Nutrition Question

Diabolique
on 7/19/12 2:15 pm - Las Vegas, NV
RNY on 09/19/12
I need some advice on the nutrition drinks for the first month after surgery.

Can I mix a spoon of pure protein powder into the pre made slimfast shakes?  I know that the shakes on there own do not provide enough protein but does anyone know if I can use the shake as a base and add some extra protein to it?
acbbrown
on 7/19/12 2:30 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Why do you want to use slim fast? Considering the price, you could get other ready-to-drink protein shakes that will be more nutritionally beneficial. 

Worse case scenario - get some low calories, unsweetened almond milk aa a base for shakes and mix protein powder with that ( i prefer to blend it a litte but early out, that might add too much air and be uncomfortable).  

My preference for immediately post -op through the first 3 months was premier nutrition shakes - when it was hard to get enough fluids as it was, it was super covenient and easy to get 30g of high quality protein in an 11oz shake. Most other RTD shakes give you maybe 15-20 g in 11-14oz servings, so you have to drink more to get enough protein. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

poet_kelly
on 7/19/12 4:21 pm - OH
Sure.  Jus****ch the amount of sugar in the Slim Fast.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 7/19/12 9:41 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
You can pretty much mix it in with whatever tastes good to you, which is most important.  Nothing will give you bliss - but whatever "sucks less" when you're post op.  Some like the Nectar products and mix them in with crystal light.  The almond milk is a great idea (since milk is often a cause of intestinal gurgling - and it tastes great). 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jilly Bean
on 7/20/12 5:43 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12
 "Whatever sucks less".  God, isn't that the truth!

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Leslie Stout
on 7/20/12 7:16 am - IA
I was doing research in the Protein Powder aisle at Walmart (haven't had my surgery yet) and I found something that caught my eye.  I found whey protein isolates and SOY protein isolates.  Does it make any difference which you purchase???  Thanks
Turtle Lynn
on 7/20/12 7:52 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Whey and Soy smell and taste different.  Vitamin Shoppe also sells an egg white protein (I haven't tried that yet). 

I use the soy-based ones because the whey makes me .

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Leslie Stout
on 7/20/12 10:08 am - IA
So being isolates is the main factor...soy or whey or even egg, doesn't matter then?  Cool...that opens a few more possibilities.  Thanks
Most Active