VSG Surgery Date Scheduled: 4/29/15

brittanyp_vsg
on 4/4/15 4:32 am
VSG on 04/29/15

Surgery is officially scheduled for 4/29! Can't believe that in less than a month my life will be forever changed. I was hoping I could get some info from you pros out there - a couple questions I've got:

What are the crucial things I'll need at the hospital that I may not necessarily think to bring?

What are the best broths for Phase I? Could I do things like Clear Soup, Miso, French Onion? But like with all of the other things strained out to leave only the broth? Just want to make sure...

For laparascopic surgeries, are you able to get your incisions wet? Like will I be able to take a bath or will I need to mainly stick to showers to where they're not getting submerged?

I'm quite nervous, but also very excited! Looking to get some help from you great people!

bruindiva92
on 4/4/15 12:16 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Congratulations!

I had my VSG surgery on Monday, March 30.  I packed according to the list provided here on OH and this is what I used:  

Lip balm is a MUST, and a really good one.  Lips will be dry all the time after surgery

Comfy undies.  Very nice to have.  Bring some old comfortable ones you don't mind getting a little blood on (from incisions).

Comfy bra

Non slip shoes even though hospital provided non-slip socks which I used.

Toiletries

Pillow for car when you leave the hospital.

Can't recommend a broth because my stomach dislikes them all.  I have to return 8 cartons ;-)

As for baths with laparoscopic surgeries, my surgeon said showers only for the first 6-8 weeks.

You will do just fine!

NYMom222
on 4/4/15 12:51 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Congrats on getting a date! I wore comfy clothes in, and I wore the same comfy clothes out. I just wore a doubled up hospital gown while I was there. Between the air bags they had on my legs pulsing to prevent clots and they had an automatic blood pressure machine and I forget what else... there was no point of putting any clothes on. I did bring a small tube of lotion for my skin, my toothbrush, travel size mouthwash, and wipes, so I could clean myself up if I needed some refreshing. I used them all. Cell phone and charger. That was about all I used. For me I didn't worry too much about the broths, I was really only on it in the hospital, and like 2 days at home. As soon as I got home from the hospital I was allowed to add protein drinks. My favorite thing when I am on clear liquid is to get a quart of broth from the Chinese restaurant with nothing in it. Just has that Chinese food taste and is very satisfying to my tastebuds. Needed to take showers ... I thin****il the strips fell off ...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Kathy S.
on 4/4/15 1:57 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Tracy D.
on 4/6/15 1:38 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Brittany - you may want to cross-post this on the VSG surgery-specific forum.  You may get more responses that way.  A lot of those people don't check this board.  

The most crucial thing (and the only thing I ended up needing):  Chapstick! 

I was able to get my incisions wet with a shower but couldn't submerge them until fully healed. 

Best of luck to you! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active