Low Blood Sugar (LBS)

Willie H.
on 6/16/16 10:50 am
VSG on 08/26/14

It's no joke! I guess many develop this after a lot of weight lost. My father was diabetic and had high blood sugar, I have non-diabetic low blood sugar. (hypoglycemic) At least it teaches you how to eat because if you eat the wrong food you will pay for it hours later with the jitters, sweating, weakness and a crash!

Yesterday I just had to have Hagen Daas. Ate a 1/2 pint and felt guilty and somewhat sick right away but later after I crashed I was so disoriented and confused I could not even put the code  on the security alarms at my job or even get into my phone! Eventually I drank some water , ate a glucose tab and a few pretzels and I returned to normal   

Before I play golf I always carry glucose tabs with me but also I am just learning to eat something light every two hours or so and to stay away from simple high carbs. But have low blood sugar is no joke and can happen so suddenly, if I overheat, or do things too fast. I also noticed that coffee in the morning before eating can affect my blood sugar, have to switch to decaf and make sure I eat something first and then drink water. Has any one else have trouble with LBS and if so how do you handle it?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Kathy S.
on 6/16/16 11:00 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hey Willie,

It's great to see you again but hate to hear what you are going through. Sadly, I know what you are talking about.

My worst story is I was shopping at the grocery store, I vaguely remember thinking I feel strange and the next thing I know I was sitting in the floor in the baking isle eating chocolate chips out of a bag.  I have since learned simple "white" carbs are the worst for me. The symptoms are clear to me now. I feel shaky, lightheaded, hot, sweaty.  I have taken my blood sugar when feeling this way and the lowest was 32.  You are wise to carry tabs, I make sure I have some hard candy wherever I go.

Take care of yourself 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Grim_Traveller
on 6/16/16 11:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Staying away from simple high carbs is tge only way to do it. Sticking with high protein with some fats keeps me out of trouble.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Ashley in Belgium
on 6/16/16 12:23 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I have found that when I am in a crash, drinking water and then eating peanuts (salt, protein and fat) helps bring me back from that horrible place.  But when it happens to me I am completely wiped out.  I am toast for the rest of the day.

I don't eat simple carbs - i haven't had any since surgery in 2013.  But Quest protein bars and eating roasted chick peas have sent me spiralling as well as going too far between meals.  I eat some kind of protein every 3- 4 hours at least 6 times a day.  That seems to keep in in line.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

April Parker
on 6/16/16 2:34 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

I suffer from it even now as a normie. My surgery is Monday and I am worried that during the day before surgery (clear liquids only/bowel prep/nothing after midnight) my sugar will drop. My surgery isnt until 2 pm. But I am hoping it wont be a problem.

My mom suffers from juvenile type 1 diabetes. Lots of my other family has type 2 diabetes. Ive seen it over and over and what happens if your sugar plummets/rises to the extreme is not pretty.

Protein keeps bs levels steady. Lots of people will run to sugar or carbs (or anything they can find) to hurry and bring it up, but thats not wise as it could later on drop back down. Its best to avoid the scenario where you have to eat thise things. Protein will keep it level. Just keep some protein snacks with you like meat and cheese stick or peanuts. :) Snack on them between meals and you should be fine.

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

The Salty Hag
on 6/16/16 8:48 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Have you asked your surgeon what you can do if it drops? I wonder if drinking Isopure or another clear liquid protein would help, if it's allowed the day before? 

Hope all goes well! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

April Parker
on 6/17/16 7:40 am - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

I havent but I plan on calling his office today to ask what I can do if it drops. :)

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/16 8:25 am

The last time I " dumped " which is what the Haagen Dazs episode sounds like was on a  few sips of a Watermelon-Rita ( apparently full of sugar) I thought I was gonna DIE ... then suddenly was alright after cramping, the foamies dry heaves for like ten minutes ... ugh!

You would think I would know better by now ...

I too was ( barely) diabetic pre op .. no meds since thank God and perfectly normal blood sugar .  For me what works is complex carbs ( brown rice and peas .. lots of fat free milk in my tea , some lowfat protein like tofu or chicken breast in my soup .  I just ate an egg salad sandwich made out of two whole hardboiled eggs but I used fat free mayonnaise I now have to order off the internet because t hat amount of fat with even lite mayonnaise would have made me dump.

I find I can eat Ben and Jerrys or Haagen dazs  FROZEN YOGURT ( 3 grms of fat per serving ) but not their ice creams or gelatos which have over 10 grams of fat per serving as well as sugar .  I don't eatthem often though because they are slider foods and therefor weight-gainers .

If I want to have high blood sugar all day ( because I'm working on a project and need to think... rice and beans is my go to )again ,, very low or no fat .

hugs

Willie H.
on 6/17/16 11:03 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thanks all. Glad to know it is not just me. This surgery really teaches us a lot about ourselves and what we were doing to our bodies, destroying it by food-sugars. salts, fats, inactivity, etc. Wow, what an eye-opener! Before I would of eaten 1/2 a gallon of ice cream and of course it appeared that it did not affect me, at least "physically", other than weight gain, but now I know the damage it must have been doing to my body internally-meal after meal, snack after snack-blood sugar rising and falling!

This journey is certainly enlightening and I can see FAR from over! The knowledge, discernment and resulting wisdom from the pits, curves, falls, relapses and/or discipline, self-control from those who have been at this more than a few years are certainly to be admired, so I'll keep trudging forward! Eventually I'll get it, or I'll be back to an unhealthy, life-threatening 350 lb guy! Again, thanks.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Most Active