happyteacher’s Posts

happyteacher
on 12/10/11 5:01 am
Topic: RE: Post Surgery How to Eat Question
 Thank you!  They do actually want the appointmet before, but I recieved a voicemail too late on Friday to make an appointment and when I originally made the appointment a ways back it was the first available, which is now a few days after surgery.  Does Special K protein water count as a first couple days back drink, or should that be avoided like protein shakes?
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 4:58 am
 Yikes, good point.  I drink all my shakes with a straw so that would have been natural for me to reach for one...Thank you!
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 4:57 am
 Thank you.  Glad you brought up the dissolving medicine- wasn't sure how that worked.  Can I run a multivitamin through a grinder, the dissolve?
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 4:56 am
 Thank you so much for the information!  I was not aware to stay away from protein shakes at first, so I am very glad i asked.  My surgeon does not realize that I do not have the appointment, and frankly I don't want to tell them.  The surgery is timed so it falls precisely on my school break, so I don't have to miss school.  I am not shy about asking questions in the hospital, but I do want to stock up before thee surgery.  

What is a "clear protein bullet"??  
happyteacher
on 12/9/11 9:27 pm
Topic: RE: Home and sleeved.
 We have the same sugery date- good luck!
happyteacher
on 12/9/11 9:22 pm
Topic: RE: ALL the bad words
 Hang in there!  I have not had surgery yet (soon), but from what I read on here the first two weeks are difficult, but it gets better and is very worth it!  Try posting your questions on this board, others may be able to help!  
happyteacher
on 12/9/11 9:15 pm
 Hello,

I just found out that my surgery is the 19th, yea!  The concern is that my appointment for how to eat post surgery is not until the 23rd, and I know when it was first scheduled that was the first available appointment.  Could somebody let me know if I am on the right track or if I am missing something important?  I just want the first 4 days to be done carefully until I get to my appointment in a worse case scenario.  

Here is what I think I know:

1.  No solid foods- keep it liquid.  I loaded up on protein shakes, but not sure of the gram target for the day.

2.  Small sips.

3.  When I finally do eat, chew to the consistency of applesauce and very small bites. No eating for the first 4 days and until somebody tells me it is ok.

4.  Dehydration is to be taken seriously, get the fluids in.

5.  Eat at least 15 minutes after drinking.  Drink at least 30 minutes after eating.

6.  No coffee (as a tear rolls down my fat cheek)

7.  I figure I can ask in the hospital about taking pills.

If I am unable to move up my appointmet I will only do protein shakes or chicken broth,  with sugar free popsicles if drinking proves to be difficult.  Does all this seem right?
happyteacher
on 12/9/11 9:07 pm
Topic: RE: Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!
 Congrats!  

I just found out that I am the 19th.  What the heck is a Foltz?  I do not have my appointmet to educate me on how to eat after surgery and now I am wondering what I don't know?  Keep in touch and we can spur each other along!
happyteacher
on 12/9/11 9:05 pm
Topic: RE: 10 days Post OP
 Glad to read you are feelig  a little better!
happyteacher
on 12/6/11 1:54 am
Topic: RE: 100lbs at 3 Months
 Wow, I don't even know you but I am REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU!  That truly is remarkable and I can imagine you must be feeling pretty darn good!  I would be thrilled if I lost half of that in 3 months!  I should know my date by tomorrow and it looks like a probable 21st date- yea!
happyteacher
on 12/4/11 8:58 am
Topic: RE: WLS Cook books... websites with recipes for WLS??
 I can relate.  The four basic food groups in my house is boxed, frozen, canned, and take out.  Looking forward to reading the replies on this one, thanks for posting,
happyteacher
on 11/29/11 7:58 am
Topic: RE: Can someone please explain to me?
 Holy crap that seems cheap!  I was told that if you are a cash payer then expect $15,000 total, if billed to insurance double that amount.  They did have a wonderful package for $99 that covered the prerequsite dietician and physical therapist appointments, gym time if desired, everything but doctor's appointments in the phase leading up to approval.  Saved me a bundle not having to pay copays for every visit.  
happyteacher
on 11/29/11 7:09 am
Topic: RE: Thoughts on telling people
 Are you sure we are not married to the same man?
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 10:10 am
Topic: RE: What do you all do to replace the addiction of "food"
On November 27, 2011 at 3:08 PM Pacific Time, riddle wrote:
I was cautioned that once I had the surgery my "food addition" could take a turn into another addiction such as drinking, smoking, gambling, sex, etc.

Well I am 5 weeks post surgery and feeling fine physically.  One of my replacements is "exercise".  I do not plan on becoming addicted to any of the above.

Guess I am looking for a hobby.  Food is a very social event and I am not yet ready to sit down to restaurant meals with others.  I am just not there yet.

What have you all done to replace the food addiction?
 I think my husband would be very pleased if I transferred my food addiction to sex.  ;)
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:33 am
Thank you everybody for all of your helpful and insightful comments, I really do very much appreciate it.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:32 am
 Perhaps after the fact I can address it on a case by case basis.  This way the boss will not think it is cancer, but it will be quite a bit after the surgery so it is plain that I am ok from it... not a bad idea :)
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:30 am
 Dang, I never thought i would wish that I had a hernia... that seems perfect!
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:29 am
 Thought about that too... the youngest is in middle school.  I don't want to lie to them at all, but the youngest will worry incessently about it.  I was thinking of just saying I fell down some stairs, because I would totally do that.  I may tell my older two- they have a better understanding of it and can handle it.  Not sure what I will do yet, but probably will wait until after the surgery and play it by ear. 
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:26 am
 If it wasn't for the boss, I would for sure handle it the way you mentioned- just address it as it comes up.  But I have to deal with the boss.  
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:24 am
 I can see this exact scenario happening in my family.  The husband is going to struggle with not talking about it.  He would then just say that they "guessed" and it wasn't him.  I will have to stop writng this to go threaten him, lol!
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:22 am
 Great point, if it goes well for me and I can help others I would want to be able to support them.  That would be tough though if I am not talking about it!
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:21 am
 Oh, duh.  And I think it is very cool that you felt like you can share!  I would much rather tell my kids that I am missing a week of school before Xmas because of a vacation, that would be so much easier...!  :And I so can't sing, but that is a very cool thing you did for your student's family.
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:18 am
 I think I could handle the negative comments.  In my opinion if they can't keep their mouth shut that is a problem with them, not me.  ;)
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:17 am
 I am not sure my prinicpal would keep it quiet.  When I first had to go to him about the cancer I had to tell him I needed to go out on a short medical leave for surgery, but I didntt know when.  I asked the boss not to tell the superintended (he asked for permission) because I just didn't know enough and wanted to wait until I had a little more concrete information.  I am on a committee with all of the adminstrators, superintended included, and at the next meeting they approached me about it.  The principal didn't know because he ran late that day, but I was PISSED!  Loss of trust to say the least.

On a separate note, because a second opinion said it could be terminal if it got into the eye socket I had to have the surgery done during the school year.  I had a group of students for two years, and one student just had his father pass away from cancer.  It was a real quandary for me- tell the truth to the kids because I would be gone and when I returned I would be bandaged/scarred on the face or make something up.  In the end I decided to contact the mom, explain the situation, and then tell the kids.  If this group of students sees me lose a ton of weight (and they will see me, they constantly come back to visit) they may think that it is also the cancer- especially the one student as his father slowly lost a huge amount of weight.  Ugh, being a teacher can be very complicated!  
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:07 am
 Never thought about a blanket email, i will have to think about that.  I usually do not put anything like that in writing... 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views