A Crossroads:The Sleeve or Roux and Y???

Nancy H.
on 8/28/11 11:53 am
I've noticed that... not only are they neck and neck as far as weightloss.... but the failure rate is just as high. I'm just glad that i have forum with patients such as yourself to help. thank you.
beemerbeeper
on 8/28/11 12:02 pm - AL
It isn't about what happens at one year out.  Truly.  A lot of us could lose weight with dieting but couldn't KEEP it off.  So truly it should be about which surgery has the best LONG term (longer than 1year) results.  Right?

Here's some reading for you:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4391498/RNY-insulin-carbs-we ight-regain-Articles/#36305662

www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx

www.dssurgery.com/procedures/compare-surgical-procedures.php

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4416755/Must-Read-Transcript-o f-Dr-Roslins-Presentation-to-ASMBS-on/

Read those and then go to www.DSFacts.com.

AND also read the revision forum, and the failed surgery forum and the various surgery forums.

But what EVER you do don't get a lapband.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 12:08 pm
.. re: failure rates, the studies coming out seem to be a tad in favor of the sleeve for the long term. Please read this transcript, it might be insightful.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the- Patient-Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/
Bubba-Gump
on 8/28/11 10:56 am
Funny I am in the same place as you. My stuff is done, I have BCBS so no hoops. My appt. with the surgeon is Wednesday 31st and I weight 301. I am however 43 and have bone on bone arthritis so I need this weight off fast and rny will get it off fast. 

I have been researching and went to 3 different seminars at 3 different hospital systems to get the most broad opinion out there. I startted wantiing the band but to many complications. From what I have learned the sleeve offers less complications overall, compairable weightloss results with the rny, little to no dumping, little deficiencies. I AM WORDING THIS AS I TOOK IT. NOT AS A PROFESSIONAL. I say this because there are people out there, that had other surgeries that are going to come on here and rave about what they had done and they can eat 3000+ calories and not gain weight.

Comming from my angle I am willing to follow instructions, exercise (which I don't read much on here about people doing that) take my nutrition very seriously.

I am planning on loosing 150 lbs and hopefully that first 6mths to a year I get close to that.
I am planning on experiencing different tastes with trying new recipes.
I am looking foward to learning about the correct things to eat and to eat for fuel & also enjoy it. 
I am setting myself up for success to lose 150lbs. 

I will talk to the surgeon on Wed but I am pretty sure I am getting the sleeve. 

I don't want to deal with slippage and poor weight lose with the band.
I don't want to be a wlaking compost like with the switch, where food just goes in and right out.
I don't want to have to deal with malabsorption the you get with RNY. 

You can lose the weight you want with the sleeve, you just need to commit to do the work.

Good luck.
Nancy H.
on 8/28/11 11:56 am
I hear you. I am ready to work hard at getting the results i want. I'm looking to loose at the very least 100lbs. I wish you all the luck too.
beemerbeeper
on 8/28/11 12:05 pm - AL
Excuse me?  Walking compost?

That is ridiculous.

If you want to dismiss a surgery at least dismiss it for a REAL reason and not for somethiing as ridiculous as that.  WHO told you that?

The DS is the best surgery as foud by the SCIENCE for everything they study in weight loss surgery except for resolution of GERD.  We are not walking compost creators.  We have the best long term results, the least need for revisions and the most "normal" post diet for life.

Walking compost?  Are you saying we STINK?

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 12:09 pm
Lol. I was waiting for someone to jump on that favorite tidbit of misinformation! Whoohoo!
beemerbeeper
on 8/28/11 12:46 pm - AL
You know the sad thing is that they hear that crap (pun intended) from so-called medical professionals. 

But since I'm just a crazy old dog lady I guess it is okay that I am a walking compost pile, have constant diarrhea, am unhealthy, and have to eat all the time.

The morning (4 hours) I spent in 90+ degree heat training flyball dogs would really not fit in with the idea that these folks have of DSers would it?  I didn't seem to stink as I saw no one turn up their nose, I didn't have to go to the bathroom and I didn't have to eat.  Hmmmm. 

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 12:50 pm
You know, somewhere in my sick mind that made me picture a DSer pooping all day like a soft-serve machine.. sorry, that's my twisted brain talking..

Though it would take talent..

beemerbeeper
on 8/28/11 12:54 pm - AL
We are just POOP MACHINES!!!!!  People are going to be paying us to poop in their gardens!!!!  Woo Hoo!  Extra income!!!!

~Becky

Most Active