happyteacher’s Posts

happyteacher
on 12/11/11 8:19 am
Topic: RE: HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL I'M SLEEVED
Congratulations!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 12/11/11 6:58 am
Topic: RE: Can you drink Isopure Fruit punch drink right after surgery?
 Oh, thank you so much for posting that!  I have one of those stores right down the road from me!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 12/11/11 6:43 am
Topic: RE: 70# gone for EVER!!!!
Congratulations!!

happyteacher
on 12/11/11 6:26 am
Topic: RE: Hi! New to the site would love advice and support!
Hey, we have the same date! I am trying to stock up on items over the next week and just prepare as much as possible. Good luck with your journey!
happyteacher
on 12/11/11 6:24 am
Topic: RE: Can you drink Isopure Fruit punch drink right after surgery?
 Wondering if this counts as clear liquid post-op.  I don't have my post op appointment yet and I am looking to stock the pantry, with my surgery date 8 days away.  I would like to use it the day before surgery, but is the dye a problem??

http://www.amazon.com/Isopure-Protein-Alpine-6-Count-Bottles/dp/B001M0NJOQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Any favorites for those first weeks after surgery (and before you can do shakes)?
happyteacher
on 12/11/11 4:25 am
Topic: RE: 5 days post op - concern/question
 About how long can we expect to be hormonally challenged for??
happyteacher
on 12/11/11 4:23 am
Topic: RE: Almost 2 years out
 It was very nice to catch a post about what it is like in a few years- I appreciate your post very much!  I think about sometime how I might feel once I reach the goal weight, but still restricted.  I am feeling like the restriction will be like a friendly reminder to take care of myself each day in a few years :)
happyteacher
on 12/11/11 4:19 am
Topic: RE: What was your preop liquid diet?
 They did say the would mailing out paper work- hopefully I will get that shortly.  
happyteacher
on 12/11/11 4:13 am
Topic: RE: Dear Lord, I am struggling...
 I agree and appreciate the no  nonsense post.  I am right back on track today :)  Salad with some chicken and bleu cheese crumbles and I am good to go.  Great point about pre-op being practice for post-op- I will think of it this way from this point forward!
happyteacher
on 12/11/11 4:09 am
Topic: RE: The Talk
 Hi Jill,

I think it may be fair to say that all of us have failed at weight management, otherwise we would not be pursuing the sleeve (or have it done already).  I have been lurking on the boards for a while, and it truly seems like people are genuinely motivated by the whole process and regain health.  If you are at a point in your life that you are not trying, then this may be a great path for you to take.  Much better than not trying, and I can relate totally because I gave up some time ago trying to manage the weight.  It has been this process that is putting me back on the right path again and I am feeling better already!
happyteacher
on 12/11/11 4:02 am
Topic: RE: Bariatric Smartphone App
 Love the idea!
Perhaps a weight tracker...bmi tracker...mood tracker.... hunger tracker.... a place to add quick notes 
happyteacher
on 12/11/11 3:48 am
Topic: RE: Made some GOOD broth WITH protein... and I HATE broth! MAJOR score!!!
 Thanks for sharing and I wish you the best on your surgury tomorrow.  Doggonit, it was just at Walmart and those cubes sound right up my alley!  I make homemade chicken  broth, but in a pinch I would absolutely try this.  

I assume that after you cool the soup, combine with the protein liquid mix, that you reheat- ??  Are you storing your stash in the fridge, and if so how long will it last?  Did you premix several servings of the broth with the protein and store, or add the protein at the time of consumption?

Thank you for sharing!
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 9:39 pm
Topic: RE: Soy based protein shakes- any good?
 Hi,

I know we are supposed to use the whey based protein drinks, but I have lactose issues.  Does anyone know if the soy based protein is good, or is it to be avoided like the casein based stuff?

happyteacher
on 12/10/11 9:33 pm
 I think I am going to initiate counseling post surgery.  I was reluctanct pre- surgery due to a constant stream of doctor appointments, but that should settle down in January.  I have crawled back on the wagon, lol- great visual for me thank you!

