A Crossroads:The Sleeve or Roux and Y???

Elizabeth N.
on 8/29/11 1:02 am, edited 1/6/12 10:50 am - Burlington County, NJ

butercup
on 8/29/11 4:05 am - Kennewick, WA
"There are plenty of people with metabolisms that allow them to eat like that and remain healthy"

They have a whole country of them, France. 
kirmy
on 8/28/11 8:37 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
You're pretty uninformed about the DS. I **** twice a day max unless I eat a family block of chocolate, a bowl of pasta and a packet of crisps then on my own head be it! That is the "dumping " of the DS.   I can take NSAIDS as needed.  I eat small to medium portion sizes and as often as a non-dieting normal person.  I make sure I have full fat everything and lots of butter to keep my skin soft and healthy otherwise I get dry skin.  No stretch for me.  I eat 90% protein per meal and it is awesome.  I don't binge eat because I can't due to the VSG portion of my surgery.

It sounds like you've been told horror stories to keep you from asking for the DS by an inexperienced or just plain uninformed surgeon. Please come over and learn a bit more about our surgery.  You are after all living with the first part of it!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/28/11 11:50 am, edited 1/5/12 10:54 pm - Burlington County, NJ

M M
on 8/28/11 12:20 pm
 Sleeve.

I'd not have a RNY.
Patty B.
on 8/28/11 12:50 pm
Do your homework.  I'm happy with my Roux...but not everyone is!  I don't eat every 2 hrs for sure.  I have gained a few pounds back about 8.  My lowest was 147 then up to 153 which I stayed at.  Then trip to Europe and gained those cotton pickin 8 pds ...I bounce up and down like a ball.  I'm 3 yrs out.  I do get reactive hypoglycemia...which is better than dumping for sure.  It cured me of too many bites of something.   Just do your homework.  YOU need to decide what is best for you.  I have to tell you I'm a nurse who talks to people before there surgeries.  I met a DS patient who couldn't eat anything without having diarrhea almost immediately.  She was 90 pds and having it reversed.  That cured me of DS thinking.  But lots of people like it.  You will find good and bad with everything.  You just have to figure what is best for you!  You have decided to get heathy...congratulations!  Patty

feeder3565
on 8/28/11 1:35 pm
This DS patient you met that could not eat anything without having diarrhea and weighed only 90lbs and had to be revised can you tell us the name of her DS surgeon, and the surgeon who did her revision? Something not right here? Karen  

Nancy H.
on 8/28/11 1:01 pm
Now Im curious... Does anyone know if surgeons at Kaiser P in Fontana, CA even perform DS surgeries?? My Options classes never touched on that procedure AT ALL!! Geez I feel so uninformed!!
April M.
on 8/28/11 1:40 pm - MI
Yes, they do perform the DS. You'll have to fight for it.

As for your original question, I knew about Lap-bands, RNY, and the VSG for years. Never did anything about surgery... it wasn't worth it to me. I was not willing to put myself through everything that WLS entails with the outcomes as they were.

One day, I happened to hear of the DS in a documentary I was watching. I started researching that day, jumped through all of the hoops required by my surgeon and my insurance, had part one of my surgery 5 months later, had the second part 4 months after that, and am 6 weeks out now. All told, it has only been 10 and a half months since I first heard about the DS, and I only regret the month and a half that I was dragging my feet getting testing done. 

My point is, as soon as I *understood* the DS, what it is, and the life I could expect with it as opposed to the other 3, having WLS was a no brainer for me.  So for me, I didn't even know it existed, but it was DS or bust.

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

Nancy H.
on 8/29/11 7:54 am
April M... why did you have to have 2 surgeries???
Most Active