Vitamins and Pills, Oh My!

Heavens2Betsy
on 3/11/16 4:11 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

So, I've never had a problem taking pills.  I've always taken a whole handful at night and more in the AM.  I'm following my drs. instructions very carefully, and from DAY 1 after surgery - he's got me taking my pills - including vitamins, calcium, prescriptions, everything and I've had zero problems doing so.  Is this weird?  I'm getting everything in with no problems, really.  Does it get more difficult later when after the cut nerves heal?  I was all worried about this being a huge deal, but the biggest problem has been getting enough swallows of water in to wash 'em down - I have about a 3 swallow max of liquids right now, so I'm not swallowing several large pills together at the same time, but still...  This does not make sense to me, but the doc is not worried at all.  And yet, I was worried that when I pureed some black beans, maybe one or two weren't quite pureed enough.

Any thoughts?  Maybe I should just smile and be happy!  ...now there's a thought!  

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

karenp8
on 3/11/16 4:20 pm - Brighton, IL

Just smile and be happy! Most people have no problems taking pills. I know I didnt and swallowed them as soon as I came home from the hospital. You are doing great!

rocky513
on 3/11/16 7:26 pm - WI

I was swallowing whole pills in the hospital right after surgery.  I've never had any issues.  The surgeon told me to swallow one at a time and not take the whole handful.  At 5 years out, I can easily swallow 3 at a time.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/16 7:46 pm - CA

Truthfully, everyone is different.    From the day I was d/c from the hospital, swallowing pills was an issue for me because with the amount of water I had to swallow to get them down, I was full just from taking my vitamins.   Obviously, I learned to space my pills out and not right before I ate or I wouldn't be able to.   Over the years it has become easier, but I still drink enough to get my pills down and I never attempt to eat right after doing so, habit.   I now use the patches for my vitamins and love them.  I wish they were around back in 2001.   As for other meds, there has been a time or two that larger pills or pills that are drier have gotten caught in my throat its not from the surgery though.  I would definitely smile and be happy, but also be aware if things change at any point and what you need to adapt.   Everyone is different.       

peachpie
on 3/12/16 2:48 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I crushed my BP/thyroid pills right after surgery for a few weeks- Dr's orders. I used chewable vitamins and had a liquid anti ulcer med. After 4 weeks I swallowed the BP/thyroid meds (tiny pills). Kept on chewable vitamins for a few months. I tired transitioning to pill form in after 4 months but choked horribly- so went back to chewable. I can finally swallow all forms/sizes of pills, but Is till have to concentrate when I do.

I say smile and be happy.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Grim_Traveller
on 3/12/16 5:24 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Smile and be happy. Most people have no problems. You're just used to reading about those that do.

The hard part with vitamins and supplements is not swallowing them. It's taking them 4 times a day, day after day, year after year. Everything can get dull after a while. But we'll need to do it anyway.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/12/16 6:09 am

Things may change or they may not. 

I can take most pills, but I had large calcium and multi stuck enough time that now I can't take them...but mid size pills, or capsules - I really don't have a problem. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MassHockey
on 3/14/16 3:24 am

I've never had a problem with it.  Although I have now started writing down what to take and when.....I can never remember if I toik the multi or the calcium first thing in the morning....getting old!!

seperating the iron from the calcium has been a pain in the ass but thats a pretty small concern.

Most Active