What protein snacks do you keep in the car/on the go?

Sabrina J.
on 4/16/17 1:05 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

I want to be prepared and would love your advise on protein snacks on the go. I was reading here about protein bars but they are a little older posts, some from 2015 and earlier (might be newer bars/flavors since then). Anyone have some favorite protein snacks, protein bars, quest, think thin, flavors you recommend? Thank you - I can not tell you how grateful I am for your advise!!

Fredbear
on 4/16/17 2:01 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

None, I plan my day ahead of time and pack accordingly. Since I don't feel any hunger at all, my mealtimes are strictly by the clock. If, for whatever reason, I was out and about and needed to eat something, I'd stop at a gas station and get some beef jerky.

My bariatric center's plan is very big on "mindful eating," that is, eating for a purpose and with presence of mind. Eating in the car is "mindless eating," and that's strictly verboten for me.

I've put together the following rules for myself that keep me very well on track:

• Schedule your meals and snacks each day AND follow that schedule (no "oh, my alarm went off, I'll eat after I finish this project/spreadsheet/show," you EAT NOW when the alarm goes off).
  • No eating standing up.
  • No eating from a bag; all meals should be on a plate or from a portioned container.
  • No eating in the car.
  • No eating while watching TV .
  • No eating while using the computer/tablet/phone.
  • No finger food.
  • Log everything.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Erin T.
on 4/16/17 3:39 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I think this works for some and not others. I work a full time job, own a business, have two children, take classes in a degree program and work out with a trainer. These rules would make my life hell. I often times eat my dinner while the kids are at Taekwondo or other activities. Sometimes on the way there or back. If I scheduled everything always, how would my life ever be spontaneous? I didn't have this surgery so I could adhere to a rigorous schedule for the rest of my life. I'm glad you have found it to work for you.

The only things I agree with here are the parts about portioning and logging everything. If dinner is going to be jerky or deli roll ups, then I portion it and put it in a container for on the go, etc.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Fredbear
on 4/16/17 8:19 pm
VSG on 11/29/16
On April 16, 2017 at 10:39 PM Pacific Time, Erin T. wrote:

I think this works for some and not others. I work a full time job, own a business, have two children, take classes in a degree program and work out with a trainer. These rules would make my life hell. I often times eat my dinner while the kids are at Taekwondo or other activities. Sometimes on the way there or back. If I scheduled everything always, how would my life ever be spontaneous? I didn't have this surgery so I could adhere to a rigorous schedule for the rest of my life. I'm glad you have found it to work for you.

The only things I agree with here are the parts about portioning and logging everything. If dinner is going to be jerky or deli roll ups, then I portion it and put it in a container for on the go, etc.

Yeah, that's why I specifically said that these work "for me".

Fredbear
on 4/16/17 2:03 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

Oh, and protein bars are generally very poor choices... they are nothing but candy bars with added protein. I cannot recommend them at all.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/17/17 6:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Looking at food as good or bad can put us in a bad spot further on down the line. Food choices are a range. A good quality protein bar is a long way, nutritionally, from a candy bar. They are just much better. And a nice piece of chicken is a lot better than a good protein bar. A range.

There are times we need to make our choices perfect, and other times where just good is good enough. Having protein bars in my vehicle is great for me. It's much, much better than a candy bar, and better than a quarter pounder with cheese.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

califsleevin
on 4/16/17 2:19 pm - CA

The Quest bars are good for that use, as they don't have any layering or icing/coatings on them they are heat tolerant so work well for keeping in the car or gym bag. You can keep some jerky around as well if you are into that.

There is some silliness around about how protein bars are just overglorified candy bars, which is much the same as saying that the protein drinks are nothing more than an overglorified milk shake. Neither are ideal in the long run if real food alternatives are available. But if one treats them as a convenience food which we should should try to minimize to the extent that we can, as a convenience food, they aren't bad at all.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

ChristineB
on 4/16/17 3:14 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On April 16, 2017 at 9:19 PM Pacific Time, califsleevin wrote:

The Quest bars are good for that use, as they don't have any layering or icing/coatings on them they are heat tolerant so work well for keeping in the car or gym bag. You can keep some jerky around as well if you are into that.

There is some silliness around about how protein bars are just overglorified candy bars, which is much the same as saying that the protein drinks are nothing more than an overglorified milk shake. Neither are ideal in the long run if real food alternatives are available. But if one treats them as a convenience food which we should should try to minimize to the extent that we can, as a convenience food, they aren't bad at all.

I feel for one that protein bars are nothing more than glorified candy bars. They are loaded with too many calories and do not stay with you for fullness. The food product does not stay with a person like a dense protein first meal with other good veggies or carbs to go with it. I stay fuller longer with a planned meal than I do with a bar or drink (a drink goes straight out of me like a liquid through a funnel into my bladder).

One really needs to think out their meals and snacks - it is called a life style change. My DH and I have been making sure our meals and snacks are nutrition valued for the last 14 years (both had RNY) to make sure we get the nutrition that we need. I have always had nutritious foods in the house for snacks and meals plus I still worked up until last August 13th, yes Friday the 13th.

In the fact that summer is on most of the northern hemisphere - protein bars will start to melt in a hot car plus protein drinks do not taste all that great if left in a hot car . . .

One needs to start planning their meals ahead as it is called a life style change.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Cathy H.
on 4/16/17 6:04 pm, edited 4/16/17 11:06 am
VSG on 10/31/16

One should also realize that what works for one might not be right for another, and that what one considers the right "lifestyle change" for them, might be an impractical lifestyle for someone else.

If one chooses to use protein bars that is their prerogative. I sincerely doubt anyone is advocating them for regular use as meal replacements. However, just because one finds they are not filling or do not fit their plan, does not mean that another might not find them just the opposite.

I am happy that your lifestyle plan works for you, but one should be less condescending about others' choices.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Gwen M.
on 4/16/17 6:42 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Seriously. Even though liquids aren't supposed to be filling, I still feel full for hours after my daily breakfast shake. And sometimes I get through half a Quest bar for a meal and stop because I know I'm full.

I was also thinking that there might be some confusion about what "snack" means? For instance, I know there are many surgeons who have plans that say something like "3 meals and 2 snacks." I interpret this as "5 meals." Since I consider a "snack" to be something to be avoided. However, some people consider snacks to be fine because they think of a snack as just a smaller meal, or a meal that's more than the number 3, and their surgeon's plan uses the word.

So someone might ask for "snack" ideas because their plan calls for snacks, while someone else's plan, like mine, says NO SNACKS. And I think the difference is that in case #1 a snack = smaller/extra meal, but in case #2 a snack = something unhealthy and mindless.

I.e., it's probably useful to understand what the individual in question means by the word "snack" before judging.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active