Newbie here! Advise needed!

Sara-Starr
on 4/13/18 4:58 pm

So, I've only just begun the process, and I've already become discouraged. Without going into it too much, my referall went through super fast, BUT the nurse said I had to wait a year to send another referral, because I hadn't quit smoking for six months, and I hadn't done a documented diet. So obviously I'm a little upset. However I don't understand what I need to do, and she didn't seem to understand herself. I will be going to the Guelph Ontario clinic. Does anyone know anything I can do? Also what weight loss programs are approved? Do I have to spend an arm and a leg? Ugh. Help!

Kathleen W.
on 4/13/18 5:28 pm - Lancaster, PA

First thing is to calm down and don't get fustrated. It's a rather daunting task, especially in the beginning. Find out if there's a case manager or someone higher up that can explain things to you. I don't know how it is where you're having it done, but where I'm at, it takes 6-8 months from the first meeting with the doctor to where they do the surgery. My doctor had me do a supervised diet, get clearances from a cardiologist, psych evaluation, pulminary( I had sleep apnea). See what you need to do so you can get your surgery.

PS: I was able to do Weigh****chers for my weight loss program .

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

CJ On Orcas
on 4/13/18 8:11 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

For most people it is a long process. It was a year feom when my doctor first referred me until I had WLS. Lot of hoops to jump through. But it is so worthwhile.

seattledeb
on 4/13/18 10:53 pm

You gotta quit smoking. They won't do an elective surgery on an overweight higher risk anesthesia patient who smokes.

Daisydoo02
on 4/14/18 8:13 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

You are best to head over to the "Ontario" board, lots of Guelph patients there.

Anyone looking to get WLS has to be a non smoker and proven they have not smoked in at least 6 months. They do blood tests to check if you have truly quit.

Documented diet is easy, use MyFitnessPal or a good old pen & paper.

I am sure you are discouraged but it's for your own health to go into surgery as a non smoker.

Dont let this stop you from making the changes and pursuing WLS, it's the best thing I ever did for myself.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

MarinaGirl
on 4/14/18 10:07 am

Check out Ontario Forum (aka Bariatric Surgery in Canada forum). The folks there can provide great guidance on the WLS approval process in your province and the Guelph program.

MeerKat1994
on 4/15/18 7:32 am
RNY on 05/09/17

I don't know about the hospital, but I would encourage to look at this year as a blessing. I only had a sixth month requirement. But due to a failed insurance approval and a change of hospitals, my process took over a year. And while it was devastating and annoying then, it has proven to be a great foundation for me. Use this time to begin to overcome your addictions and unhealthy relationship with food.

I heard this expression that is "you tomorrow starts today" and I think you can even say "Your post op success starts on your pre-op success".

That being said, it does suck to have to wait. Sorry that you have that disappointment. :(

crqvingchange
on 4/15/18 12:35 pm

Congrats on beginning the process. I went through Guelph. From what I have read they really want you smoke-free for 6 months and on a documented weightloss program. I think WW will work.

They are trying to see if you will follow the plan after surgery. The province is paying for it and they want to know that you will be committed to the process, especially now that the followup years have been shortened. There will be other hoops that you have to jump through before you get your surgery. You may have to do a sleep study, have scans, and blood work, meetings (usually 3 for each except surgeon and internist) with nutritionists, nurses, social workers, internist (Dr. Agarwal) and then the final meet with the surgeon. This is not a fast process, but you can't change it so take this time to learn as much as you can, research here, and start making changes now.

My time from referral to surgery was 18 months. Not everyone is that long now. I have no regrets. The vets are right when they say that they don't operate on your brain just your stomach. Surgery will give you a jumpstart on weightloss, but you have to do the work to keep the weight off. Anyone can eat around the surgery.

Wishing you success.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

oneatatime
on 4/16/18 7:31 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi Sara,

Like the others, I encourage you to come over to the Ontario board for specific advice about surgeon Ontario. We can really support you there. Lots of folks have been through the Guelph program.

As for which diets count: someone mentions weigh****chers. another option would be to ask your doctor for a referral to a dietician, then follow their program. You'd have to meet with them regularly and document it, but your insurance may cover the cost of a dietitian. There are many other options too if neither of those seem right for you.

Good luck. The time passes quickly so hopefully you can use it well.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Most Active