Atheist Devotional #246--Kevorkian Dies

LeaAnn
on 6/3/11 11:47 am - Huntsville, AL

Does anyone else see the hyprocrisy??

Elaine H.
on 6/3/11 11:55 am
You need to visit a cancer treatment center and see for yourself the need for assisted suicide. Ask yourself if you would like to be so fraile you are confined to a bed and have to live like that.

How about Terry Schaivo - 10 years a vegetable. I hope there are some new Dr. Jacks out there.

By the way I am a 3 time cancer survivor.
          VSG 3/21/11    HW 322  SW  298  CW  200 GW  175  5'7"    age 65                                                                           
LeaAnn
on 6/3/11 11:59 am, edited 6/2/11 11:59 pm - Huntsville, AL
THANK YOU!!

My point was that xians are all too quick to overlook "God's Plan" to support the death penalty, yet the ones that are standing in the way of a person's right to end their own life with dignity.
Laura S.
on 6/3/11 12:41 pm
Kevorkian is from my town.  He would always show up the the annual carnival. One year I snapped a photo with my family and Kevorkian walking by in the back ground.  Funny. I support what he practiced.  No need for people to suffer.

Laura

LeaAnn
on 6/3/11 1:00 pm - Huntsville, AL
*RIGHT?!!*

We'd have our PETS humanely euthanized. A person's life is their OWN, and they have a right to end it if they are terminally ill and in excruciating pain. These are the mercy killings in which Kevorkian assisted.  He was a good man. R.I.P.
Laura S.
on 6/3/11 1:31 pm
I agree.  It should absolutely be a persons right to decide they don't wish to suffer anymore.  Why is it considered humane when we put our pet to sleep but we don't show our loved ones the same kindness?  Make no sense to me at all.

Laura

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/11 3:37 pm
 That has always bothered me. Why is it "humane" to euthanize a pet, but unthinkable to do the same for a loved one who is suffering?  No one should suffer needlessly. When I'm ready to go, I'm damn well doing so on my own  terms. I hope the same for everyone that I love.
MsBatt
on 6/4/11 12:04 pm
On June 3, 2011 at 8:00 PM Pacific Time, LeaAnn wrote:
*RIGHT?!!*

We'd have our PETS humanely euthanized. A person's life is their OWN, and they have a right to end it if they are terminally ill and in excruciating pain. These are the mercy killings in which Kevorkian assisted.  He was a good man. R.I.P.
In all honesty, I support anyone's right to end his or her life, whether they're ternimally ill or---just tired of it all.
LeaAnn
on 6/4/11 3:02 pm - Huntsville, AL
YUP, I agree that a person's life is their own.  BUT, depression is a treatable illness, and people have family and friends that will be devastated by suicide. People really need to stick it out.
MsBatt
on 6/5/11 6:26 am, edited 6/4/11 6:28 pm
On June 4, 2011 at 10:02 PM Pacific Time, LeaAnn wrote:YUP, I agree that a person's life is their own. BUT, depression is a treatable illness, and people have family and friends that will be devastated by suicide. People really need to stick it out.I agree---to a point. When I was 25, my best friend chose to end her life. Shot herself through the heart with a .38.

It took me LONG time to get my head right with that. I was SO angry with her, because of the pain she caused ME---but eventually I understood that it wasn't about anyone but HER.

This happened in 1983, when we had far fewer/less effective anti-depressant drugs. She was on lithium for some time, and she said it made her feel worse, not better.

Saying "people just need to stick it out" is kinda like saying my elderly dog should have just gone on pooping on herself because she couldn't get up. I seriously would have been willing to carry her outside, bathe her 4-5 times a day, whatever it took to keep her on living with me---but I knew she was also suffering and I didn't feel I had the right to deny her release.

Sometimes people just need/want to die.

Wouldn't it be WONDERFUL if years of life were exchangeable? If those who were finished could give their unused years to people who wanted more?

Most Active