Shopping DS Surgeons in Mexico

Dudette
on 6/2/11 9:37 am, edited 6/2/11 9:50 am - Edina, MN
Hello Everyone!

I have been lurking here for about a month and have read volumes of posts in this DS Forum. I have decided that DS is the surgery for me and my goal is to have it done in Mexico (self-pay) before the end of the summer.

First, let me get this out of the way: Ungson, Ungson, Ungson. Yes, I know. He's the only DS surgeon in Mexico, blah, blah, blah.

I am leaning towards Dr. Ungson, but I am checking out a few other competent surgeons in Mexico just for comparison. One of the surgeon's I am looking at is Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. I have emailed their office and got a reply back within a few hours (a pleasant surprise!). The response was from the Patient Coordinator in his actual office. I'm smart enough to tell the difference between one of those medical tourism middlemen companies and going right to the source. 

Anyway, Dr. Aceves has great reviews here on OH, seems to be very experienced in the field, and DOES do the DS laparoscopically. His office even followed up the next day with a detailed quote for all services. The price quoted was very competitive, yet not so cheap that it seemed too good to be true.

Then there's Dr. Ungson. I still haven't heard back from his office. Not sure what to make of that. From what I've read here he is probably $4 grand more for the same procedure (DS lap). He's also further from the border which makes me nervous. Getting carjacked by banditos is a bit of a concern. LOL!! I am planning on driving from Minneapolis. Not to save money per se, but I have a BMW 2 seat roadster that my Dad restored and gave me as a B-day present last year. I want to drive down there purely for fun.

The other thing that makes me wonder about Ungson is that he seems to have at least 3 (and possibly more) web sites. What's up with that? Somewhat unprofessional. I worked for an ISP for 10 years... so that sort of raises some flags with me.

Web site #1 - Listen to the background music here. There's a woman talking behind the music. Super weird! Is it supposed to be some sort of subliminat advertising or what? Does anyone else find that kind of creepy?
http://www.clexci.com

Web site #2: http://www.drungson.com/eng/obe/swi.htm  

Web site #3: http://www.surgicalbariatric.com

So.... any feedback on these two surgeons or any other surgeons who perform DS in Mexico? I am not looking for the cheapest price... but would like one or two options to consider in addition to Ungson. Really looking forward to everyone's thoughts and comments. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 9:56 am
This is not a time to bargain shop.  You need to know how MANY DS surgeries the surgeon has done in the last year and how MANY of those had complications.  You need to know who the surgeon proctored under.

Also, don't pick a surgeon by how their website is run.

Dr. Ungson is the ONLY VETTED DS surgeon in Mexico. He proctored under Dr. Baltasar in Spain. Dr. B. is a world famous surgeon and his training is top-notch. He performed his first DS surgery in 1977. There is not another surgeon in Mexico that I would recommend at this time.

Dr. Ungson was on my short list in 2005, but I was a revision and at the time he had only done 6 revision surgeries, but if I had been a virgin DS, I would have gone to him.

Good luck,
Michele
Dudette
on 6/2/11 10:14 am - Edina, MN
I'm not bargain shopping. I thought I stated that clearly in my post. I am comparison shopping... based on a number of factors... the least of which is price.

I AM seriously considering Ungson, but surely there are one or two other surgeons in Mexico that I could compare to him??? Even if the comparison ultimately ends up in Ungson's favor.

Perhaps I could rephrase my question:

If Dr. Ungson got hit by a Mack Truck tomorrow.... is there one or two other surgeons in Mexico worth considering for a virgin DS?

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 10:31 am
Nope.
smileyjamie72
on 6/2/11 9:56 am, edited 6/2/11 9:57 am - Palmer, AK

Have you tried DSfacts.com?
http://www.dsfacts.com/

http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeo ns.html

I personally would be weary of another doc.  Last year a lady (Larissa) went to a doc everyone here warned her aganist & the doc nearly killed her.  Please be aware that money is not everything!!!!
The lady in his office is named Luz.

Take Care & keep us posted!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Dudette
on 6/2/11 10:44 am, edited 6/2/11 10:44 am - Edina, MN
 Thanks Jamie!

Yup, I have been all over the DSFacts.com site with a fine tooth comb. There's some good info there that I have taken into consideration. Although the list on that site is very good, I don't think it's necessarily all inclusive.

Here's why I say that:

I was scheduled for a DS here in MN about 24 mos. ago with an excellent, experienced surgeon in a large bariatric practice here in Minneapolis. I checked him out relentlessly. He's one of the top guys (as chosen by his peers in our area) and I personally know several people who used him. However, he is NOT on the DSFacts.com list.  Does that make him a bad DS surgeon. I doubt it.

Anyway, to make a long story short, 5 weeks before by scheduled surgery the company I worked for was sold and changed insurance companies. My planned WLS went down the drain and I ended up at square one. Huge bummer. Now I am planning to just pay for it myself, go to Mexico and not jump through another 6 mos. worth of hoops again.

Re: Going to surgeons with a bad track record... I think I know the doc that you are talking about that everyone warned against. That one has already been scratched off my list.

I am really only considering Ungson and Aceves right now... but I'd like one or two others names to consider. I WON'T be going with the cheapest. However, being told that there is ONLY one choice without  giving me the benefit of the doubt to make an informed decision for myself kind of raises some red flags with me. If Ungson is really that good... I am sure I will choose him.

So, having said that... is there anyone else I can look at before I make my final decision? Surely not every single person in this forum had their surgery in Mexico from this one guy/? Did they? ;-p
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 10:00 am, edited 6/1/11 10:01 pm
PS. The closer you are to the border, the more likely there is to be trouble. There have been zero reports of any trouble from Dr. Ungson's patients. He has someone pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel and the hospital.

Driving?? You are kidding, right? This is major, major surgery and you are not going to feel like a road trip afterwards.
beemerbeeper
on 6/2/11 10:12 am - AL
While driving TO Mexico sounds like fun I assume you will have to drive or ride HOME after?  That would have been pure HELL for me.  There is NO way I could have done that.  Of course is someone else is driving your car home and you are flying then nevermind.

The only Mexican surgeon I have heard of that is considred vetted for the DS in Ungson so I can't help you there.

~Becky

Dudette
on 6/2/11 10:24 am - Edina, MN
 I wasn't planning on getting the surgery and turning around and driving back immediately. LOL!  That WOULD be awful!

I am also planning on having some dental work done while I am down there (either before or after the DS... not sure yet). In all, I am planning on spending at least few weeks in Mexico or SoCal to recoup and then take my time coming back.  I don't have to be back in Minnesota until the beginning of Sept.
beemerbeeper
on 6/2/11 10:32 am - AL
I assume you are more prepared for how difficult the recovry can be from the DS than I was (for some people.)

Are you getting dental work done before or after your surgery?

What a trip you have planned.  I don't envy you.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 685 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1007 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views