Getting Back on Track

Melly_Belly
on 10/18/17 9:25 am - WI

It's been FOREVER since I've been here, but this morning when I stepped on the scale I finally realized that I need to GET BACK ON TRACK!!! (yelling at myself)

I had RNY 5.5 years ago and got down to a low of 153.8 - in the last 2 years, my weight has creeped back up to 173.8 :( I have been fortunate that my clothes still fit (size 8), but at the same time, think this has stopped me from taking action sooner. "Hey, clothes still fit, why not have ANOTHER slice of that ooey-gooey pizza?" UGH!

Just looking for advice and support and hoping to provide advice and support for others like me who have slipped back into bad behaviors (sugar, carbs...lots of carbs!, soda, fried foods, fast food, etc.).

Today is a new day - I logged my entire day on MyFitnessPal, been guzzling the H2O and am in the process of making a grocery list of high protein, low carb foods (any suggestions are greatly appreciated). I know not all is lost and it's just a matter of making the necessary changes...I am not a stupid person, so why have I allowed myself to make stupid choices?!

Honestly, I think I tried to live like a "normal" person for far too long. Many of my current friends (and my husband), didn't know me before my surgery. Some of them know I had it, others don't. So trying to keep up with the Jones's and eat/drink like they do...not a good idea.

Anyway, I've rambled far too long. Hoping there's others out there in the same boat who would like to get back on this journey together. I'm shooting for 150-155, so 20 lbs by the end of the calendar year is my goal.

...here goes nothing...

Surgery Date: May 23, 2011

HW: 307.9 SW: 299.5 CW: 181.8 GW: 155

peachpie
on 10/18/17 9:32 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Sounds like you know what you needs to do eating wise. How is your alcohol consumption? What about exercise?

This statement is so true: "Honestly, I think I tried to live like a "normal" person for far too long. Many of my current friends (and my husband), didn't know me before my surgery. Some of them know I had it, others don't. So trying to keep up with the Jones's and eat/drink like they do...not a good idea.". I realize, no mater how I look, I'll never think like a normal person.. My relationship with food is not normal, and it won't ever be. I can totally see being tripped up in 'keeping up with the Jones'.

20# by the end of the year is a really aggressive goal. I've given myself two months to lose 6...

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Melly_Belly
on 10/18/17 9:39 am - WI

Alcohol consumption is not really an issue. I am typically the designated driver, so if I have one or two early on in the evening, I'm done for the rest of the night. Try to stick to lower carb/calorie drinks anyway and not a weekday drinker, so that's not too much an issue.

Exercise is good - 3-5 times a week (well, it's been more like 2-3 lately, but been stepping it up more recently and will continue to do so). I always try and take the stairs, get up from my desk and walk, etc. so again, that's pretty good.

It's the eating! Grazing, snacking...whatever you want to call it...I'm doing it. And all the 'bad' stuff too! UGH

I agree 20 lbs by the end of the year is aggressive, but I'm the type of person that I need to make a goal tough or I'll slack. And I won't be discouraged if I don't hit it...just more of a motivator for me.

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/17 9:40 am

Here goes everything. You can do this. Buy a pair of reality pants. Jeans with no stretch in them. Clothing can be such pain when it stretches and we lie to ourselves.

You know what you need to do. Getting support is a great thing. Someone else out there is going through the same thing you are. Giving support does help us when we help others.

No one really understands what it is like to lose the weight and keep it off.

I have friends who say you need to treat yourself. Well that can fall back into old habits.

I am dealing with regain. I do not consider myself a weight loss failure. The head part is the hardest.

Getting weight off after the first year can happen. It also comes off a lot slower. After surgery it is like magic.

We all worked hard to even just make the decision to have WLS.

SkinnyScientist
on 10/18/17 10:20 pm

"I have friends who say you need to treat yourself.Well that can fall back into old habits."

-I so agree! I don't treat myself. I can gain weight if I let up even a BIT on the exercise, slightly increase my carb intake, or eat too much. "Normal" people don't get it.

If I want to "treat" myself, it is non-food rewards such as 1) getting my eyebrows waxed, 2) doing or having my nails done (depends on finances), 3) going on a hike, 4) soaking my feet and tea drinking, 5) painting, 6) going to the korean spa and 7) buying something fashionable.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/17 6:40 am

I do have things I shouldn't sometimes. But only if they are planned. I have a friend who I see maybe once a year. And I always know that day or at least one meal I will eat what they have.

But that is pretty much it. I have to plan it or it can be balls against the wall food fest.

Jester
on 10/19/17 8:28 am
RNY on 03/21/16

"reality pants" - HAHA. That's awesome.

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/17 11:20 am

Sad but true. I try to wear them to any event where there is a **** ton of food.

Kathy S.
on 10/18/17 10:15 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Melly_Belly Welcome Back

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. I maintained 118-125 for over 10 years after losing 200 pounds. Due to a personal tragedy I gained and hit the 190 mark a year ago. After several starts it finally clicked and I am back to goal losing 60 pounds of regain. Here are some steps that helped me and I hope they will help you too! You may have several starts and stops but don't give up, don't beat yourself up. IT WILL CLICK!!!

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer. I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Melly_Belly
on 10/18/17 10:23 am - WI

Kathy -

WOW! This is super helpful - thank you!!

And it's all stuff we know to do...I just need to DO it.

I appreciate your support

Most Active