loose skin BUT not enough for surgery--what to do?

star733
on 4/19/12 4:27 pm
 OK-i had my sleeve on sept.26th and have almost lost 100 pounds BUT i see loose skin all over me. not 'hanging rolls' like some people have but simply 'loose' like, when i move my legs a certain way my thighs look like a wrinkled cotten shirt or like they have tiny 'ripples' in the skin on them. my arms do the same thing and my throat has one spot that looks like that. i'm 45 years old and knew my skin elasticity wouldn't be too good BUT is there anything i can do to combat the 'loose hide' look? other than cover it up?
thanks!!!

Valerie G.
on 4/19/12 8:54 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Things change "just a little bit" over the years where you don't look quite so awkward, but no miracles should be expected.  Unfortuneately, there are no magic creams or lotions, so camoflague is your best asset. 

Know what clothing styles compliment you best and don't fall for the trends.  The saddest thing I see in women with freshly lost weight is that they try to wear clothing that is definitely not suited for their bodies.  There is something out there that looks good - I promise, and one thing to get into your heads is just that they make it in your size, doesn't mean you ought to wear it.  I thank God everyday that Bermuda shorts are in style, because my thighs are the ugliest thing on me.

From the boobs to the knees, I have a shaper that gives me a perfect hourglass figure, smoothing out the looseness and ripples (see family pic in my profile to see what I'm talking about).  If I wear a snug cami along with the shaper - hubby calls it "Ft Knox" because everything is rock-solid.  Get the shaper a size larger than your size so you're comfortable.  You don't need to be stuffed like a sausage - just smoothed out. 

For the rest of your body, look around at the average 45 yr old woman.  Our (I'm 42, so I count too) bodies are now imperfect.  Everyone has a sag here and there, so I'm blending in with those in the same time of their life, so what's to worry?  I think it's easier for us in our 40's+ than the younger wls gals, because we are not expected to be rock-hardbodies.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

syl2468
on 4/20/12 2:12 am
Valerie!  What shaper are you partial to?  I have one spanx but I'm looking for others.  Thanks!

HW 342, Start WLS Program-320, Surgery-314, Goal-160 or "we'll see..."

southernlady5464
on 4/19/12 11:17 pm
I'm where you are...I only had 80 lbs to lose...and look like a melted candle. The ONLY skin removal my insurance will pay for is a panni but even that ON ME is not a big enough issue. So no help forthcoming from the insurance industry. And self pay is out of the question...we have other priorities.

It also helps that I am 57 and other than a baby muffin in my middle, look great in clothes now. Okay, IF I stand a certain way, I get funky rolls from the weight loss in my arms. I WISH I could stuff the extra skin UP in my bra and have it stay there, my stomach would look GREAT.

I do not wear shapers...too much like a GIRDLE in my book, plus it's too hot in the summer.

To be honest, the ONLY person really bothered by my "hanging skin" is ME....other people really don't care, they have too many of their own issues to worry about. And I am NOT 20 years old any longer, I EARNED my wrinkles.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

stlfocus
on 4/19/12 11:31 pm - IA
I am in the same situation as you southerlady other than I am age 60.  Melted candle is a good analogy. 

I am really not worried about the extra skin  because I look damn good in clothes. 

Wouldn't trade for anything.  90 plus pounds gone!

Ms Shell
on 4/20/12 2:57 am - Hawthorne, CA
Not sure if you are apposed to having surgery...because "mommy makeovers" are there to take care of "just a little loose skin" so you could have surgery if you wanted to.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

star733
on 4/20/12 3:08 am
 i'm not opposed to surgery, just can't afford it and insurance won't cover anything cosmetic...what  is 'mommy makeovers'?

Ms Shell
on 4/20/12 5:40 am - Hawthorne, CA
Oh ok...mommy makevoers are what mothers get who don't have a lot of excess skin...

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

KathyA999
on 4/20/12 12:40 pm, edited 4/20/12 12:41 pm
Lipo in a Box - very comfy.  I recently bought one from QVC that was a little looser in the butt and boobs so you can have a teeny shape "back there" and don't need a bra - at least I don't with this thing on.  (BTW, that's sayin something from a gal who used to wear a 44DD.)  But it smooths out my torso very nicely!

ETA: Also hear good things on this board and elsewhere about Target's shapers, which are apparently made by Spanx, I think it's called Assets or Love My Assets or something.  Good holder-inner and good price, but haven't tried em.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Jolly Rancher
on 4/20/12 2:05 pm
I have both Assets from Target and Sweet Nothings from Walmart. Oh, for point of reference, I also have 2 things from Spanx. I will never pay Spanx price again. I love the body suits at Walmart and they are tighter (hold in better) than the Assets. You wear your own bra, so that's a plus for me as well.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Most Active