Recent Topics
Denials
jenniferdbarnes2007 · 1 replies · 52 views
EGD/colonoscopy
390cooper · 3 replies · 30 views
Loop DS vs standard DS
Forever1 · 2 replies · 29 views

How do you get 100 g. of protein in per day?

mesos
on 2/10/10 7:10 am - Sacramento, CA
I'm struggling to get 75 grams of protein in per day...60 is about where I'm consistently coming in.

Can anybody who is getting 75 - 100 grams of protein in per day give me a sample menu of what you eat...so I can see how you're getting it all in?

If you could also include how many calories you're consuming to get that much protein in too, I'd really appreciate it!

THANKS! 
Andrea U.
on 2/10/10 7:25 am - Wilson, NC
ISS Oh Yeah Protein Shake -- 32g
6oz boiled shrimp and spicy coctail sauce - 36g
12oz sirloin (although I only ate about 6oz of it) -- 69g for 8oz, so 52g

not including incidentals through the day: 120

Andrea U.
on 2/10/10 7:53 am - Wilson, NC
I need to note that this does not include the many cups of coffee w/ skim milk as creamer.  That's protein.

Jackie McGee
on 2/10/10 7:35 am - PA
This is my newly revised menu as my surgeon and PCP are mad that I'm not eating enough/getting in enough calories, but even before this newer menu, I was getting 80 to 100 grams per day.

Breakfast: BSN Lean Dessert Protein Powder (21 grams of protein per one scoop) mixed with water (if I'm at work), fat free milk (about 3 grams of protein) or Vanilla Silk Soy  Milk (about 6 grams of protein)

Lunch: Grilled tofu (usually about 1/2 a cup for about 10 grams of protein) with homemade peanut sauce (averaging about 10 grams of protein per 2 tablespoons depending on the type I use, plus protein from the Bragg's Amino Acids I add to the sauce which is about 1 gram of protein), and a small salad with mixed greens and the rest of the peanut sauce (another 1 gram of protein)

Snack:  BSN Lean Dessert Protein Powder (21 grams of protein per one scoop) mixed with water (if I'm at work), fat free milk (about 3 grams of protein) or Vanilla Silk Soy  Milk (about 6 grams of protein)

Dinner: Baked tempeh (between 15 and 20 grams of protein depending on how much my pouch can handle but 1/2 cup of tempeh has 15 grams of protein) with homemade peanut sauce (again 10 grams of protein for the peanut butter plus about 1 gram for the Bragg's amino acids), and a small salad with the peanut sauce as dressing (another 1 gram of protein) with some salad sized grilled or boiled shrimp (usually 3 oz to 6 oz depending on what I can handle that day so between 18 and 36 grams of protein)

Snack: A slice of cheese (7 grams of protein)

I'm not saying I eat like this every day because I have good days and I have really bad days, but I do eat everything I've listed pretty regularly with some slight variations. Some days I don't have tofu or tempeh at all, just shrimp - or I have chickenless chicken nuggets, salads with soy cheese and soy nuts, crackers with cream cheese, and other things, but...well, I gave you my menu from yesterday.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

M M
on 2/10/10 7:38 am

Two 50 Gram Slams from GNC.

(I don't, but it's possible.) 

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/10 7:41 am
DS on 10/19/09 with
 Hi,

As early out as you are, 60 grams is pretty darn good! It's great that you're trying to work up to a higher amount, though. I'm a DSer, and almost 4 months out, but this might give you some ideas for down the road. This was what I ate yesterday:

B - 8 slices non-nitrate applewood smoked bacon (24 grams)
S - Atkins RTD Chocolate Protein Shake (15 grams) 
L - Peanut butter and 5 Whole Wheat Toasteds crackers (16 grams) 
S - Plain Greek yogurt mixed with Smuckers SF blueberry jam (17 grams) 
D - White Chicken Chili with mexican blend shredded cheese, dollop of sour cream, and a little bit of crushed Soy Flaxseed tortilla chips. (30 grams) 
S - 1/2 roast beef sandwich with mayo and tomato on multi-grain, low-carb bread (22 grams)

Total Protein: 124 grams. Sorry, I don't count calories, so I can't help there.

