my puree/mushy food stage (I was able to start that stage at the beginning of my second week.)  I can eat a scrambled egg with ease and haven't really felt much restriction yet.  I have also been disappointed with my 2 pound weight loss during the second week.  I have all kinds of doubts and fears running through my head; however, I have decided to take the approach that I have been tremendously blessed to have had such an easy recovery and time of everything and that I will feel more restriction when I get to solid foods.  As for the weight, I tell myself that it will come and that I just need to do what I know I should do.  It has to work, right?

emelar
on 3/13/13 1:36 am - TX

All it means is that you suffered miminal swelling.  This is a good thing - it means you can take in your fluids and not get dehydrated.  You won't get any real idea of restriction until you're on regular foods.  Liquids and even purees will move right through you. 

But I know how you feel.  I had an easy recovery too and I remember laying in bed convinced that my surgeon had done nothing more than bunch a couple of holes in my abdomen for show.  It'll all change when you hit dense solid food.  And you WILL lose as long as you stay with your plan.

smallboned1
on 3/13/13 12:46 pm - CA

I'm 6 weeks out and have been worrying about the same thing since I got home from the hospital. I have had no issues with any of the eating stages. I am finding that I have restriction when I eat solid foods.

I works!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 317 views