Shopping DS Surgeons in Mexico

Dudette
on 6/2/11 10:54 am, edited 6/2/11 10:54 am - Edina, MN
I haven't decided whether I should do it before or after. I am getting some restorative work done on my lower teeth and probably 6-8 crowns. I spent a small fortune getting my upper teeth done a few years back. They look gorgeous. But by the time I was done I couldn't afford to get the lower ones done. And they need it desperately. Dental is about 1/3 the cost in Mexico than it is up here in the Midwest.

If I get it done before I am concerned about bacteria floating around in my system from the dental work and potential root canals, etc. Probably not good pre-surgery without taking a good course of anti-biotics first. Not sure about the downsides of doing it after the DS surgery... other than the general discomfort that I'll probably already be experiencing. ???
beemerbeeper
on 6/2/11 11:49 am - AL
Some folks bounce right back after their DS.  Some don't.  I don't know how old you are, what your BMI is, or what your general physical condition is.  I think that all plays a part.

As for me it was way more than "general discomfort."  The biggest challenge for me was staying hydrated.  Sipping was a full time job and I couldn't get enough fluids in.  Feeling dehydrated on top of recovering from such a major surgery (and mine was done lap) just made me feel terrible.

I went to the ER during week 3 post op and got fluids and started to recover after that.

There is no way for anyone to understand how simply drinking fluids can be so difficult and time consuming until you've been through it. 

If anyone had mentioned the thought of having to sit in a dental chair during the first month post-op I would have laughed at them.  I simply could not have done it.

But you seem to have everything sorted out so I'm sure you will do fine.

~Becky

Lisa A.
on 6/2/11 9:44 pm - Windsor, NY
Becky -

I will second you on staying hydrated. That became a full time job for me and I also ended up having to go to the hospital for hydration. I don't thing you can undestand how hard it is to stay hydrated until you go through something like this. I know it sounds silly and easy. "All you have to do is drink water" Well now I can laugh about it but back then I was just trying to survive. It's not too easy to keep hydrated and drink when you I was so sick and throwing up all the time for months. Not saying this to scare anyone but people just need to be aware of what can and does happen to some (not all) but some people.

I also could have never contemplated a dental procedure after DS surgery but hey there are those people on this board that have had a wonderful, uneventful recovery and I envy them and I hope you are one of those people.

I do hope that you will have someone to help you after surgery (that was a must for me).

teachmid
on 6/2/11 10:43 am - OKC, OK
Just a comment: a long road trip, sitting in the car, is going to put you at higher risk for a DVT (blood clots). Just a thought to keep in mind.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Dudette
on 6/2/11 10:47 am - Edina, MN
 That's why I am not planning on returning immediately after the surgery. I am going to take my time. I am VERY concerned about DVT. A good friend of mine died from it after having knee surgery last year (he was a marathon runner and blew out his knee).  I think that is one of the complications that I am most worried about.
Lisa A.
on 6/2/11 9:46 pm - Windsor, NY
If you are that worried about it have a IVC filter placed in you before surgery. My surgeon didn't require me to get one (my BMI wasn't high enough for his "MUST" have one list) but I wanted one anyways. I didn't even want to take the chance of a blood clot. Then after surgery for 7 days I had to get Lovenox shots for bloodclots in my belly.

Dudette
on 6/3/11 4:56 am - Edina, MN
Awesome advice. Thanks! My BMI is 46. I have already dropped 10 lbs. in the past month. Just knowing that I am going to move forward and do this has made eating healthier and excercising much easier and more enjoyable. My goal is to get my BMI down as close to 40 as I can by the time I have surgery. Hopefully that will help some. Regardless, I will discuss the IVC filter with my surgeon.
KarenFlorida
on 6/2/11 11:19 am - Orlando, FL
Probably should do the dental work AFTER your DS surgery. Getting intubated (the breathing tube they put in for general anesthesia) could damage any dental work that is a bit loose/ not completely healed such as crowns, implants, etc. This would be riskiest if they are the front teeth. Bacteria from the dental work could pose an infection risk too, whether it's before or after surgery. I would discuss timing with your DS surgeon, once you have chosen one. Sounds brutal, having both so close together! Good luck! The only surgeon I have heard good things about, in Mexico, is Dr Ungson, btw.
Karen
Dudette
on 6/2/11 11:45 am, edited 6/2/11 11:46 am - Edina, MN
Very good point! (About the breathing tube) I will run it by the surgeon before I schedule that part. I'm not too worried about the discomfort. I figure I'll be miserable anyway... why not just get it all over with at once. LOL!

I''ve had major dental work before... and I've had a 10 pound baby via C-Section after 27 hours of labor, so I am not altogether unfamilar with what I am getting myself into. I'm sure I can handle it just fine.

In addition to Surgeon's I have also been looking at the hospitals where those surgeon's do their thing. I have to say that I am not all that impressed with Dr. Ungson's  CIMA Hospital in Hermisillo or Dr. Aceves Hospital Almater in Mexicali.

Of all the hospitals in Mexico I've looked at, the Hospital San Jose' Tec in Monterrey seems the closest to the quality of hospitals we have up here in Minneapolis. There are two bariatric surgeons that practice there that have good reviews from OH users: Dr. Horacio J. Guajardo and Dr. Rumbaut. I am considering contacting one or both of them just to check them out. Has anyone else here had any experience with either?
beemerbeeper
on 6/2/11 11:51 am - AL
I'm not going to respond to any more of your posts for a while because to be blunt you are a know-it-all and are not listening to a damn thing anyone is telling you.

The ONLY DS surgeon in Mexico is Ungson.  

And a C-section is nothing like this surgery.  Nothing.

Good luck.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1060 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1222 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 506 views