Jenna
H.a.l.a. B.
on 2/10/10 8:08 am
RNY on 05/14/08 with
At this point - you may be able to get 80 gr on average. 
Where I was there - most of my proteins I was getting from shakes - 60 gr. then I made sure I had the rest 20 gr from food. 
Good quality protein shakes - 2 shakes, each 1.5 scoop = 2 x 30 gr min = 60 gr. Then some from cheese, milk, yogurt, maybe some meat, etc.  The shake were food + liquid - all in one.  I would mic some flavored and some unflavored so the taste would not be as sweet. Or add some to a chicken stock - have that in a large thermos  - and sip for 2 hrs.  What ever would take.  
Even now - I start my day (most days ) with a protein shake - 30-50 gr per shake.  Sometimes I add that to my second coffee, put in my thermo-cup and sip for 1-2 hrs.  Then adding other 50-80 gr during the day is easier.  i.e.. cheese string (1 = 8 gr), yogurt - 1/2 cup =10 gr, milk - 4 oz = 4 gr,   protein bars - as a snack - 15-20 gr.  etc. All adds up.  As we are able to eat more - it should gets easier.

H.a.l.a RNY 5/14/2008    

Need to bitch?  or Rave?  To find new R&R - 3.0 group..- send a PM -  to get included...

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell..."

"So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...." 

iiwicked
on 2/10/10 8:09 am - St. James, NY
is 100 what YOU want or what your NUT/Dr want?  Bc mine just has 60 for females, 80 for males.

Laura_Illinois
on 2/10/10 8:40 am - Morris, IL
Ditto!

If life knocks you down 7 times, get up 8!Laura_Illinois

DeborahS1952
on 2/10/10 8:45 am
I don't get in that much protein. Maybe some folks will disagree but that is unrealistic to me. I get in 60 very nicely and I stand here today, healthy and feeling fine for a 3 month outer. Some long timers may be able to tell you more. 60 is the earmark on all the papers and info I have read from MOST sources. Including my doctor's literature from the hospital.
All time high...280 in summer of 2009. Approx. 276 when I first weighed in at Cleveland Clinic
Hugs to all in this cool group from Deborah. Hang in there on our healthy path. 

Patiurple
on 2/10/10 9:17 am - Wheatland, OK
I have to get 125 in daily...so this is my tric
bkfast a pure protein bar 20 grams
2 hrs later a meal replacement 28 grams
2 hrs later jerky 15 grams
2 hrs after that another pp 20 grams
2 hrs after that either nuts or string cheese 15 grams
dinner chicken or turkey 22 grams
then snack nuts or jerky 15 to 20 grams

the times are varied but i do get it in..I dont do slams or bullets the protein according to my nutritonist is not a good source...plus the taste is nasty

being healthy has its rewards....take the challenge and just do it
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/10 9:17 am - Woodbridge, VA
I do best when I aim for 150 grams of protein daily. To get htere, I usually include 2 shakes during the day with at least 30g protein each.

You're only just over a month out, though - don't push for too much too quickly! 60 is great for early out. Just try to build on that as you go along over the next couple of months.
my4sons911
on 2/10/10 10:53 am - Russell Springs, KY

There is no way that I can eat this kind of volume or every two hours, I asked my doctor and he said 80 grams is a lifetime goal not for right now.  I know I cannot eat every 2 hours I do good to eat every 4-5 and that is usually a challenge after a few bites, just hang in there, my Dr. says to listen to my body that it will tell me when enough is enough and never force it so I do not get back into my old eating habits.

vitalady
on 2/10/10 12:05 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
180g

30g per shake, 6 per day

I don't count calories or fats. Just protein, sugars, serving sizes and number of meals

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

rbb825
on 2/11/10 7:19 am - Suffern, NY
Don't you ever eat? Isn't it unhealthy to only drink shakes?  My NUT said I could still have shakes but no more than 2 per day, I need to have the rest of my protein in food.  I usually only have 1 shake for breakfast, especially in the winter = it is too cold to drinkt them. I shiver for a half an hour when I am finished.

vitalady
on 2/11/10 10:27 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
6 meals per day, 6 shakes

some days, 5 meals, but then, define: meal.

