Ontario Surgery Options - OHIP

Jayme34
on 11/11/12 10:55 am - Canada
RNY on 03/13/13

So I am about to go for my post op diet class on Nov.20th and then to meet a surgeon at guelph hospital.

here are my concerns, I have osteoarthritis in my left knee, obviosuly weight related as I am age 35. I have also been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and we have a strong family history of this, my mom , my sister and I. My sister had gastric bypass about 10 years ago and she takes NSAIDS.

I have taken nsaids for years too. Without them I can hardly walk and my joints are extremely stiff making it impossible to get even the simpliest things done.

When i saw the nurse in guelph , she told me i would have to stop taking the anti-imflammatories for life. Granted i realize that my knee pain should get better but what if it doesnt get 100% better; she told me to only take narcotic pain relievers such as percocet and tylenols. Anyone who knows about arthritis knows that tylenol does really nothing for stiffness, pain etc.

The nurse told me that OHIP only covers the Sleeve in certain cir****tances and that mine wouldnt be one of them. Only 3% of all people get the sleeve paid for my the goverment and that basically having arthritis wouldnt be a good enough reason.

She also told me to decide to have surgery without the use of these meds or take the meds and forget about surgery!!!

Does anyone know how accurate this is? or what reasons did you have that were approved for the sleeve surgery? I am really hoping that i can convince the doctor that i need the sleeve vs. rny

Guelph Registry July 17,11, Orientation July 27,2012, First appts with Rn,Sw and Dietician on August 14,2012, second appointments on Oct 24 , post op diet class on nov.20 Meet Surgeon January 28/2013 SURGERY - March 13/2013 with Dr. Jules Foute Nelong   

slrm2m2
on 11/11/12 11:51 am - Canada

You need to ask this in the Ontario forum...you'll get tons of replies there.  

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

sam1am
on 11/11/12 12:07 pm

I am really surprised that only 3% of Ontario patients get the VSG.  I think she might need an update on that.  Some surgeons are more willing to cooperate than others.  Fight for what you want and ask for a referral to someone else if your surgeon won't give you a VSG.

Come over to the Ontario board too for more information, that could help.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

larra
on 11/12/12 10:15 am - bay area, CA

I think that nurse's info is out of date. there is also a surgeon in Ontario, Dr. Hong, who is doing the duodenal switch. I think he's in Hamilton, but don't quote me on that. You could continue to use your NSAIDs with the DS, and with RA, chances are, even if you do better on the osteoarthritis with weight loss, you will still have RA and will still need meds for that.

As to the sleeve, I don't know what that stands in Ontario, but as others have said, the people on the Ontario forum will know.

Larra

Most Active