Chinese Food

tbhandari
on 2/7/14 3:23 pm, edited 2/7/14 3:38 pm
VSG on 12/16/13

I know its really  very stupid question but i am 2 months out and wanted to check if having chinese food was ok at this stage (limited quantity though)

SW : 404   CW : 294 GW : 180

frisco
on 2/7/14 3:29 pm

Yup.... I'll agree with you....very stupid question.....

You should be getting 100% eating instructions from your surgoen while your in the "danger zone" not an open online public forum......

Little hint.... you might want to think about staying out of Chinese resturants for a couple years....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

tbhandari
on 2/7/14 3:37 pm, edited 2/8/14 12:17 pm
VSG on 12/16/13

Frisco,

My Surgoen is not supportive since the surgery despite charging a hefty amount so basically i am on my own. The instruction booklet is very vague. Point taken on staying away from Chinese Restaurants though.

(Little typo error I am 2 months out not 2 weeks )

Thx for the info

AnneGG
on 2/8/14 2:47 am

Not Chinese food related though I do lots of stir fries w/ very little oil and no sugar sauces, and am an avid follower of Eggface, AKA Shelly.

Why won't your surgeon follow you? Shouldn't you get another surgeon for follow up if your original guy won't do it? It's very important to have for questions and monitoring and lab work. Don't you have a nutritionist?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

poet_kelly
on 2/7/14 8:57 pm - OH

Why would you need to stay out of Chinese restaurants for a couple of years?  Most Chinese places offer stir fried chicken, seafood, fresh veggies, plenty of healthy options.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

frisco
on 2/7/14 10:50 pm, edited 2/7/14 11:05 pm

Sugars, fats and starches are components  in many Chinese food recipes. And very amped up for "American Chinese Food"

If it's even a little sweet..... it's sugar..... if the sauce is thicker than water..... it's most likely corn starch or flour.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chinese food. The concepts and flavors are great and I love how vegetables are incorporated  with the proteins.

Now, making your own Chinese inspired food is a great idea. Easy, fast, clean and delicious !!!

Here is one of my go to meals that can be made in minutes and is very clean.

frisco

***Note: The OP has edited the original post. It first said he was 2 weeks out which has been corrected.

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/7/14 3:31 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Does your plan indicate at this stage what you can eat? I know lots of folks are still on full liquids at two weeks out. Chinese food is also so varied...so I would think the broth of a wonton or egg drop soup would be ok but maybe not fried rice and spring rolls! Also watch the sodium which is pretty high in most chinese food. Its not great weight loss mode stuff and this early out I would stick to the soups if you absolutely must. Broth part only!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

tbhandari
on 2/7/14 3:39 pm
VSG on 12/16/13

Hi,

I really apologise for the typo. I am 2 months out and on solid foods now (in moderation though). I have tried clear soups from takeouts (mostly bland variety).

Eggface
on 2/7/14 3:48 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

2 months is a little iffy for most Chinese food... Egg drop soup, if you are cleared for lean protein and veggies but I caution you to watch sauces lots of added fats, sugars and veggies are usually undercooked and difficult to digest early on. Maybe make something Chinese-inspired at home. I love these: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-ha ppy-chinese-new-year-menu.html

P.S. There are NO stupid questions. Some maybe better to ask your Dr. or medical team but no stupid Q's ;)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Teri Turner
on 2/7/14 4:18 pm, edited 2/7/14 4:20 pm - WA

I love Chinese, but most of the entrées I like are spicy & sweet.. It would be a bad idea to expect to ignore the rice or noodles, so don't get them.  The breaded deep fat fried meats are totally off the table... & the meat is often too tough to chew to softness. 

But getting just an appropriate entree should give you an extra meal . to take home. 

Panda Express will let you taste things by giving you a piece of the meat. It might satisfy you to just drop in for a piece of broccoli beef and a shrimp w/pecans.  They are SUPPOSED to offer you tastes.  If they don't have soup, they have a side of lovely colorful vegetables. 

I like Panda Express because they have so many beufiful fresh veggies in their entrées... Not just a few token pieces of tired faded stuff.  

I would think (in fact, i had planned, to continue to visit every few months, but I'll focus on the non-fried meats & non-sweet sauces.  I can still get hot pepper seasoned, I hope.  

I also love the bags of frozen Chinese vegetable stir fry mixtures at Walmart,   i prefer to steam them.  And of course, you can use any number of ways to season them.   

The thing you want most is to never eat more than the measured amount of meat & to cut it into small pieces, then chew it very very well.  And eat over a long time to allow yourself (your gut) a chance to tell you that it's satisfied. 

Now, if enchiladas were only that easy! 

Most Active