Life After Lane Bryant's

Kathy S.
on 8/14/18 9:30 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Don't get me wrong, if it were not for Lane Bryant's the clothes issue could have been more of a nightmare. Me, when I hit sizes 26/28 I didn't care anymore but still had to go to work and could not wear tent dresses or sweats. There are more larger size choices today but back in my day LB was it

So let's be honest, we take the big step to have surgery and as the weight starts to come off we realize I just may do this I use to walk the malls (yes we use to do that to in my day) and look at all the stores I only dreamed of going in, much less buy something. One stood out for me, one was on the top of my list.

Victoria's Secret, I think that was my husbands #1 too There was something about going in there and buy all the pretty girlie stuff.

What was/is your #1 goal place to shop? You can have more than one

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Writergurl08
on 8/14/18 9:42 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I never gave much thought to it because I've never been much up on what stores and brands were "cool." But I did go shopping with my normie-size cousin on several occasions and she loves Vanity. I've liked several things in that store, so I look forward to being able to shop there!

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Kathy S.
on 8/14/18 9:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your surgery and putting shopping at Vanity on your WLS bucket list

Fashion was not in my vocabulary and I just wanted to walk into stores and not get stares. I will have to post my experience in a White and Black store (I think they are called White House/Black Market now). It was right out of the Julia Roberts movie Pretty Women only it was not **** shaming it was fat shaming at it's best

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/18 12:22 pm

White House Black Market is one of my favorite stores! I am glad I ventured in when at goal and not soured to go in there now by having a mean or nasty experience like it sounds like you had. I do find them Pushy though and there is one in particular near me I avoid going in! I am near a few malls within an hour of me. I Order online or go to the laid back store instead! They recently added plus sizes online I noticed so they better stop that attitude. So rude.

i have always been a clothes horse and loved dressing up and am good at putting things together even when a 3x. I love Macys, WHBM, Lord and Taylor, loft, Ann Taylor, banana Republic, talbots. I can really find something anywhere it seems. In my element while shopping.

Kathy, like you I too loved going in Victoria Secret... I have a nice collection of colorful bras something I never had when I was 130 lbs heavier. It was boring white or nude colored ones.

Another thing I love and rock now is scarves... in fall, winter and spring! They make outfits look good. High heels another addition that I never wore. Fun girly stuff!

Kathy S.
on 8/15/18 10:07 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Larger size options are much better today than back in 2004, but that being said like you it's so much fun to have pretty and colorful. Congrats on enjoying life as it's meant to be enjoyed

PS...I love scarves too! I knit these in every color. Wear them and sell them

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/18 5:23 pm

Wow you are talented! The scarves look beautiful!!

I want to learn to knit or crochet! I love all the gorgeous blankets people made me when my girls were babies. I kept them all I received 5 between my 2 babies and each one so pretty and special knowing someone spent so much time with my baby in mind! I want to be able to do that now! Pay that forward ! Lol!!!! Maybe I find someone who gives lessons! Which knit or crochet??? Not sure which .... I think crochet harder?

Partlypollyanna
on 8/14/18 9:54 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I went to LB for a bra fitting a few weeks ago and they told me I'm in the last option for their bras. It made me realIze that at some point I am going to "have" to shop in normal size stores I don't even know how/where to get started. Still a bit away from that thought so decided it's a problem for another day (and another -45 lbs).

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

jenorama
on 8/14/18 3:09 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I can recommend Soma for bras and undies. Their ladies are really good and will bring you as many sizes as you want. Keep in mind that you don't always go down in both cup and band. You might go down in cup, but up in a band size and if you go up in a cup for a better fit, you'll want to go down in the band size.

I've never had anything from VS fit me well, but I wear Soma's Stunning Support balconette underwire every day and it's never given me any trouble. When I go for a fitting, I jump around, bend over, sit down and stick my arms out in front like I'm driving or at a desk.

For the undies, I like the vanishing edge modern brief style. Super comfy, high quality and the rear edges have a bit of rubber so they don't ride up. Kind of on the pricey side, but worth it in my opinion.

Jen

Partlypollyanna
on 8/14/18 4:32 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Awesome! I've seen their storefront but never been in!! I will check them out for my next options.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

NYMom222
on 8/16/18 7:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Actually one of the sales women at Soma gave me great advice as I was losing. She said to buy the next size down and then buy a bra extender. It gave me more inches to work with before I would need a new bra. Great advice because they are expensive.

I remember a Soma store was one of the first places I got excited about being a normal size. They had summer dresses out, and she kept bringing me size Larges. They fit and all I could think is - She thinks I am a large.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active