Wow, five meals from one dinner eating out- that will save some money!  The hubby and I just chatted about how we can order the exact same meal from 5 Guys, and be able to feed us both and our daughter with some left over still.  Of course, I am going to stay away from 5 Guys...

happyteacher
on 12/10/11 9:23 pm
Topic: RE: APPROVED!! HERE WE GO!
 Congratulations!  You can eat sensibly and still enjoy this holiday!  I understand the excitement/terror conflicted feelings- I am right there with you!
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 9:02 pm
Topic: RE: Protein intake grea****er intake not so much.
They think I have a hiatal (spelling?) hernia that they will be repairing also.  I think I may pick up some of the chicken you mentioned to have a plan b...  I hope you get better each day! 
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 8:59 pm
Topic: RE: after completing the requirements for surgery what next??
 Hi Tee,

Here is what the process involved for me, and my surgery is a week from Monday.
1.  Went to orientation, signed up for dietician, exercise guru appointment, and an appointment that determined my fat to muscle ratio or something like that.
2.  I had many of the preeop tests done, as I am a cancer patient.  These included a stress test with o2, an ultrasound of the heart, ruled out apnea, a recent physical.  I needed to complete a psych evaluation.
3,  I needed to lose between 5% and 10% of my body weight, and I am just barely at the low end of that, but still have a week to work on it.  
4.  I had blood drawn on multiple occasions checking for lord knows what.  One of the appointments determined that I needed a vitamin D3 supplement- very common for overweight folks.
5.  Two weeks prior to surgery I have a diet of 4 shakes, 1 light meal, 4 servings of fruit and veggies. 
6.  I am out of sequence here, but once I completed all of the required tests I saw a preop doctor.  She reviewed everything then referred me to the surgeon.
7.  The surgeon saw me one time, explained what the sugery was and answered questions.  I go in for blood work 2 days before the surgery.  They confirmed that my insurance covers the surgery with a preapproval.  I am blessed with awesome insurance, not even a copay!

8.  In all, the process spanned from 9/12 (orientation date approximately****il surgery date of 12/19.  This is considered very fast, as at orientation they indicated it normally takes at least 6 months.  I was quicker due to not having an insurance requierement of supervised weight loss for 6 months and many tests were completed over the summer prior to starting the process.  

Long answer, hope it helped!

happyteacher
on 12/10/11 8:42 pm
 Thank you everybody!  I was wondering if at some point I switched to clear liquids, and it looks like in some cases that is the plan.  I will call in and confirm the last few days.  I don't remember ever them saying clear liquids for a week, and I am pretty sure I would have on that.  I just was a little fuzzy on the day before.  I am thinking even if they do not require it, I may just go clear liquids (no red and purple and such) too.  I know the dye can be confused with blood when scoping so better safe then sorry.  Not sure what to do about the Miralax- seems like a good plan to be cleaned out going in, but on the other hand I absolutely do not wish to deal with runny frequent stools post surgery.  The shakes require me to take colace daily, so I am not in the camp of liquid in and liquid out apparently.  At least not yet ;)

Cheers to everyone and have a great weekend!
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 10:35 am
 I am closing in on my surgery date, and I am curious what others preop diet is-

I am 4 shakes per day, 1 light meal, 4 servings fruit and veggies.  I don't recall them having me stop this before the surgery, but I need to call and check Monday- it has been several months since i had that meeting with the dietican and I promplty lost all of the paper work I was given.  I am losing weight on this and have reached my minimum goal with a week to go.  

Anyone feel like sharing their version?
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 7:27 am
Topic: RE: tech question how do I get my vsg date to post under my avatar?
 I totally just had this same problem, weird!  Thanks everyone!
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 7:10 am
 Hang in there!

I ended up just telling my daughter- and wow, did that make me feel better.  The only people who know so far is my sister, hubby, and now my daughter.  I am replinished, for now...
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 7:03 am
 We have talked about this a bit.  We both want to take up a hobby, but the only one that we wanted to do together?  Take a cooking class.  Sheesh.  We plan on taking more walks though.  This part has been wonderful.  Back when we first dated this was a daily occurence and I never realized how much I missed it until he started going with me over the last few weeks.  So, more walking!
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 5:59 am
 So I am on my 2 week preop diet and struggling.  All last week I was perfect, today fell off the wagon and right into 5 guys for a burger.  I honestly think I need to put myself into counseling- I can't seem to hold it together when I am around the hubby on the weekends.  He is supportive, but we both just adore eating out together.  
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 5:13 am
Topic: RE: im one week away from surgey and getting cold feet
 Dang Gregg,

I could have written your post- same surgery date, same weight, same worry about hitting 400, both parents are deceased from related issues... I agree that it is going to be very difficult, but so much better to be proactive about this.  

For the orignnal post- I was happy to get the date, and that followed immediately by being a little freaked out.  I have kids at home that I want to be home with, and the thought that I could be possibly compromising that  is a little scary.  In the end, I trust my docter.  I have faith.  I have a supportive family, so I have to believe I am making the right choice.  

I looked at skis today- something that I dearly miss in my obsese state.  My goal as of today is to lose the weight and work out so that by this time next year I can be on the slopes.  Try to think about how your life will change in a POSITIVE direction and perhaps that will help- it helps me :)
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views