Food Not Enjoyable

Tdheason
on 8/4/16 11:20 am
RNY on 06/27/16

Ok, I'm almost 6 weeks out of RYN surgery.  I can eat 1/4 cup of protein about 3 times a day.  I know I want to lose weight and this surgery has curved my hunger, which is a great thing; however, I at least want to enjoy what I do have to eat and nothing is enjoyable.  Is this the norm?

Ginnny
on 8/4/16 11:22 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

What are you eating?

Tdheason
on 8/4/16 11:55 am
RNY on 06/27/16

I eat beef stew with juice, no veggies in it, baked chick peas, fried egg with cheese on it, refried beans, Tysons chicken breast strips in a bag, dry cheerios, water and milk.  This is about it.

Ginnny
on 8/4/16 12:20 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

What about cooking your own chicken/turkey/fish and adding some spices....give it a little more flavor?  I like taco beef with a little sour cream/cheese/salsa on it....

Do you use protein shakes to get your protein numbers up? 

Things will get better (or worse depending on how you look at it)....your tastes will change, take advantage of this while you can....

Tdheason
on 8/4/16 12:22 pm
RNY on 06/27/16

taco beef does sound good.  I'll give that a try.  Can you eat peperoni at this stage?

Ginnny
on 8/5/16 4:23 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Hi, there isn't a food that I haven't been able to tolerate (4 mos out).  If you try it just remember to chew the heck out of it, and then chew it some more!

pammieanne
on 8/4/16 1:06 pm, edited 8/4/16 6:06 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

So eggface has a riccotta bake recipe on her website that is really good that you can definitely eat... and you can get a little creative with it and put some meats on top too if you can handle them...

Shrimp (stir fry it or boil it), fish (bake it or grill it with good yummy seasoning on it), crabcakes (you make them with little/no breading to keep the carbs down... homemade meatballs (turkey or beef)... chili... hummus is good if you like it... hard boiled eggs, egg salad, deviled eggs, cheese, even melt it and let it harden as a snack, pulled pork - watch the BBQ sauce or get a low sugar one. deli meat wrapped around a cheesestick (sometimes I throw that in a pan and heat it up, yum!)... 

I don't know what level your doctor has you on at 5.5 weeks, but judging from what you are eating now, most or all of that should work for you :)

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Ereiam
on 8/4/16 11:43 am
RNY on 05/16/16

My appetite comes and goes. At about six weeks I was clear to try anything (within reason of course) and I didn't want anything. Then I'll have days where I am so fricking  hungry and feel like my food issues are all back. So now I'm grateful for the small pouch days and work hard on the big pouch days

SW: 270 CW: 181.4 GW: 165

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/4/16 11:50 am

you are lucky one.  Enjoy that as long as it lasts. 

in the future - you may dream wto feel like that...

I am 8 years post op and I welcome days or weeks like that. 

food can be a nourishment, just that.  I think some of us become MO because we enjoyed food too much. Now you can know why some "skinny *****" say - "no, thank you" to a cake or food....and she means it.  I was always envious of that. Not any more...    

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

stacyrg
on 8/4/16 1:37 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

There are so many options.  The ricotta bake is great, particularly if you like italian food.  I make ground turkey with pesto, spinach and some shredded cheese (of course this depends on what's allowed on your plan.  I'm 4 weeks out from revision to RNY and can have ground meats and soft cooked veggies).  In order to provide suggestions, what type of food do you enjoy?  You can modify most everything to fit into your current lifestyle.  How about chili with some cheese?  Like I posted in your other thread, check out the daily RNY menu post.  There are great ideas of what you can eat at every stage post op.

And if I can make a comment without sounding too harsh; you should try and work on the whole idea of eating for pleasure or enjoyment. My post op mentality is eating is to fuel your body.  Should you be able to like the taste of what you're eating?  Sure.  Eat flavorful food?  Absolutely and I do every day.  But I would try and steer clear of the notion of eating for pleasure, because for me, those days are over.

Most Active