Goal Rewards

HLChan
on 11/1/16 5:42 pm - Sandy Springs, GA

I have learned over the years that if I have a reward for goals I am less likely to get discouraged.  The problem over the years has been that I would reward myself with a "cheat day" or some super unhealthy comfort food.  I have to stop doing that. Totally counter productive and once I have the surgery it can be terribly painful from what I understand.  I love LUSH bath products...so I am going to start setting up a goal schedule for their products.  I do want to have bigger goals for significant goals like 50lb marks.  Other than purses or shoes I'm not sure what to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm not working with a huge budget (like a lot of people).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Heather the Newb!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/1/16 6:15 pm

A book, a new scarf for winter, a pedicure, a new lipstick (if you wear it), a fitness tracker, etc.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Grim_Traveller
on 11/1/16 7:47 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I was always told that every 100 pounds is a hooker.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/1/16 8:12 pm

Go to Goodwill or another good thrift store- and buy some "tight" clothing that you know you will have to donate in a few months because they will be too loose. Really when you are losing lots of weight rapidly...it's really hard to buy new clothing (Although Khols has good clearance).

Charm bracelet? 1 charm for every mile stone? It will be a constant reminder of what you accomplished.

I didn't do anything to celebrate milestones. I celebrated every lb. lol
The Salty Hag
on 11/1/16 8:15 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Purses were my go-to reward, but eventually I started rewarding myself wayyyy too often. "Hey! I survived the drive home! I deserve a purse for that!" 

I like the idea of a mani/pedi, a new book, or something to add to whatever hobby you may have ( like art supplies or yarn, etc. ) are all great ideas too.

I've kept a journal since I was 16, and I keep up with it. It definitely helps with the emotional aspect of life post surgery. I bought myself a nice new notebook and some fancy pens to use. I love cracking open my journal, settling down with some coffee, and getting out my bat-**** crazy in pretty colors of ink. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

karenp8
on 11/2/16 5:42 am - Brighton, IL

And here I thought I was the only one that had to let the bat shot crazy out of her head. I'm not alone!

Ashley in Belgium
on 11/2/16 12:29 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

You've been given some good ideas here already so I'll add that sometimes I just needed to allow myself to celebrate my personal victories by simply acknowledging them.  Not letting them be swept under the carpet as insignificant.

I gave myself permission to talk about them, write them down, have them photographed, etc.  I shopped, spoiled and induldged myself when that was what I needed too :)

Also I suggest you make a list of things you'd like to do or say yes to that right now you won't/can't or would automatically say No to if asked. Some of my greatest NSV and the reward I gave myself for them was just saying YES instead of NO. 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

BETH6536
on 11/2/16 2:09 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 04/19/17

Pedicures, facials, new hairstyle to go with that new body... I like to get new work out clothes and tennis shoes. I love audio books and just going to the used book store and roaming around ... don't need big money for big reward!

RNY surgery date 4-19-17

HW: 280 Surgery Weight: 262 CW: 165

(M1) 23 (M2) 8 (M3) 11 (M4) 9 (M5) 7 (M6) 9

mute
on 11/2/16 5:18 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Ditto to every single one of these!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/2/16 3:15 am

Good massage or even a chiropractor visit.  Find a reasonable one. (i get adjusted for $20 or $30) As our body is changing - it adjusts so you may experiance aches and pains. As I was losing fat my bones aligned - so I experienced back pain sholder pains.. 

Any other treatments like facial, hair cut or Even pedicures.

But..there is also "retail therapy". I would have a budget of $20- $50 to spend in thrift stores for every mile stone.  That way I had good fitting clothes as my body was changing.  

Also buying a cute - nice one size smaller dress or a shirt was a great motivation to keep working hard..

Just don't buy  too many clothes - during rapid weight loss (first 6 months) we change sizes so rapidly that 4-5 outfits was enough for me. I just did laudry more often.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active