WHY NO DUMPING SYNDROME WITH RNY GASTRIC BYPASS?

M M
on 2/8/10 9:11 am

Because you are a lucky ****

Be thankful. 

Jackie McGee
on 4/5/11 10:14 am - PA
Exactly. Be thankful. I wouldn't wish dumping on my worst enemy.
Lady Lithia
on 4/5/11 1:12 pm
Amen!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Mysticlippitt
on 2/8/10 9:14 am

Hi All: I guess I asked my question in the wrong manner, lol. I understand what malabsorption does.  But I chose the RNY Gastric Bypass so I would not be able to eat much sugar if any, or any food that is not good for me.  I am concerned that sugar does not cause any symptom like naseau, etc.  My surgery came with bad timing with another tragic stressor in life, and it really messed up my ability to diet properly.  I lost 62 lbs. and so far have gained back all but 20 lbs.  I am going to see my Surgeon for answers in a couple weeks, but any idea why no reaction to sugar????  No naseau, etc.

Thanks,
Mysticlippitt

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/10 9:24 am
Hi there. You are with the majority. As Kelly mentioned, about 70% of people who have RNY can eat sugar without any negative response (aka dumping). 

Unfortunately, it sounds like perhaps you were not aware of this, and were counting on the dumping as a sure thing. 

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having, and about your regain. How's your restriction? Maybe just making some better choices (high protein, low carb) could help you lose some of that regain.

Good luck,

Jenna

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/8/10 10:37 am

Hi,
Even people who dump initially may not dump later on.  So the first few months post op are for us to learn what to eat and what not to eat.  And some of us who dump initially later experience reactive hypoglycemia even with moderate amount of carbs - not only on sugars.  And when that happens - it is very easily to gain the weight and very difficult to lose any - even with proper nutrition.  Not to mention potential very dangerous or even deadly hypoglycemic response when ever - after what ever.   So - maybe it is a blessing that you do not dump ?
I know it is not easy - but try to follow the RNY rules - eat protein first then some veggies and carbs and stay away from sugars.  Just because you do not dump does not give you an excuse to eat that stuff. 
FYI:  dumping is so unpleasant that its effect may last 2-4 days and make one really sick.  Be careful what you wish for.   

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dave55
on 2/8/10 9:21 am - Gaithersburg, MD
As was stated before, MOST RNY patients do not dump. You are in the majority. You need to follow the advice of your surgeon and nut. so that you will start losing again. You can't rely on dumping to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Good luck. You can do it.

Dave

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/10 9:47 am - San Jose, CA
http://www.dssurgery.com/aboutus/Research/safeoperation.pdf

"In this series, all 19 patients who had severe dumping syndrome had also regained a significant amount of weight. This appears to contradict the notion that dumping syndrome is a beneficial side effect of RYGBP as a behavior modification tool."
KARA_TOP
on 2/8/10 10:57 am - richland, WA
I wont even test to see if I dump, I am going to live my life (as I have for the last year) assuming it will happen. 

All time highest: 370
Started this process: 343
Day of surgery: 281
Current: 150
Goal: 140'ish
Wow thats alot of info
walter A.
on 2/8/10 11:06 am - lafayette, NJ
Why are you experimenting with negative food items for a very negaitve event (dumping) , Have you considered mental heath therapy. 
Most Active