I haven't changed...& don't want to

redenallen
on 5/13/11 4:50 am
I was catching up on some old posts and ran across something that caught my attention.  The OP was talking about how her in-laws and husband were all accusing her of "changing" her personality after WLS.  Someone had responded and said that it was impossible "not to change" after losing a lot of weight. 

I beg to differ.  I don't think my personality has changed since I've lost weight.  I am still the same old me.  I am not drastically more happy or more sad.  My value as a person hasn't changed.  I don't have a bigger backbone.  My husband still wears the pants in our family, somtimes that's good and sometimes that's bad, but it's still the same.  I can say my life has improved because I can be more active and am less tired but that hasn't effected me as a person.  Overall my life is pretty much the same....& I love it that way!

How about you?  Did your personality change after WLS?  Are you a different person now?

Katari
on 5/13/11 4:58 am - OR
Good for you, But i have to ask...Does your husband think you have changed since surgery? What about your friends? Your parents/in-laws? The reason I ask this is because, I still see me as the same person, My hubby says Yes your the same person BUT....I am more prone to speak up when I see something happen that I think is wrong. I also am more active, and that increases HIS activity as well. The changes don't have to be drastic, but they are probably still there..
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/13/11 5:21 am
yeap yeap..yeap...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy R.
on 5/13/11 5:32 am
What Hala said  =)            ^^^^^
martitalinda
on 5/13/11 5:33 am, edited 5/13/11 5:34 am
 I spent as many years being thin as I did being obese.  I am the same person today that I was prior to surgery ... my physical girth impacted my health and mobility ONLY and had no impact whatsoever over my character or my personality.  I am with you ..I am the same person, the same wife, the same mother .. I have not changed and I don't want to either ... I like me just the way I am fat or thin ..I am me...

ETA BTW I was ALWAYS jovial, goofy and I loved to rock my hair and a frock ALWAYS from a child to now ... only difference now is I dare to wear my frocks shorter LOL ... why not? I love it and DH double loves it LOL

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Susan S.
on 5/13/11 5:52 am - Roselle, NJ
I think you're probably talking about my response because I do not believe that someone who goes through massive weight loss - particulalry surgically induced (therefor rapid) is the same. I'm not talking about basic character and values. THose are generally durable and lasting. I'm talking about other things like expectations and behavior. Most of us *****quire WLS use food in maladaptive ways and if we are successful in breaking that pattern we have to develop other ways to deal with our emotions/feelings and our relationships. Those changes influence how we interact and communicate with others. I agree with the question raised above - do your friends and family also agree you are 'the same' One doesn't have to become a self-absorbed appearance obsessed barfly........but I truly don't believe it's possible to be 'the same'. I wouldn't have wanted to stay the same. My values and character are the same yes....but my view of life and what is important to me is quite different. My sister - also morbidly obese - died a few years ago - the age I am now. Her death changed me in equal measure to my WLS - or at least reinforced the ways in which I live my life on very different terms. Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/11 6:36 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
^^ This and this a lot!  
cajungirl
on 5/13/11 6:13 am
I know I've changed, mostly I speak up more and don't allow others to over step boundries.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

redenallen
on 5/13/11 6:15 am
I sometimes ponder whether others think I've changed.  This topic has been heavy on my mind for quite a while.  My husband does comment that I have more self-confidence now and he likes that.  I have always been obese, since childhood at least.  I do think WLS can be seen as a life-changing event.  It has changed my life but I don't think it has changed me. 
I love OH for being able to talk about these things!  People that haven't experienced obesity and WLS just don't understand.

Katari
on 5/13/11 6:46 am - OR
It's fun asking others "how do you think WLS changed me" LOL. Somethings you just don't notice, others are "well, DUH! I should have seen that!". It dosn't mean that your now all of a sudden a Party goer if you were more of the librarian before WLS. It doesn't mean that all of a sudden you turn into the wicked witch of the west (although I have seen that happen, but I think they had those tendencies before WLS. ) Your basic personality doesn't usually change, but some aspects certainly do. Like you said Your husband says you are more self-confident now. That is a change! So NOPE, you can't claim you haven't changed since WLS. LOLOL. You are still YOU, your just a more self-confident YOU than you were before!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Most Active