happyteacher’s Posts

happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:05 am
Topic: RE: Thoughts on telling people
 The small town rumor mill in my neck of the woods is insane.  One year I was pink slipped when I walked into work.  My husband who works as a teacher 40 miles away from my job knew before lunch, and not from me.  Another teacher emailed a teacher who happened to know the teacher who worked across the hall from him and she told him.  Unbelievable.  The one thing I am VERY good at is shutting people down when they start to pry, no worries about that.  I don't care what they say, but I do care if they are upset/concerned that it is cancer when it really isn't.  That can be a drain on the building and morale in and of itself. I already have a few people afraid to talk to me about anything other than very routine stuff, they must think it is contagious!
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 9:01 am
 I agree that some (many) people may attribute it to cancer, and that completely sucks.  I don't want for one second to represent myself in this way, but I also don't want to share.  You bring up a good point about how I am going to explain the weight loss though.  It would be just my luck that I lose hair due to malnutrition and then everybody will think I am dying for sure.  Do you think if i just say i am watching what I am eating and exercising that will be enough?  I don't eat with them for many "full" meals and already routinely sit in the lunch room with just a drink or something, so i don't think that will set off any alarms.
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 8:56 am
 Hr is not an option.  i work in a small town and he is part of the community.  There are also NO jobs in the state of Michigan, especially for teachers.  He is not a bad guy overall, I just have to be careful in this area. 
happyteacher
on 11/28/11 8:54 am
 Thank you for your thoughts.  I am wondering if down the road I may share also, but I dunno... I am just not interested in dealing with drama.  I absolutely abhor the idea of lieing though!
happyteacher
on 11/26/11 9:04 pm
 Just looking for some advice on telling people or not...

At this time I do not plan on telling a soul, other then the husband.  Even with my kids I am planning on saying that I am at a conference for work.  It's not that I care if they know, I just don't think they would keep it to themselves.  

My other concern is at work.  My boss already thinks that I am dying from cancer  (had a bout with skin cancer, no big deal) and it has impacted his views of my performance.  To put it bluntly, he is very sexist and if you don't do exactly what he says he manufactures reasons why you are not doing it... one coworker has "mental health issues" after stopping him from using our records time for staff meetings.  In my case, I was routinely working over 80 hours a week and dropped a bit of the extra curricular to make it more reasonable- he gives me a hard time about it regularly and it quite certain it is because of cancer.  It's not, I just think it is unreasonable to work 80 hours and still not be able to keep up.  Anyway, to make a long story short I feel pretty certain it will be held against me.  

I also don't want to have to constantly explain, defend, or other such nonsense.  This is a personal choice to me and not for others to diagnose or comment on.  When I was first diagnosed with cancer and a bit freaked out I found it a little overwhelming to have everybody tell me about a friend, cousin, etc and demand constant updates, so lesson learned.  

My question is though- is this a reasonable approach?  Is it possible to go through this surgery without it being obvious?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

My appointment with the sugeon is coming up in a few days and I expect that the sugery date will be within the month, and hopefully before Xmas to allow for recovery time over the holiday break.  I need to sort this out before then.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 11/23/11 11:22 pm
Topic: RE: 2b4 pics and 8 after. Not for the weak of hearts
 Seriously, you don't even look like the same person and I found these to be incredibly inspirational!  If I do half as well as you I will be estatic, congratualations!  How long did this take you?  I think I will take some before pics... great idea.  I am not nearly as brave as you about posting, but I very much appreciate your bravery!  Congraulations and happy Thanksgiving!
happyteacher
on 11/23/11 11:17 pm
Topic: RE: Muscle Milk- ugh any suggestions?
 I have never heard of this one, but I will try to track down a sample.  thanks for the advice!
happyteacher
on 11/23/11 11:16 pm
 I will check this out too, thanks!
happyteacher
on 11/23/11 11:16 pm
 I will look for those and try too.  I am sure like most, i am looking for the most cost effective and tolerable option.  I appreciate the suggestion!
happyteacher
on 11/23/11 11:15 pm
 uh oh, forgot about the casein thing.  It said it was lactose free so I assumed it was whey based.  duh.  It was better this morning when I blended it without the ice for sure, but for whatever reason not nearly as satieting as the HMR 70.  I will use this up pre surgery and switch over to a better quality post.  I have not noticed the premier shake at costco, I will check it out- thanks!
happyteacher
on 11/23/11 11:07 am
 So I am working toward my surgery date and am excited that I am closing in on this.  Today at the pre-op appointment they cleared me to see the surgeon to get the date set.  I am looking to continue to lose weight between  now and then and found that the HMR 70 shakes were pretty good and really helps me to moderate calories over the day without feeling half starved.  The down side was the cost.  I went out today and bought a costco size jug of Muscle Milk, as I read that it is far more cost effective and not half bad.  I disagree.  It is terrible.  I am going to make myself work though the darn jug, but I thought I would just put this out there that the HMR 70 shake was worth the difference in price.  The shakes run about $40 for 18 of them compared to $40 of Muscle milk mix that will make 52 shakes.  I found if I add cocoa powder it helps the MM and I need to mix one up without ice to see if that helps.  I just assumed that because I like the HMR better with ice that this would hold true for Muscle Milk.  

Here is the nutrion info on HMR:
110 Calories
14g 14g Protein
0g 0.5g Fat
0g 0g Trans Fat
13g 13g Carbohydrate
220mg 260mg Sodium
300mg 280mg Calcium

Muscle milk clocked in at 
16 grams protein
9 grams carb
2 grams fiber
150 calories
3 gram saturated fat
0 trans fat
2 grams sugar
150 mg sodium
calcium was at 25% daily value

If anyone has any suggestion on how to make my enourmous jug of muscle milk more palateable I would much appreicate the advice!

happyteacher
on 11/23/11 4:12 am
Topic: RE: 3 months out
 Wow, I am just impressed that you have lost 37 pounds.  I would love to lose 37 pounds!  I have not had surgery yet, but from this side it seems like a lot to lose!  Keep up the good work!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views