Type Two and Complications

Melody P.
on 7/17/17 5:49 pm - Amarillo, TX

I have had to deal with a lot of diabetes complications. Mostly my eyes. I have had to have surgery on my left eye and I think it'll soon be the right eyes turn later this year. I have diabetic retinopathy. Also dental problems(also from diabetes and mental health medications)

For so long I didn't care what I put in my mouth. I was killing myself bite by bite. Over 15 years of uncontrolled numbers. That's a long time to not give a hoot! The year after my grandpa passed I finally started to care. I have had 4 years of solid A1c numbers. Under 7 and even at one point 5.9

The thing that bothers me the most is my teeth. Well, lack there of. Earlier this year I had to get a top denture. There I said it. Those years caught up with me and I was in great pain. I also had to get my partial on the bottom expanded after getting two teeth removed during the upper teeth removal. I was and occasionally am embarrassed! But you know what? Now I can smile and my horrible teeth are gone and the denture looks very natural. It'll look even better when I get my permanents.

Today I'm wanting to eat the house it seems. I know this will pass but it makes me sad that I was such a lonely despondent person back then. Some times reflection is a good thing and sometimes it isn't. Today it is good, for the most part. I see that I have over come a lot.

I WILL beat this thing.

NickysMom
on 7/25/17 6:12 am
RNY on 03/06/17

Hello,

I also have type 2 diabetes, I was diagnosed when I was 21 (16 years ago). I have struggled with it ever since then. I honestly thought that having this surgery was going to make it magically go away as I've heard from so many other people on here and in my support group meetings but unfortunately that is not the case for everyone. My sugars are still really high, and I am almost 5 months post-op.

Thanks for sharing your story. I have noticed that there are never too many posts in the diabetes forums. So does that mean there are not a lot of diabetics on here who have had WLS? Or maybe they are all in "remission" now? I'm not sure.

Good luck to you in your journey. We will beat this!

~ Kristen ~ RNY 03/06/17

HW 405 (in 2009) Pre-op 326 SW 311 CW 226

Tatblessed
on 4/4/18 10:15 am
VSG on 01/25/18

Hello I'm 4 months post op and I still have diabetes my sugars are well controlled though I'm hoping soon I'll be free of it may I ask if you still have diabetes? And how long it took you to not have it?

Melody P.
on 6/4/18 5:34 pm - Amarillo, TX

Just seeing this. I had VSG surgery on 3-14-18. In the hospital I had to have a couple shots of insulin and about 5 days after I went home I had a small shot of maybe 5 units. Since then i have had ZERO shots, no metformin. I took an at home a1c test and it was 5.4 which is in the normal range. It hasn't been easy but the whole process has been a very positive experience.

I had been taking 5 shots a day for over 7 years. It is a weird thing to me still...not taking the shots. I am so thankful though and I know i'm also very lucky!

dorothy1110
on 9/16/17 7:40 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

I hope your Dr. can get your sugars under control. I am 10 days post-op and so far my diabetes are doing good. I was on Novolin N 55 units in morning and 30 units at night, and Novolog 30 units at meals before surgery. Came home prescribed Lantus 10 units and Novolog 30 units at meals. I am now taking only 15 units of Novolog in the morning only. My sugars are mostly under 100, highest since surgery was 122. I know the feeling of ignoring your diabetes I did that for a couple years or so and decided last year I wanted to get everything straightened out. Besides going to my PCP I also started going to a Endocronoligist (spelled wrong). She has gotten my A1C from around 11 to 5.5 and I started loosing weight and decided on Gastric Bypass. I hope everything straightens out for you Good luck.

Lishamc1
on 9/19/17 7:38 am

I'm 28 years old, been diagnosed diabetic for 6 years (2 years prior they just said I was pre diabetic but never did blood tests) I was a yoyo, eat healthy and lose weight to put whatever in my mouth and gain it all back and more. No one ever discussed weight loss surgery until my current doctor, the first day I met him he mentioned doing weight loss surgery. I of course was completely against it until my 3rd visit with him and he showed me he wasnt messing around by starting me on insulin. I was devastated. My a1c when diagnosed was 9.8, before surgery it was 6.4, I was on 14 units of lantus at night along with all my oral meds. I am now 7 days post op off all oral meds and only take sliding scale of novolg 4 times a day as needed (which hasnt been very often)

MichelleS61
on 6/5/18 6:37 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

I'm a type 2 and am still taking insulin 3 months out I'm down to 8-10 units with meals and 10 units Long acting at night plus metformin, I've had diabetes for 15 years. My A1C at one month post op was down to 6.0 and will be getting tested again, I'd reached the point where I was up to 40 units with meals and 50 units at night, so it's a big improvement, research shows that if you are 10+ year after diagnosis remission is less likely, but I'm still hoping.

Although my A1C's were pretty good usually around 6.5 to 7.0 the increasing amounts of insulin to keep it there were one of my major catalysts for having WLS. I know I'm getting healthier as my weight goes down, but know now I might still have to take all my meds.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 160 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 489 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 831 views