OTOH, our doc said not to count food (and subsequent experiments on myself show him to be quite correct). So, if I do get any benefit of protein foods, it's minimal.

And then, I don't LIKE meat 'n fish so much,. Never did. I do like a good steak now and then, but not enough to sustain any levels.

In 2007, I did all protein foods (meat/fish/chicken, low carb bar (as in 2g carb)) plus my 6 drinks. In 6 months, my protein budged only 0.1. 6 months later (so 1 yr), it had budged again only 0.1 . So, eating more protein foodss, in essence, didn't provide enough change for me to force feed myself food that largely grosses me out, KWIM?

So, my "meat" is chocolate, and I prefer fruits/veggies with a smattering of "flesh". Given a choice, I'd take an all veggie stir fry over one with meat. If I have left over meat, I make it all together, but usually pick out the meat. LOL

Have you tried a warm protein? Not hotter than 160 deg, so regular coffee pot hot, no commercial pots or red switch on a cooler. My Insta Hot is about 163.

Do not SHAKE this. WEll, only once, then yu get to clean your ceiling. Stir, or I use a hand blender or moo mixer type thing. I tried the bullet once, blew the gasket. LOL Lesson: do not seal hot beverages. LOL

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

rbb825
on 2/12/10 7:56 pm - Suffern, NY
I did make hot chocolate the other day with protein powder in it.  It didn't taste too bad.  I mixed the protein powder with a few ounces of water in a small cup and then made the sugar free hot chocolate in a mug.  Then I mixed the too together.  No blender used.  Just mixed with a spoon.

vitalady
on 2/12/10 8:27 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I make all mine to 30g. If you get protein here, all are marked with the "scoopage" to approximate 30g.

Odd as this sounds, if I use coffee straight from Mr. Coffee, I'll get lumps. If I pour it into my cup, then into the protein, I never do. Now, that is just crazy, unless my cup is just cool enough to bring it down 2-3 deg?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

poet_kelly
on 2/10/10 12:29 pm - OH
I get about 80.  I do something like this:

Breakfast- protein shake 20 grams protein 200 calories

Lunch-leftovers from dinner the night before, about one cup of food.  Something like vegetarian chili, some kind of beans, stirfry with veggies and Morningstar fake chicken, etc.  About 15 grams protein and about 300 calories

Dinner-see lunch.  About one cup of food, 15 grams protein, 300 calories

Snack- usually another protein shake, 20 grams protein, 200 calories.  Sometimes Greek yogurt or something else.

Snack- usually a handful of pretzels and some cheese, about 10 grams of protein and 250 calories

Total = about 1250 calories and about 80 grams protein

Kelly
Valerie G.
on 2/10/10 2:36 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If I show you the calories, you'll choke (and I don't count calories anyway), but I eat it all with real food.

B - a cup to a cup and a half of Ricotta Fluff (my profile has recipe) = 20-30g of protein
S - carbmaster yogurt = 12g
L - Chicken burrito bowl from chipotle, sans the rice, with pinto beans, salsa, sour cream, cheese and guacamole = 47g
S - Something sweet most likely with around 6-10g
S - Fried queso blanco = 30g
D - 3-4 oz of meat with veggies and a bite or two of whatever else I want - 30g roughly.

Did I mention that I hate protein drinks?

Valerie
 9 years post op DS 
There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..next to the mashed potatoes