Major Question

crw4bama
on 12/20/12 1:39 pm - Chattanooga , TN
RNY on 06/13/12

Ok I need advice. I had surgery on 6-13-12, I have lost 89 lbs, but want to lose down to 150. My dad and my older son say that  I do not need to lose any more weight. I am down to 193 and can wear from a 6-10 depending on the make of clothes. How do you know when you should stop. I still feel fat but they say that I am not please help!!!!!

qnmimi
on 12/20/12 1:49 pm - Cottage Grove, MN

I'd think a good judge of when you are at goal is when your BMI is  near normal, or have reached a better state of health.  Have a conversation with your doctor to validate a reasonable, attainable goal for your health, and if need be, drag your family members along for the conversation, and/or a family support group for WLS so they can discuss this with other families.  An adjustment is needed for their eyes...they may not have fully acclimated to the new you yet!! 

Mary Catherine
on 12/20/12 3:18 pm

Please don't listen to them. 

Your body will just stop losing when it is ready.  The huge weight loss that occurs in the first six months does not continue.  Five pounds a month or less now is about what to expect.  Many people look too skinny between 18 and 36 months after surgery.  Almost nobody looks too skinny after three years. 

Your body will find its own low point and stay there until it learns to absorb calories again.   The malabsorption does end, you will be able to eat more and your body will fill out again.  The first eighteen months after surgery is a one-time gift.  Don't waste it.  You will never again be able to lose weight so easily.  After the honeymoon period losing even a pound or two is very difficult for me.  I am glad that I went lower than my goal and had a cushion for when regain occurred.  Without a massive effort to stay on a diet and exercise program regain of about 20 pounds occurs.

Use the rest of your honeymoon period to engrain good food and exercise habits.  You will be glad you did.

SandieMc49
on 12/21/12 12:06 am

Absolutely the best advice ever!  Please please, whoever reads White Dove's post - take it to heart!  Take it seriously!  And count on it!

Valerie G.
on 12/20/12 10:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

A size 6-10 at 193 says you must be pretty tall, so I can see their concern, because that's a pretty 'normal' size.  Are you sure your expectations/wishes are realistic for your stature? 

That being said, your body should start slowing down weight loss on its own once it's reaching a good point, provided that you are eating healthy and well-nourished.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

DebsGiz
on 12/21/12 12:53 pm - FL

I don't know how tall you are, but unless you're well over six feet, I'm thinking that at 193 you are not so small that you need to stop losing unless you want to.

With regard to your question about how I knew when to stop losing, my body actually made that decision. 

I reached 129, then bounced up to 136, where is pretty much where I stay. 

octoberbabee
on 12/27/12 10:52 pm - MD

I had RNY in Feb of 2010 and lost 100 lbs in the first 7 months; since then I have lost an additional 63 lbs.  I really wanted to get below 200 and I did make it to 197 for about a few months.  I gained a few back and currently fluctuate between 200-203.  I was really frustrated at first but I was told by my doctor that it is normal for your body to 'self adjust' after a year or so.  Considering where I was, I am thrilled to be where I am and have come to terms that I will probably not be below 200.  I actually wanted to make it down to my high school weight of 165 but, given my age (49), I have given up on that idea.  My friends and family have supported my decision and actually tell me that I should not lose any more. I think you will know when you are comfortable; your body will slow the loss down on its own and if you are happy with yourself at that time, accept it. If not, you can make some changes, but you have to do it for yourself, not anyone else.

Susan Hayes

Most Active