NSV - New Job

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/17 8:34 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I was so worried about my new job and how physical it was! I mean, I was terrified. I work as a CNA in a memory care wing in a nursing home. They are at the end stages, therefore they need very hands on care. Moving, lifting, etc. I've been there about 2 weeks now and have done great. I move around like crazy, probably get 13-15k steps in a day on my fitbit and can hold up. Only problem was my feet were KILLING me until I bought a new pair of shoes. I was wearing Nike and they just crushed my feet half way through the shift, so I did some research and spent money on Brooks shoes and it is awesome.

Laura in Texas
on 12/23/17 6:02 am

I am so glad to hear your new job is going well. Do you wear some sort of belt to help your back with the lifting?

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/17 1:01 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

No, no belt or anything for my back. I never thought about one. Most of my hall is all 2 person, or mechanical lifts.

Laura in Texas
on 12/23/17 2:54 pm

I think you should look into some sort of belt to help your back.

You are young, but as someone in my 50's, I can tell you years of not taking care of my back is hurting me now.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

seattledeb
on 12/23/17 10:51 pm

The lifts are pretty cool. Hopefully the OP is well versed in using them. They really work great.

I made it through my career without killing my back. We always did 2 person and then at the end of my run the lifts came in. An ole grumpy nurse taught me how to take care of my back when I was a baby nurse. Loved her.

sweetpotato1959
on 12/25/17 11:25 am

I have been where you are now, doing patient care with team care. ... please consider doing side leg lifts ...when you lie down flex knees and lift leg up and hold kees 4-6 inches apart for slow count of 5, let down and lift slowly repeat 5x each side... it will strengthen your lower back... if you don't neeed it now, you will later. Once you have hurt your back it is too late not to be " never a back patient/injury". Once your back is injured it can take weeks to fully gain strength.. much easier to build it now.

Great job on choosing the shoes.. I get mens work, gel,insoles to add to my shoes..and buy mens shoes since i still have big feet, too big to buy womens shoes easily... watch for sales at true shoe stores... buy an extra pair of the ones that wok best for your feet, to change up every week or two, will extend the life of both pair. Merry Christmas!

Denise
White Dove
on 12/23/17 9:13 am - Warren, OH

Are you actually lifting by yourself or using mechanical lifts?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/17 12:59 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

There is only one person on my hall who is light and small enough for a 1 person lift and transfer. Everyone else is either two people, or requires mechanical lifts. So, there isn't a huge demand on my back, thank goodness.

diane S.
on 12/23/17 10:53 am

Bless you for doing this work. My mother benefited so much from dedicated CNA workers in her long journey with Parkinson's disease. Glad the new job is going well. I am going to check into Brooks shoes. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/17 1:01 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Thank you! I agree, I know so many see them as "grunts" in the field, but the work they/we do is so important. I'm enjoying it, but I am very thankful that they are going to put me through nursing school. Definitely recommend Brooks now! They are perfect even on my long, wide feet. I'm going to buy another pair just to alternate them every day.

Most Active