Venting about MySurgeon's Office!!!

Neesie57
on 10/5/15 6:34 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Today is the day that I have had it with my surgeon's office. I'm 9 weeks post op, and should be starting on the next phase of my diet. My husband and I were looking forward to a meeting with the nutritionist today to explain what comes next. We had to rush to the office after a long day out and about. When we got there, I told the receptionist that we were there for our meeting with the NUT. She looked at me like I had 2 heads and told me that the Nutrition class had been moved to Wednesday at 1:30! What? Why didn't we get a call? She said that they had no way of knowing who was coming to the class, so couldn't call anyone. We had a sign in sheet with our names and phone numbers on it! We walked out of there so pissed off. I called as soon as I got to the car, to talk to Michelle, the Nut. Was told that she no longer works there, and that one of the doctors in the office would be teaching the NUT class. At least the woman on the phone apologized to me.

We have had several issues with the office staff, and my frustration level has been growing. It first started with them "losing" my paperwork, when it was supposed to be sent to the insurance for approval. I got the surgery 2 months later than I should have because of it. When my surgery was scheduled, I called them to change the date to a week later, because my high school reunion was coming up and I wanted to wait until after the reunion. I got a call back, and they had actually changed it to a week earlier. I guess the scheduler doesn't know the difference between earlier and later.

We have a notebook that gets added to every time we have an appointment, so it is getting full, and it helps to go through it once in a while. I couldn't find it a few days after one of our nutrition classes, and called the office to see if I left it there. Was told no, that they hadn't found any notebooks. The next time I went into the office, I asked if they would look for it again. It was in a box under the front office person's desk. I asked why they hadn't called me, since my name and phone number were on the front and inside of the book. They had no explanation.

If I hadn't already had my surgery I would change offices and surgeons. Today was the last straw, and I don't know what to do. I really don't know what I can add after 7 weeks of soft foods. When can I add veggies, fruit, beef and pork. I'm so frustrated????

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

mrsfmdj
on 10/5/15 8:58 pm

Omgosh - we must be seeing the same surgeon!

Do you live in California?

Neesie57
on 10/5/15 10:33 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Yes, I have Dr. Pham.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

mrsfmdj
on 10/6/15 10:48 am

Nessie-

I see Dr.H - while I have not yet had my surgery (Oct 19th) I know exactly what you are going thru as very similar things have happened to me. I was told by the office that things were a bit 'messy' with the Nutritionist and she had a tendency not to show up for appts.

I am limited on my choices for surgeons because of my insurance and will have to stay with the office or start the process all over again. Thank goodness for this forum and the support!

I wish you all the best on your weight loss adventure - let's support each other!

sweetpotato1959
on 10/5/15 9:07 pm

Nessie.

There really is no excuse for bad behavior, and a lack of respect, but it exists and there is not much that can be done about it. We are having similar from another Dr, so know the frustration!...but for you, changing surgeons after the fact is not optional.

Do you have a guide as to what to expect after surgery? Follow that guide. Make every effort to follow your guidelines! The surgeon may be the very best, but YOUR results now depend, on your ability to use the wonderful tool he gave you to achieve YOUR goals. They must be yours...not the Dr's.

You need to know when the Labs need to be done to maintain your health, If you can't get it done at surgeons office, speak to your personal MD and get them to obtain the protocols and follow thru. It is imperative you be followed consistently by someone who understands the procedure you had. Your regular Doctor needs a full copy hospital file, and I would suggest you put it on a memory stick and keep a copy,... Just in case questions come up, that you need an answer to...like did He take out your gall bladder, or did he do like mine and install a pre-stoma , for access to old stoma*****ase of emergency..Years down the road you may need these answers and having those answers at hand, may keep you from having unnecessary procedures. You need to make sure your proteins are up to optimal levels, and your calcium, magnesium and Iron levels stay up. See if the hospital where you had surgery, has a nutritionist you can talk to, if you can't get satisfaction thru the Surgeon's clinic.(My levels dropped after a time and as a result, I have lost almost all my teeth, I lost insurance 3 weeks post -op)

Your body is your responsibility and the office is not giving you the support you need, but we are here to encourage you and to help you thru. There are many others here who have had your exact surgery, then there are those like me, who have been thru surgery for weight loss and have had many of the issues you will face.( Hair loss..possible, but can be prevented!)

If you already know this is the week you are to add solid foods, then I would suggest you find a moist cut of meat you wish to try..go very slowly, see how your new stomach/intestines handle it.. I would start with one ounce..., measure it, dice it up small, and chew it well. 20 chews for every 1/2 tsp bite... I love chicken, but still have problems with it, that is usually caused by hidden fat in the peice..for chicken a thigh or peice of moist chicken breast would be where I would start.Those peices have less hidden fat..If you see any fat, PICK it out! If meat is too dry, moisten it with a teaspoon of broth/ to 1/4 cup,.. (my first meat was at 4 weeks and was turkey/ Thanksgiving!, each surgeon has different protocols, I was a week early, but didn't have any additional issues from eating it.)I had sugery 20 yrs ago, a combination procedure they don't do anymore.. Hope this insight is able to help you make our decisions, and get thru a difficult time.

Denise
Neesie57
on 10/5/15 10:44 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Thank you for your advice. I decided that I would start solids without talking to the office staff, so I has a small piece of chicken thigh meat, and a couple of well cooked brussel sprouts. I have been craving veggies, and my stomach did really well with the meal.

My PCP has me scheduled for complete blood work in January. I'm really looking forward to finding out how I'm doing. I have done tons of research, so I think I'm doing everything right. These forums have been the best support group I could ask for. I'm so grateful for all of the advice I've received.

Eggface
on 10/5/15 9:13 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Ugh. Is it possible you make a one on one appointment with a dietitian versed in post WLS diet progression. Sounds like the office is in some umm transition to put it nicely and this is too important... I think I'd just seek out someone I could have a personal appointment with even if I had to self pay (at least once or twice.) Generally 8 weeks is the around the next food transition time but you know programs vary and sometimes changes based on how well you have progresses in the phases so far. I was cleared for pretty much everything as tolerated at 8 weeks, my sis different program had a bunch of restrictions. Wi**** was more cut and dried.

Hope you get it all worked out.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Neesie57
on 10/5/15 10:48 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I went ahead and has some brussel sprout with chicken thigh meat tonight. It was some of the best food I've ever tasted. Thank goodness my husband is such a wonderful cook and has been so supportive of my surgery.

fluffyfrog
on 10/6/15 7:12 am - FL
RNY on 12/15/15

Is your surgeon part of a group practice or private practice? I would take my complaints to the top. CEO/President of the practice. If you have received this poor service, what are other patients receiving. It may be to late for them to correct the wrong that you have indured , but maybe the next patient in line will receive better service.

Neesie57
on 10/6/15 10:30 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I'm going to see another doctor in the practice tomorrow, but I won't see my surgeon until December. I'll call today to see if there is an office manager I can talk to. The doctors are most often not even in charge of the staff.

Most Active