5 year data on WLS or medical treatment for type 2 diabetes

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/17 12:31 pm

BLUF: Surgery produced much better outcomes than medical treatment alone.

Study abstract:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1600869

Popular article (easier read)

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2017/03/should-we-be-treating-t ype-2-diabetes.html

Kathy S.
on 3/1/17 12:34 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi computercat,

Thank you for sharing!  When you do links you can hyperlink them so when someone clicks on them it will take you straight to the article.  Here is a screen shot on how to do so.  Click the hyperlink icon, paste the link and click OK.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Rachel B.
on 3/1/17 1:38 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

The popular article is some mighty fine info!  I agree with the writer whole heartedly.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/17 5:23 am

Weight loss surgery is a great diabetes fix but those considering it should know that it can come roaring back worse .

My ex husband was a diabetic had it temporarily resolved with a distal RNY like 12 years ago . But he had fat and sugar cravings also smoked .. and other than eating less didn't change his carby sugary snacking habits or lack of excercise.

After two years he not only had to restart injecting insulin he now has to take a booster due to serious insulin resistance.

Fredbear
on 3/4/17 8:22 am
VSG on 11/29/16
On March 4, 2017 at 1:23 PM Pacific Time, quutgrrl wrote:

Weight loss surgery is a great diabetes fix but those considering it should know that it can come roaring back worse .

My ex husband was a diabetic had it temporarily resolved with a distal RNY like 12 years ago . But he had fat and sugar cravings also smoked .. and other than eating less didn't change his carby sugary snacking habits or lack of excercise.

After two years he not only had to restart injecting insulin he now has to take a booster due to serious insulin resistance.

"...it can come roaring back worse."

Technically, it didn't come "roaring back," it was only temporarily paused by the surgical effect while your husband refused to actually change. It was only temporarily suppressed because he didn't (change).

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/21 1:20 am

Thank you so much for this info here! I am looking for all the Diabetes-related info, and this is really helpful

Most Active