A Crossroads:The Sleeve or Roux and Y???

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/28/11 11:48 am - Tuvalu
On August 28, 2011 at 6:41 PM Pacific Time, N. Hernandez wrote:
I am a Kaiser Patient and my BMI is 43. I'm hearing alot mix reviews about the RNY but  the concensus is that there are more cons than pros.  That other procedure, are you talking about the lap band??

I *WOULD* wish the LapBand on my worst enemies.  (I've had one and we have a group here dedicated to failed bands and you can find MANY failed bands on the Revisions board here...so no...if I like you, I'm saying no band.)  

If you need a malabsorptive surgery, there is the RnY *AND* the DS...which Kaiser says they don't do, but, of course, the State Deparmtn of Manged Health Care MAKES them do it.  

So, since you have been approved, figure out what you want...visit the DS site here as well as the RnY and Sleeve groups...and then get what will serve YOU best.  (Are you Northern or Southern Cal?)

Nancy H.
on 8/28/11 12:11 pm
i am So Cal. do you know if the the sleeve and dscan be conbmined or is it one or the other??

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/28/11 12:20 pm - Tuvalu

Okay...don't get mad here but you ned to read a LOT more before you make your decision.  That said...the sleeve is the "upper half" of the DS. 

Go to those boards and read about those.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/29/11 8:57 am, edited 1/6/12 10:47 am - Burlington County, NJ

Lynda D.
on 8/28/11 3:53 pm
On August 28, 2011 at 6:41 PM Pacific Time, N. Hernandez wrote:
I am a Kaiser Patient and my BMI is 43. I'm hearing alot mix reviews about the RNY but  the concensus is that there are more cons than pros.  That other procedure, are you talking about the lap band??
 I'm not sure what you mean, and you're probably not even replying to my post. I'll answer you anyway.

I don't think anyone on this thread said anything about a lap band, so I'm going to assume that the other procedure you're thinking of is the Duodenal Switch procedure. It's basically the sleeve, with the intestines reconfigured. 

When I was researching the DS I got sent to www.dsfacts.com. Check it out. Hopefully it will answer your questions.

Lynda

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

JodiBoda
on 8/28/11 10:48 am - Butler, PA
This is such a personal decision based on lots of research (which it sounds like you are doing) and the pros and cons of all the surgeries.  Not every surgery fits every person.   All require major changes in your life and a lot of hard work.  You need to determine what those changes need to be and what you are ready for along with your own body type.  And don't take just one (or two or even three) person's word for it...read all kinds of opinions and experiences...the good, the bad, and the ugly.  It is a big decision...I truly wish you well, whatever surgery you decide on.

Jodi

"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."  ~ Helen Keller

Nancy H.
on 8/28/11 11:49 am
It sure is and i really don't want my decision to be influence by my insurance, rather than expiriences of those who know it and live it everyday. Thanks a bunch.

Elizabeth N.
on 8/28/11 11:56 am, edited 1/5/12 10:48 pm - Burlington County, NJ

Lynda D.
on 8/28/11 3:55 pm
On August 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM Pacific Time, JodiBoda wrote:
This is such a personal decision based on lots of research (which it sounds like you are doing) and the pros and cons of all the surgeries.  Not every surgery fits every person.   All require major changes in your life and a lot of hard work.  You need to determine what those changes need to be and what you are ready for along with your own body type.  And don't take just one (or two or even three) person's word for it...read all kinds of opinions and experiences...the good, the bad, and the ugly.  It is a big decision...I truly wish you well, whatever surgery you decide on.
 *LIKE* 

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 10:53 am
Another thing to consider.. the current up-to-date stats are showing that the sleeve and RNY are about neck and neck at a year out as far as weight loss is concerned.. You can see what I chose, and frankly.. if you need (BMI?) or think you will need malabsorption, skip the RNY and get the DS. You get to keep your stomach in it's normal arrangement, dramatically reducing or eliminating the many possible downsides of the RNY, while having significant life-long malabsorption.. 
Most Active