X-Post: Monster Milk 45g protein w/ 12g carbs?!?!

ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/8/11 7:15 am

What do you think?  It doesn't taste horrible and might be a great liquid for post op.  They cost about $6-$8 per bottle, but it's half a days serving protein.  Yes or No??

Monster Milk RTD (Chocolate) Information (Protein (RTD))

Monster Milk RTD (Chocolate) by CytoSportManufactured by CytoSport
Serving Type: liquid
Available: yes

Monster Milk RTD is a pre-mixed protein drink containing 45 grams of protein per 20 oz. bottle consisting of whey and free-form BCAA's complemented by slower, anti-catabolic caseins and milk protein isolates.

Each Bottle Provides
-Protein (Whey And Caseins)
-Creatine
-L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine
-MCT's, Sunflower Oil, Canola Oil
-Fiber

Serving Size: 1 bottle(20 ounces)
Calories: 330
Calories from fat: 80
Total fat: 9g
Saturated fat: 3g
Trans fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 15mg
Sodium: 560mg
Potassium: 1340mg
Total Carbohydrates: 17g
Dietary fiber: 5g
Sugars: 0g
Protein: 45g

Vitamin/Mineral/Percent RDA
Calcium: 50%
Thiamin: 100%
Riboflavin: 100%
Vitamin B6: 100%
Folate: 100%
Vitamin B12: 200%
Chromium: 100%

Full ingredent list:
Purified Water, Calcium And Sodium Caseinate, Milk Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder, Blend Of Vegetable Oils (Sunflower Oil And Canola Oil), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Maltodextrin, Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin (Soluble Dietary Fiber), Potassium Citrate, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Whey, Creatine Monohydrate (Kre-Alkalyn®), Soy Lecithin, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Cellulose Gum, Monosodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, L-Leucine, Acesulfame Potassium, Tricalcium Phosphate, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, Carrageenan, Sucralose, Chromium Nicotinate, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate, Cyanocobalamin.

Gluten Free

Recommended use:
Before Exercise: 90 - 120 minutes before
After Exercise: 15-30 minutes after
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
glzgowlass
on 10/8/11 8:12 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
just going by my doc.'s office instructions, it doesn't seem to have much in the way of amino-acids.  I was told 100% whey protein isolate with about 18-20 amino-acids listed on the label.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

poet_kelly
on 10/8/11 2:36 pm - OH
This does have all the essential amino acids.  It is not whey isolate but it is milk protein and that has all the amino acids.  Products are not required to list amino acids on the label.  I'm assuming that's because all protein contains amino acids and they list the protein in the ingredients.  If your surgeon only wants you to choose protein powders that list all the amino acids on the label even though they are not required to do so and even though every protein powder that contains whey  isolate contains the same amino acids, you can certainly follow his advice but there will be numerous products you will have to avoid because even though they contain the amino acids, they don't bother to list them all on the label.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 10/8/11 8:12 am
The calories alone would be 1/3 of my day, the calories from fat ration is extremely high, we don't absorb 45 gms of protein at a time and being a liquid you can't be sure how much is going to stay in your pouch (rny patients) at a time. For me my doc doesn't recommend liquid calories and would prefer his patients to get their protein from food - the denser the better as it stays with us longer. check with your doc - Mine told me I absorb 25+ gms of protein per serving and no more. TO eat or drink something that's higher is a waste of protein (and money) and it seems the caloric content is really high to get in that many protein grams in a serving. The sodium listed is a half a days intake so you'ld have to watch it the rest of the day. Not worth it to me for a glass of milk.  You'ld be better off with a denser meal if you're trying to get in protein and stay full until the next meal.
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY
poet_kelly
on 10/8/11 2:39 pm - OH
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says we DO absorb more than 25 grams of protein at a time.  A shake with 45 grams of protein is NOT a waste of protein or money.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Elizabeth N.
on 10/8/11 8:48 am, edited 1/2/12 10:39 am - Burlington County, NJ

ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/8/11 9:04 am
Thank you for your responses.  I was hoping this would be great for immediately post op when I hear it's very hard to get down liquids and protein.  If I sipped on even one of these in a day, it would greatly increase my protein intake.  Thanks again.
hedrider
on 10/8/11 2:01 pm - Midlothian, TX
Full ingredent list:
Purified Water, Calcium And Sodium Caseinate, Milk Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder, Blend Of Vegetable Oils (Sunflower Oil And Canola Oil), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Maltodextrin, Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin (Soluble Dietary Fiber), Potassium Citrate, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Whey, Creatine Monohydrate (Kre-Alkalyn®), Soy Lecithin, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Cellulose Gum, Monosodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, L-Leucine, Acesulfame Potassium, Tricalcium Phosphate, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, Carrageenan, Sucralose, Chromium Nicotinate, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate, Cyanocobalamin.

My concern with this is - how much of the 45g are from quality protein?
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

poet_kelly
on 10/8/11 2:40 pm - OH
It's all from quality protein.  Calcium caseinate, milk protein isolate, and whey are all good sources of protein.  In fact, they are all forms of protein that comes from milk; they are each processed a bit differently, but are all good forms of protein.

ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/8/11 10:50 pm
Thanks for all your posts!
Most Active