Under-desk stationary bike

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/25/17 11:00 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Does anyone use a mini exercise bike at their desk or on the sofa? Not a full bike, but one that just has pedals like this one.

I've been a bit fidgety lately (side effect of some new psych meds) and I was thinking it could be a useful way to burn off some energy. I've also decided to do a bike ride across Iowa this summer-- about 200 miles in 4 days-- and any extra training would certainly be helpful.

The Amazon reviews for this seem largely positive, but any personal experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 1/25/17 11:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't have one, since I don't have a desk, but many of my friends do and really like them!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sai F.
on 1/25/17 11:29 am
VSG on 09/02/16

I use the desk cycle when I'm working. I love it.

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Lipsticklady
on 1/25/17 12:19 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

I am always fidgety.  When I worked at a desk, I used one of those as well as a yoga ball as a chair.  (Rotated -- would have ended up on the floor if I tried to cycle on the ball.)

I liked it, but I can't really speak on calorie burn.  It helped with nervous energy, for sure.  

Have you tried a yoga ball?  That I LOVED.  My boss wasn't amused at first, but he got used to my bouncing around.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/25/17 12:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

My sense of balance and coordination is pretty much non-existent, I'd probably hurt myself on a yoga ball! Two coworkers use them as desk chairs and love them, but I imagine I'd end up breaking my neck :-p

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Lipsticklady
on 1/25/17 12:37 pm, edited 1/25/17 4:37 am
VSG on 05/14/13

I had brain surgery about 6 years ago and lost ALL sense of balance.  I used one of these because they took out the tumor, my filter (what little I possessed), my patience (even less of that), and whatever coordination existed in my big fat booty.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

Dee R.
on 1/25/17 12:57 pm - CA

That's the one I want!!  I have the under desk bike.  I like that.  Plus I have the stand up desk and use that part of the day.  But, I really want the balance ball too!!

theAntiChick
on 1/25/17 5:21 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I have wanted one of those chairs for my home office.  Never met anyone who had actually used one.  :)  Does it still make you do the micro movements to maintain balance even though the ball can't roll away when it's on that frame?

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Lipsticklady
on 1/25/17 5:36 pm
VSG on 05/14/13
On January 26, 2017 at 1:21 AM Pacific Time, theAntiChick wrote:

I have wanted one of those chairs for my home office.  Never met anyone who had actually used one.  :)  Does it still make you do the micro movements to maintain balance even though the ball can't roll away when it's on that frame?

I used it to regain my balance but yes, shifting is still necessary. It's slight.  I bounced on mine.  Settled the restless legs, but incurred a lot of middle school humor.  

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/25/17 4:29 pm

Me, too. I had to use one of these and damn near broke my neck.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active