First meeting with surgeon next week

Readerwoman8
on 3/11/16 5:05 pm

Hi! I am 57 years old and am over halfway through my 6 month pre-op diet/therapy. Pretty excited to talk to the surgeon (okay, probably a physician assistant) and see what requirements they will have for me. I am in Washington State and my surgery will be done at the University of Washington. Last week I attended a seminar down there and it feels really good to actually now have an appointment.

I am unclear right now though as to which surgery to get ... the RNY or VSG. In my head I always thought that I would get the sleeve if I ever had WLS, but am also looking deeper into the RNY. I don't have diabetes, but I do have over 200 pounds to lose, and really want to make the right decision to maximize my weightloss. So it will be good to hear what the surgeon suggests.

How about you guys? How did you make your decision on what surgery to have? Any regret?

-Judy

acbbrown
on 3/11/16 9:23 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I started at 420 lbs. never really considered RNY for a lot of reasons. After the first 12-18 months, it's basically a restrictive only surgery and doesn't provide any additional benefits in maintaining weight loss. But you malabsorb vitamins for life, lose your pyloric valve, and have other major risk factors. For me, simply cutting away part of my stomach and keeping normal function was a much better option. 

I got down to 188 after my sleeve. But put weight back on bc I never dealt with the real reasons I ate. Now I'm losing the regain and the sleeve makes it possible. I wouldn't change a thing. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Readerwoman8
on 3/14/16 2:15 pm

Thank you so much for your response! Your success is very inspiring and I hope to succeed after surgery too!

selhard
on 3/12/16 1:52 am, edited 3/12/16 3:36 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Type II made it pretty much a no-brainer to both the medical team and me RNY was it.  I said "medical team" and not "surgeon"  because it continues to feel like a team effort to make WLS a success.  My contact with the center for weight management is on-going due to lifetime follow-up appointments, support group meetings, and fun things like holiday parties.  I spend hours per week on this on-line support group, as well.  I have no surgery regrets despite a major complication--bowel obstruction/hernia.  From my four-year experience reading, researching, going through WLS myself, follow-up appointments, and regular support group attendance, I would not go back in time and choose the VSG because I needed more powerful ammunition RNY provides, risks and all.  

Readerwoman8
on 3/14/16 2:19 pm

Thank you so much for your response! I completely understand what you mean about "medical team". I have really felt blessed with the support I have received so far from my visits to the nutritionist, physical therapist and behavior modification therapist .... and am really looking forward to meeting the team at UW! Congratulations on your success!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/12/16 6:18 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I went with the vsg & am happy with my choice. I wasn't crazy about the re routing of my intestines & I felt a restrictive only procedure was best for me. The stats between the 2 are pretty close after the 5 year mark, but rny'rs have a little bit of an edge over vsg'rs, but they malabsorb nutrients for life, & vsg'rs can have gerd issues.

There are pros & cons with each surgery, you'll just have to figure out which one you can live with, good luck in whatever you choose to do. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Readerwoman8
on 3/14/16 2:21 pm

Thanks for your kind response! I always thought that I would have the VSG, but since I have the choice, am looking closely at the RNY too. It is so inspiring hearing from you that you are happy with your VSG choice!

NYMom222
on 3/13/16 3:28 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I was at a stage of my life, menopausal, 55 and had dealt with my food issues-head wise and I still couldn't reverse the damage I had done to my body. Even when I was being faithfully restrictive in my diet I didn't lose anything significant, and I also had 200+ lbs to lose.

That being said, I didn't think a restriction only procedure would work for me, I needed that edge to get me going to goal. I wasn't getting any younger. :) I had surgery 2 days before my 56th birthday. No regrets having RNY.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Readerwoman8
on 3/14/16 2:27 pm

Being older myself, I completely understand your desire to lose as much weight as possible in as short a time as possible! I have bad knees which have qualified me for surgery with my insurance company, and was told by a surgeon that knee replacement would only be considered if I had a BMI lower than 30. That is a lot of weight to lose on my end, and while I hopefully won't need surgery for several years, I do want to have the option later on. Thanks for your input on the RNY! And congratulations on your amazing journey!!

ChristyO
on 3/14/16 2:17 pm
RNY on 02/01/16

I knew early on I was doing the gastric bypass RNY, because the information I received said it is the gold standard and has had the best results for long-term weight loss.  What nobody told me and no one said in the classes I took is how slow the weight loss would really be, I'm really disappointed about that I had surgery February 1st I've only lost 17 pounds after the surgery, if you need to lose over 200 pounds you don't have a choice you've got to do the RNY, I don't think you'd ever get that much off with the sleeve at this point I don't know how much I can even get off with the RNY.  And also cured my acid reflux the surgery definitely cures that I've also been told it will cure diabetes and high blood pressure but I don't have those problems I'm not discouraged I will keep working at this but just wish I had gotten the big drop in the very beginning.

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

Most Active