Overnight bag...what to pack?

Dorathea
on 2/18/12 5:47 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12

When I got my band I got to go home the same day.  I know with the revision that I will be staying a couple of nights in the hospital.  Might acutally be a little relaxing to be away from home.  LOL!  I'm in the process of getting my bag ready because I know how fast things can go now that I have my insurance approval.  I'm trying to figure out what to pack in my overnight bag.  I purchased myself a brand new pair of slippers today and I've got chapstick on my list, but I would really appreciate some more suggestions.  TIA!

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

jdragr
on 2/18/12 6:03 am - AL
RNY on 02/09/12 with
I took Biotene mouthwash for dry mouth and it was a lifesaver since I was NPO for 2 days.
SW 296

Dorathea
on 2/18/12 6:04 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
Thanks!  Those are both good ideas.  Did you get sugar-free livesavers?

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

AnneGG
on 2/18/12 6:07 am
You won't need much of anything beyond your chapstick and slippers and maybe a soft pillow to hold over your tummy on the drive home and a bathrobe to cover the open rear of your johnny while you are walking walking walking the halls. Get yourself out of bed and move move move!

Good luck!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Dorathea
on 2/18/12 6:20 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12

Thanks Anne!  I figured I would need the regular stuff like toothpaste, shampoo (once I'm allowed to shower), deodarant, nice loose clothes for the ride home.  I also planned to take my computer, so I can update everyone on my status, plus get some work done on my masters thesis, in between the walking.  I also had plans to buy me a nice new nightgown for the occassion.  I guess I'll be making a trip back to the Walmart tomorrow.  I owe my neice a tube of chapstick any way.

poet_kelly
on 2/18/12 7:16 am - OH
You're not gonna get any work done on your thesis.  You will only be in the hospital one or two nights, unless you have complications.  You'll be drowsy from pain meds and sleeping a lot when you're not walking or trying to drink fluids.  You can take a nightgown if you want but you'll have to wear the hospital gown into the OR and it will probably be easier to just use a hospital gown there because of the IV and catheter and maybe drain and everything.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 2/18/12 9:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I wouldn't bother with the new nightie.  Your wounds will seep a little and ruin it lickety split.  Use the hospital gowns, and ask for a second one to use for a robe when you walk.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JJ_
on 2/18/12 8:58 am
Bring ear plugs in case you are not in a private room.  Best investment for me :)

Judy
Alyson M.
on 2/18/12 9:50 am - Dennis Port, MA
I second bringing the pillow for the ride home, it helps, especially if there are bumps in the road! Bring more than one chapstick, because inevitably one will be too far to reach, and I don't know about you but I didn't want to ring for the nurse JUST to grab it for me! I brought three and always had one within reach :)

310/229/132/160 (highest/current/lowest/goal)

pinkpeonies
on 2/18/12 12:07 pm, edited 2/18/12 12:08 pm
VSG on 04/23/12
Definitely skip the new nightie. For now at least. Maybe save that for when you've lost X amount of weight and want to reward yourself with something.

I've had a few surgeries and have learned a bit.

- The hospital may provide some basic toiletries (soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, lotion) but don't count on anything besides standard hospital-strength liquid soap.

- Bring what will make you most comfortable. For me, that's my own toothbrush and toothpaste, travel-size toner and lotion for my face, travel-size deodorant and hand lotion.

- Hair brush or comb, travel size shampoo (or even dry shampoo), styling cream/gel/mousse/whatever. If your hair is long enough, bring an elastic to put in a low ponytail and get it out of your face, or a soft headband you can sleep in.

- They will have tissues.

- They may give you non-skid socks to wear before surgery and you can keep those for during your stay. I like them for keeping my feet warm in bed and I prefer my own slippers for walking around.

- I also have someone bring my own pillows from home to use once I'm set up in a room. And then I ask the nurse for more pillows: one under my knees, one to hold against my belly, and if they've got plenty, I love having one on either side of me.

- They'll have appropriately sized johnnies. Use those. It'll be easier to lift so they can check your bandages and your belly. It'll also be much easier if you're shaky and need a nurse to help you balance on the toilet. They can hold it up while you take care of business.

- They'll give you a 2nd johnny to throw on backwards (opening in front) to preserve your dignity while you walk the halls. Your own bathrobe would work too, but it's one more thing to carry in and out.

- Maybe a book.

- Glasses. Not sure about contacts and cleaners--I don't wear them so never had to think about that.

- Lip balm.

- Biotene--love the idea of that!!! Definitely something to rinse out your mouth if they'll let you.

- Check your hospital. One I stayed in had little laptop-type things at each bedside so I used that when I felt up to being online. I'm not sure I'd bring my laptop. There is theft even in hospitals. If you're sound asleep and leave it next to your bed, it could easily walk away. (This also makes me nervous for my e-reader, so I'll probably pick up an actual book to have with me.)

- For going home, have whoever picks you up bring your sunglasses. Also, last time I had abdominal surgery, I was given a plastic-ey pillow with a case over it to hold against my tummy. I kept it with me while they wheeled me down to the car and then held it against me getting into the car. At that point, I was hurting a lot. The person with the wheel chair told me to keep the pillow and strap the seat belt over it for the ride home. That was a HUGE help. I got to keep a pillow that didn't get ruined by seepage from my incision. If you can manage something similar for the ride home, it's totally worth it.

I can't think of anything else right now but will edit if I do. (I love that you can edit your own posts!)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

5/27/14 - Extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair

12/20/14 - Breast reduction/mastopexy with bra line back lift

Most Active