what can you do with canned crab?

jenysez1
on 9/4/11 4:10 am - LA
I bought some canned crab and now I just stare at it on my shelf.  I love crabs, I live in Louisiana and usually have them spicy boiled or normally in a fatty cream soup, but what do I do with canned crab?

Jenny

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/11 4:57 am - San Jose, CA

Mix up with a bunch of mayo, spicy mustard, bread crumbs, capers, pimentos, stuff into big mushrooms (after removing the stems and chopping some of the stems up and mixing them into the stuffing too), sprinkle the top with Hungarian hot paprika, bake at 375 until the 'shrooms are cooked.

Well, that's DS health food anyway!  (Except the bread crumbs, which there isn't that much of in the mix, just enough to stick the stuffing together.)

jenysez1
on 9/4/11 5:51 am - LA
Sounds yummy, not sure if I am at that stage yet, but will have to copy this one for later.  Love stuffed mushrooms.  Thanks

hollykim
on 9/4/11 10:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
crab cakes what about in your cream soup instead of fresh....

jenysez1
on 9/4/11 11:14 am - LA
I could try it in some sort of cream soup.  I will just have to watch the fat.  Not sure if Blue Runner brand is all over or just local (they make red and white beans.  I noticed they make creole and bisque base in the can where you just add the meat.  I may have to look into that.  I would love to find a more Weight Loss Friendly crab cake recipe. 

Jenny

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/11 8:21 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Try using it as if it's tuna;  make a salad with finely chopped onion, celery, and some mayo.

Good luck!
jenysez1
on 9/4/11 11:10 am - LA
I was thinking of that.  I just have to get use to chicken, tuna, crab, etc salad with nothing to eat with it.  I wish I could do wheat crackers or whole wheat bread rounds, but just eating it with a fork has me a little grossed out.  I even wish I was at the lettuce stage and I would make it in a lettuce wrap.  Guess if I get hungry enough or need the protein I will do what I have to do.  Bad thing is I was such a picky eater prior.

Jenny

jcbroockerd
on 9/4/11 1:54 pm - MD
 I mixed it with fat free cream cheese, some lemon juice and bit of butter-flavored olive oil and mixed it very well. It's delicious! You can do the same with shrimp and salmon, too. Add some celery, some mustard or whatever condiments you like.

339 was the weight I joined OH at. 432 is the weight I decided I needed to change my life.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 9/4/11 11:06 pm

If you can't eat crackers what about slices of cucumber with the skin removed, tomatoes or  green pepper slices

Winnie

sweetpotato1959
on 9/5/11 3:23 am
 Have them the way you usually do, but change your recipe, reduce the spices, if they hurt you and reduce the fat from the soup, cream with  corn starch if you don't tolerate milk... Depends on how you want them...But if I used them for a crab salad, I would make that fat free  mayo or I would throw up my toenails!
Most Active