Chewing Ice?

appleone1
on 3/15/12 12:05 am - houston, TX
 hello just had labs done my iron level was ok but i just seem to chew on ice all day long especially from sonics i find my self skipping meals just to eat ice is that crazy or what,, please tell me im not the only one . they said usually its from low iron.. and since with this surgery was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

Dorathea
on 3/15/12 12:21 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
I have a friend who had her bypass a few years ago and she chews ice all day.  Iron is good too.  She says she does it to help get in her required amount of fluids.  Don't know if this will help, but thought I would share.

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

Tammy H.
on 3/15/12 12:57 am - Greenville, OH
My biggest concern would be breaking your teeth down, splitting them from chewing ice.

After I had my surgery, my surgeon never talked to me about calcium and my teeth became really brittle...I ended up having to get them all pulled and dentures because they kept breaking off...It was terrible!!! 

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

Andi190827
on 3/15/12 2:00 am - Fort Leavenworth, KS
 I did for a few years after my RNY. I think I did it to keep my mouth busy at first, but then it just became a habit. I quit because I developed TMJ in my jaw.
My iron was on the low normal side at times when I chomped on the ice but mostly had normal levels.
Andi Highest 278 lbs, Pre-op 269 lbs, Goal/Current 150/160 lbs
Currently looking into plastics...

Change the voices in your head... Make them like you instead.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/15/12 2:59 am
was is OK?
iron?
iron saturation %?
ferritin? 

they may be "normal" but too low.  When my ferritin dropped low - still "normal" but low - I had most of the symptoms of low iron.    I needmy ferritin > 50 to feel good... Finally got iron infusions and now at 90... feel good...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MichelleNC
on 3/15/12 4:25 am
My friend does this too and she does know the gas stations near her with the good ice LOL. But at home she puts the ice on crush in the fridge setting for the ice maker. It goes thru one time and she puts in in again to make it smaller pieces. She has great teeth and the pieces are so small it makes it easier to crush with your teeth and makes you feel like your chewing.
Good Luck

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Most Active