A Crossroads:The Sleeve or Roux and Y???

Lynda D.
on 8/28/11 4:05 pm
On August 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM Pacific Time, beemerbeeper wrote:
We are just POOP MACHINES!!!!!  People are going to be paying us to poop in their gardens!!!!  Woo Hoo!  Extra income!!!!

~Becky
Why should I drive down to the dirty, fly infested, city composting station to buy a truckload of compost, or buy an expensive bag of Miracle Grow, when all I have to do is go out and sh*t on my flowers? 

Yup, when I get my revision (someday, I hope, I hope), I'm going to keep a pile of magazines in my flowerbeds to read. You know, since I'll be out there fertilizing all the time. 

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 10:47 pm
 WALKING COMPOST    OMG  I LOVETHAT   !!    
Lynda D.
on 8/28/11 2:55 pm
On August 28, 2011 at 7:46 PM Pacific Time, beemerbeeper wrote:
You know the sad thing is that they hear that crap (pun intended) from so-called medical professionals. 

But since I'm just a crazy old dog lady I guess it is okay that I am a walking compost pile, have constant diarrhea, am unhealthy, and have to eat all the time.

The morning (4 hours) I spent in 90+ degree heat training flyball dogs would really not fit in with the idea that these folks have of DSers would it?  I didn't seem to stink as I saw no one turn up their nose, I didn't have to go to the bathroom and I didn't have to eat.  Hmmmm. 

~Becky
 You know, when I realized that my weight regain wasn't going to magically come off once I weaned off the steroid, and I made a call to my RNY surgeon's office to talk about what to do, the receptionist (or maybe nurse? Not sure) told me they could put a lap band around my pouch. 

Umm, I don't think so...

I told her I was thinking about a revision to a DS, and do you know what she said to me? "Oh, you don't want that, you'll be malnourished and have nothing but diarrhea."

Needless to say, I was shocked. You'd think, working in a bariatric surgery clinic, that she'd have a clue as to what she was talking about. But who knows? Maybe she thought the earth is flat?

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

Julie R.
on 8/28/11 12:40 pm - Ludington, MI
 Walking compost????    I have to say, that's the best one I've heard yet.   I have great visions of us DS'ers sitting down to a nice meal, and getting up immediately afterward to go crap in our gardens, LOL.     Sorry, sweetie, it just doesn't work that way.     I've eaten three solid meals today plus some snacks, and I haven't taken a poop since 8:30 this morning.

The ignorant nature of your post is so humorous, I even had to read it aloud to my husband.   Thanks so much for giving us a good laugh!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/28/11 1:38 pm
I don't want to be a wlaking compost like with the switch, where food just goes in and right out."

WtF are you even talking about??  If you were actually told that, I'd go to another surgeon or whoever was the source. It scares me that people go into life altering surgery so incredibly uninformed. I guess that's why some of us bother here.

And your ridiculous comment about exercise?? What the hell does that have to do with surgery type? Unless you are unfortunate enough to get a surgery that doesn't get all the weight off of you. Lucky us with the DS, since most of us get to a weight we can go do what ever exercise we damn well please (and for this one, it's been skiing / snow boarding, wake boarding, swimming, tennis and ultimate frisbee!).

I hope you're as lucky.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/28/11 3:25 pm - Tuvalu
On August 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM Pacific Time, Bubba-Gump wrote:
Funny I am in the same place as you. My stuff is done, I have BCBS so no hoops. My appt. with the surgeon is Wednesday 31st and I weight 301. I am however 43 and have bone on bone arthritis so I need this weight off fast and rny will get it off fast. 

I have been researching and went to 3 different seminars at 3 different hospital systems to get the most broad opinion out there. I startted wantiing the band but to many complications. From what I have learned the sleeve offers less complications overall, compairable weightloss results with the rny, little to no dumping, little deficiencies. I AM WORDING THIS AS I TOOK IT. NOT AS A PROFESSIONAL. I say this because there are people out there, that had other surgeries that are going to come on here and rave about what they had done and they can eat 3000+ calories and not gain weight.

Comming from my angle I am willing to follow instructions, exercise (which I don't read much on here about people doing that) take my nutrition very seriously.

I am planning on loosing 150 lbs and hopefully that first 6mths to a year I get close to that.
I am planning on experiencing different tastes with trying new recipes.
I am looking foward to learning about the correct things to eat and to eat for fuel & also enjoy it. 
I am setting myself up for success to lose 150lbs. 

I will talk to the surgeon on Wed but I am pretty sure I am getting the sleeve. 

I don't want to deal with slippage and poor weight lose with the band.
I don't want to be a wlaking compost like with the switch, where food just goes in and right out.
I don't want to have to deal with malabsorption the you get with RNY. 

You can lose the weight you want with the sleeve, you just need to commit to do the work.

Good luck.

"I am planning on loosing 150 lbs and hopefully that first 6mths to a year I get close to that.
I am planning on experiencing different tastes with trying new recipes.
I am looking foward to learning about the correct things to eat and to eat for fuel & also enjoy it. 
I am setting myself up for success to lose 150lbs. "

Well, if it's all about what you plan to do, why the hell do you need ANY surgery?  Just Plan On and watch those pounds drop off.

BTW, the DS has requirements that you OBVIOUSLY don't meet, so I think it's good that you aren't looking into it.

kirmy
on 8/28/11 8:29 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
For ***** sake!!! A walking compost heap!! i **** twice a day!  You're a fool!

So from one person who eats over 3000calories of anything I want a day and has perfect blood cholesterol and metabolic markers I can honestly say you Sir/Mam are a wanker!

p.s. I just had to throw my size 10 jeans out cause they kept falling down and am now onto size 8's and shrinking, I bench press 100lbs and am working on powerlifiting as well. So obviously my **** smeared and frail self is going to need some advice from your "professionals" regarding my pitiful ****ting self.  Must dash to the loo...I had a glass of pig fat and need to crap AGAIN!  OHH no my hip bones just spontaneously fractured and my hair fell out!

p.p.s. That is sarcasm for those not blessed with understanding irony...you guys have the Republican party so........

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 11:18 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I will share this tricky possibility of the sleeve that was no where in any of the glossy brochures :} 

I dont absorb/retain (insert whatever word you like) all the dense protein that I eat, no matter HOW MUCH I eat.  The calories yes, but the nutritive value, no.

I *MUST* drink 3 to 4 shakes PER DAY to keep my protein lab values at LOW NORMAL. 

Now, if I had known that before surgery, it definitely would not have been a deal breaker, but honestly if I didnt exercise those 400 to 500 calories in shakes alone a day would bum me out (since I like me some solid food!). 

So, I just wanted to share that. I have not found many of us, and I dont know if its because folks don****ch their own lab trends or if there really are only 2 or 3 of us, but I imagine with the sleeve as a more popular option, its going to be more prevelent.

Anyhooo!  Just a PSA about that piece of life with the sleeve! 
beemerbeeper
on 8/29/11 1:23 pm - AL
Hey Brandilynn,

Have you heard about CAKE SHAKES?  A way to EAT yummy protein powder that tastes like CAKE (and is very low carb too.)

~Becky

MsBatt
on 8/28/11 10:56 am
If I HAD to chose between these two, I'd go with the Sleeve. It preserves the pylorus, and all normal stomach function. And while there's not a long of long-term data in yet, it appears to have about the same long-term weight loss as the RNY. (Roux-en-Y)

What's your BMI? Are you going to be happy at 201 pounds? And most importantly, have you researched the DS?

The DS has the VERY BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. It also has themost liberal post-op eating plan.

Most Active