I'm New, Nervous and Excited!

AmandaB9780
on 1/16/17 8:36 am, edited 1/16/17 10:19 am
RNY on 03/07/17

My name is Amanda, I'm 36 and am preparing to have RNY sometime within the next few months. I started this journey last March with a doctor's appointment to find out if I was a candidate and what my options were. The only thing that makes me a candidate is my BMI, other than that, I'm the healthiest fat girl you'll meet. I love working out and being active, but my body starting having issues with that about 2-3 years ago when I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and Osteoarthritis (lower spine & tailbone). I just had my last appointment this past Friday and am now waiting for a surgery date.

I'm so nervous and excited - it seems too good to be true that I will soon be on my way back to the old me - the healthy me. I've been overweight for close to 10 years now, but before that I was very petite and active. Even though there were some contributing factors that were beyond my control, I won't say that I'm not to blame for being where I'm at - I know I am. I am in control from here on out though!

So hello to everyone and if anyone has any words of wisdom or guidance, I'm all for it! 

Eggface
on 1/16/17 8:42 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Welcome (it's a great group of people on OH, and support is super important)  I had weight loss surgery (RNY as well) at 35 it was the best decision I ever made. I hope you will feel the same way! 

Best wishes to you! ~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 8:53 am - CA

Welcome, Amanda!   I had RNY back in 2001 and while I have had some regain, I still consider this the best decision I ever made.   You will find some great info here at OH as well as wonderful support.  There is a RNY Forum that you can hop over to whenever you want to interact with other members who have had RNY, but feel free to participate on any forum.     

Wishing you all the best on your new journey!

Nik 

rachelp
on 1/16/17 9:12 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Welcome and congrats on your decision to have WLS surgery. Just stick around on the boards and you will gain lots of wisdom and guidance. Check out the Daily menu thread in the RNY forum. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

AMAZEBALLS
on 1/16/17 10:55 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

Welcome! I wish you lots of success with your weight loss journey.

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

pammieanne
on 1/16/17 11:15 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Another vote for checking out our daily menu post over on the RNY board. We all use it for support and accountability... and I won't lie, some of the menus I read inspire me and I totally steal the ideas!

You are about to embark on a great ride! While it's a lot of fun, watching the scale soar downwards, it's also a huge mind game, and having the support of everyone here makes it so much easier! One thing you will always have to remember is that the doc can't do surgery on your brain, and sometimes that damn brain makes it really hard to keep on track! Which is why I find this place a Godsend for me...

I'm 51, and had surgery 8 months ago (today!)... I wouldn't change a thing about having the surgery!

Welcome aboard! Check in daily, and  ask questions! The VETS here are a great help!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

karenp8
on 1/16/17 12:48 pm - Brighton, IL

I'm proud of you for taking control of your health and your weight at such a young age. Sadly I waited till I was 52 before I had surgery after a lifetime of being obese or overweight. I had diabetes,high cholesterol and triglycerides and uncontrolled high blood pressure on three pills 41/2 years ago when I had my RNY. I weighed 272 and wore a tight size 28 pants. After 9 months I was down to 117 Ishmael and have been there ever since. I'm off all meds except vitamins,rheumatoid arthritis meds and 1 low dose blood pressure pill and all my blood work is perfect.  I now wear a size 0 or 1 pants and live an active life that I love. RNY was my best decision ever. I still weigh every day,measure and track my food and post on the menu thread on the RNY forum nearly every day--at least when I'm not Traveling! Welcome and get ready for an amazing journey! 

AmandaB9780
on 1/17/17 9:36 am
RNY on 03/07/17

I'm so glad to hear that it worked out so well for you! I appreciate your kind words about my timing. I actually thought I waited too long. After being diagnosed with OA in late 2014 and learning that it would only get worse, it felt like a death sentence and I feel into a depression. Luckily, I'm stubborn. I was determined that there was SOMETHING that I could do.

It wasn't until I went to orientation for a weight-loss program through my local hospital that I even seriously thought about surgery. I called my insurance to find out if they covered the program and found out that they only thing they covered was gastric bypass. I mulled over it for a few weeks and casually mentioned it to my husband. I don't think he took me seriously what so ever. lol. Talking to him about it was odd because I know his heart and I know he cares, but he just didn't seem like he was on-board with it. He was perfectly happy with me the way that I was - he apparently takes that whole "for better or for worse" thing pretty seriously. ;-) It wasn't until he went to that first appointment with me and learned about all the things that having surgery would/could help - OA, AR, back pain, possibly my PsA and psoriasis, etc. Hearing that pulled him on board 100%. I guess those things are what I should think about when I get nervous - the relief I'll have. 

The thought of being a 0 again, it just seems like a dream. Heck, I'd be happy to just be a 6 again. I'm getting really excited about the active part! I keep looking at hiking boots and kayaks and tents - I want to enjoy life to the fullest!

wags1231
on 1/16/17 1:10 pm - Springfield, IL

Hi Amanda! I joined OH last week and am also pre-op. I'm a little further out than you, but would love to follow you during your journey! Welcome!

AmandaB9780
on 1/17/17 9:22 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Absolutely! Where are you in the process? 

Most Active